Recording interface for Kemper?

• I can recommend Focusrite saffire Pro 24 which is what I have :)

However, you might be perfectly happy with less inputs etc. Find out what you need with regards to input, if you want spdif, etc. :)

Also, find out what level you are going to work at - professional, demos for own band, or strictly noodling around :)

I say these things in order for you to get the best recommendations for your situation. If you talked with Chris Lord Alge about this, you's be buying a 48 channel console instead of a two-channel usb interface ;) Everybody speaks from their own particular situation, so you need to explain what yours is - so we can guide you based on that.

• I can recommend Focusrite saffire Pro 24 which is what I have

I want to buy a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and maybe later an Octopre, but i've heard that the Focusrite Interfaces Preamps have their working area for mic preamps in the last 10% only and it's could be hard to adjust the preamp only in the last percentage. Is it true?

back to topic:
    I use an M-Audio Fasttrack C600 at the moment. Connected the Kemper via Spdif. All works fine. The choice of Interface depends on your needs. How many preamps do you need. How many Inputs and Outputs. Etc....

• I'm not currently doing anything professional but it would be nice to have something I didn't need to upgrade at a later date. I visualise just an input for the Kemper and one for vocals or acoustic guitar mike. All I'm recording right now is demo type stuff. I don't know what SPDIF is or whether I might want it. My preferred DAW is Logic X.

• I want to buy a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and maybe later an Octopre, but i've heard that the Focusrite Interfaces Preamps have their working area for mic preamps in the last 10% only and it's could be hard to adjust the preamp only in the last percentage. Is it true?

You will be very happy with this interface. It's a great piece of gear for sure. I own 2 of them and they are great! :) Regarding Input Gain knobs. Yes, they are pretty sensitive. might get annoying if you need to fine-adjust them all the time. I don't cause I have a pretty fixed setup apart from swapping 1 or 2 mics every once in a while. No big deal for me.

it would be nice to have something I didn't need to upgrade at a later date. I visualise just an input for the Kemper and one for vocals or acoustic guitar mike

That's a good point and I always recommend this route to everyone. You simply don't know today what you'll need tomorrow. :)
    One of the best examples on here is the Profiler itself. You can simply record "Master Stereo" if you're fine with that ... but you can also record the DI signal at the same time (for future re-amping just in case you want to change or tweak the rig a little because you feel it needs some in the mix). You can also record the dry stack signal separate from the Wet Delay/Reverb signal so you can balance it in the mix.

Lots of options available which you can't use when you go for a "few inputs, few bucks" unit. :)

• That's a good point and I always recommend this route to everyone. You simply don't know today what you'll need tomorrow. :)
    One of the best examples on here is the Profiler itself. You can simply record "Master Stereo" if you're fine with that ... but you can also record the DI signal at the same time (for future re-amping just in case you want to change or tweak the rig a little because you feel it needs some in the mix). You can also record the dry stack signal separate from the Wet Delay/Reverb signal so you can balance it in the mix.

Lots of options available which you can't use when you go for a "few inputs, few bucks" unit. :)

Great advice!! :)

• The smaller Focusrite interfaces are great. You don't need a huge number of inputs since you are just doing guitar and vocals. If that falls within your budget then I would suggest that.

I use a Universal Audio Apollo Twin duo. I like the fact that my plugins will run through the unit instead of eating up my DAW memory. I've had the unit for more than a year and it has been very, very reliable and sounds fantastic.

• When on Mac FireWire is absolutely recommended.
    Even with the new Apple Thunderbolt (I have it on my MBP myself) it's totally compatible with Firewire using an adapter.

So if I went over to a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt at some point I could still use the Firewire with an adapter but the USB 2.0 on the 6i6 would be incompatible with the MBP?

• So if I went over to a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt at some point I could still use the Firewire with an adapter but the USB 2.0 on the 6i6 would be incompatible with the MBP?

No, I'm not saying that USB 2.0 is incompatible with the MBP, I'm only saying that Firewire generally is considered better for professional audio applications and that although we have Thunderbolt on the new
    Apple computers the adapter for my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Works great and will do so for many years.
    What I really wanna say is: if you have the opportunity to go Firewire go for it.