2x12 cab recommendations?

• I've been a kemper user for almost 3 years, and have been exclusively FRFR with my Yamaha DXR 12s . I love them, but lately I've thoufht about having the "real amp sound and feel" on stage lately. I've been playing real amps lately and just miss that at times, and wouldn't mind having that as an option, especially for smaller unmicd gigs where in my opinion , an amp on stage unmicd canoften sound better than a digital rig straight through the PA.

so, I'm looking for opinions. I will still use FRFR , and that's what I use to dial in my tones1, so I'm not worried about a 2x12 " coloring"u sound verses what is
    Going to the FOH AND in fact, I welcome that for my particular situation, as I know already exactly what I'm sending direct to the FOH.

so I'm playing mostly rock and country oriented stuff, mostly using m britt profiles for almost everything.

What would you guys reccomend? Alnico Blues? Golds? V30s? Greenback?

the tech 21 power engine is also an option, as it may satisfy my want for an amp on stage type of feel.

• Hi
    i can't recommend any 2x12 can but I can give you my opinion regarding the PE60
    I didn't like how it sounded with the Kemper whether it was with cab on or off. I Then swapped the speaker with a beyma 12ga50 and I think it sounds great. I guess it's inbetween frfr and real cab so it may not be what you're looking for.
    HTH

• I'm in the same situation as you, having Atomic CLR's and Yamaha DXR 10's.
    I'm doing a project now retrofitting my toaster with the Ambrosi poweramp, just for fun.
    In my real amp life I'm mainly a voc AC 15 and 30 player with a love for old Marshall (Plexi/Superlead). the speaker that delivers in both territories is the Greenback. The Alnico Blues would sit more in Voxland and the V30's are too 'Marshall only' IMO. (The Golds I don't have hands-on experience with)
    So I ordered a Palmer 1x12" cab with a Greenback in it. It's also available as 2x12" I think.

• Ingolf, did you consider a creamback? An improved version of the GB, imo, as far as that's possible.

Yeah I considered it briefly. Went for the classic Greenback though because i know that speaker very well from a former Vox AC 30 that I owned. The 2 Voxes that I currently own have Alnico blues.

• Yeah I considered it briefly. Went for the classic Greenback though because i know that speaker very well from a former Vox AC 30 that I owned. The 2 Voxes that I currently own have Alnico blues.

To each its own, I guess. I personally much prefer it. Mostly because I don't go larger than a 212 if it's gotta be practical and then a high powered amplifier is a problem. :(
    I also vastly prefer the GB in a Vox over the AB.

• To each its own, I guess. I personally much prefer it. Mostly because I don't go larger than a 212 if it's gotta be practical and then a high powered amplifier is a problem. :(
    I also vastly prefer the GB in a Vox over the AB.

Yes, to each his own. When you need more power than a Greenback can handle- the Creamback is for you.
    As to GB vs. Alnico blue: both have strengths and weaknesses. The GB is the better allrounder - raunchy and raw. But the AB is still the reference for chimey and elegant Vox breakup. When I had two AC 30's at the same time (one stock with GB's and one HW with AB) I much preferred the HW, so I sold the other one in the end.
    I might experiment with one GB and one AB in an AC 30 some time. ;)

• I'm with InGolf on the Greenbacks. I did some extensive cab testing when I had my powered rack on about 10 different cabs and speaker combinations. The only speaker I haven't tried is the newer Creamback versons. They seem to sound great as well.

I found that I had a lot more differentiation with the Greenbacks than the V30's. I play a heavier style of music and the Greenbacks work great for me. I found the V30s didn't give the profiles as much differentiation with the cab off setting.

I'm still working with some FRFR solutions but with the ISP stealth in a rack mount version now, I may just get that and a 2x12 cab and stay that route. Still deciding though.

Edited 3 times, last by PBGas ().

• I am really pleased with a 65 Amps 2 x 12 with a Celestion G12 H and a Blue. I tried a number of different combinations...A Port City 2 x 12 w/ Jensen Neos (A bit on the dark side), a Forte w/Scumbacks, various Marshall 2 x 12s, and a Diamond 4 x 12 w/ V30s (this sounded great, but I damn sure don't want to be lugging around a 4 x 12!). I also tried a couple of FRFRs (Matrix and Atomic), and didn't really vibe with them. Although, to be fair, I didn't get to spend all that much time with either. I generally use more classic rock type tones, and I found the combination of the G12H and the Blue gave a lot more "chime", and felt much more like a traditional amp than any other cabinet. Judging from the styles you mentioned, this set up might be worth checking out.

• For me Mesa with V30 its still No1! ;) but... waiting for new cab from DL 2x12 with eminence v12 and Creamback 65 :thumbup:

Stay Metal!

I was sceptical at first as I don't always enjoy the Mesa sound, but the Mesa 2x12 in SinMix's profiles has become my favorite cab of all time. It just works so well for EVERYTHING, whether it's on its own or in a mix, even when compared to other really nice custom 2x12 cabs.

• I run a pair of Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 slant cabs (closed back) stacked on top of one another. Toaster running through a Carvin DCM1000L power amp. The sound is very large! Nowhere near as heavy as a pair of 4 x 12's but still punches me in the back of the head on a big stage. Running direct out to FOH for main purposes but the 2 x 12's cover me on stage.

• Yes, to each his own. When you need more power than a Greenback can handle- the Creamback is for you.
    As to GB vs. Alnico blue: both have strengths and weaknesses. The GB is the better allrounder - raunchy and raw. But the AB is still the reference for chimey and elegant Vox breakup. When I had two AC 30's at the same time (one stock with GB's and one HW with AB) I much preferred the HW, so I sold the other one in the end.
    I might experiment with one GB and one AB in an AC 30 some time. ;)

Good plan! I only used my Vox dimed, might explain a little better why I prefer the GB. ^^

• I am really pleased with a 65 Amps 2 x 12 with a Celestion G12 H and a Blue. I tried a number of different combinations...A Port City 2 x 12 w/ Jensen Neos (A bit on the dark side), a Forte w/Scumbacks, various Marshall 2 x 12s, and a Diamond 4 x 12 w/ V30s (this sounded great, but I damn sure don't want to be lugging around a 4 x 12!). I also tried a couple of FRFRs (Matrix and Atomic), and didn't really vibe with them. Although, to be fair, I didn't get to spend all that much time with either. I generally use more classic rock type tones, and I found the combination of the G12H and the Blue gave a lot more "chime", and felt much more like a traditional amp than any other cabinet. Judging from the styles you mentioned, this set up might be worth checking out.

Also like the Celestions G12 H (Heritage) 55Hz. I got two 2x12" Mojo-cabinets (the larger ones) with those and I'm really happy with them. I don't like the V30s so much, they seem to me a bit undifferenciated. I also tested Scumback-Speakers and creambacks. AlNiCo-speakers for me are a "no-go".