FW 3.0 - opinions?

• Right. Seems like i read over "in one performance" :D
    Hopefully the cross performance delays will be fixed in the future.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The point of performance mode is to streamline the sounds of a single performance. Gaps between different performances don't concern Kemper much, naturally.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I installed the last firmware (3.0.0.10856 release) and i try to import 5 merged rigs (4 mesa mk3 and 1 engl powerball from Thumas) i downloaded from RE but i press import, it seems that rigs are being imported but at the end i get the message "No import necessary. All Rigs are already available" but they aren't. Any ideas? I use a usb stick that used to work perfect with fw 2.7.4 and below, and i formated it with the last firmware.

Not sure if you're having the same problem I did, but try sorting by "Date Uploaded" rather than "Date" in Rig Manager. Some of these were profiled a while ago, and only recently uploaded to the website (presumably to coincide with 3.0 beta), so the upload dates and profile dates are really different, making it easy to lose the new profiles in the shuffle.

• Not sure if you're having the same problem I did, but try sorting by "Date Uploaded" rather than "Date" in Rig Manager. Some of these were profiled a while ago, and only recently uploaded to the website (presumably to coincide with 3.0 beta), so the upload dates and profile dates are really different, making it easy to lose the new profiles in the shuffle.

I am not talking about Rig Manager but importing rigs from usb stick. 5 merged rigs from Thumas get ignored from Kemper and cannot import the through usb stick.

• Is there anyone to draw some very simple picture, schematic or similar , and explain what da hell is goin' on ?
    You know, that famous drawings each vacuum cleaner manual has, showing Kemper, cable in , cable out, speaker, amp, cab, whatever ...

Why do you make is so complicated ???
    This simple technical thing, not a false history where everyone have his own point of view.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The point of performance mode is to streamline the sounds of a single performance. Gaps between different performances don't concern Kemper much, naturally.

I'm afraid so too. The EurekaProm mod for the FCB1010 features a fav. preset mode with 10 rigs across all performances so I just lined up all my presets slot after slot.
    But thats obsolete anyway as soon as my Remote arrives :)

• Is it possible to have a Direct Amp Profile powered by a stereo solid state amp driving stereo guitar speakers on stage? I've been assuming this would be possible until I actually downloaded 3.0 and found out that the monitor output is mono (hadn't turned the Kemper around in a while I guess or thought it would be TRS etc. or that the Direct Out could be used for the other side). Now I'm thinking this isn't possible.

By the way, I tried running the Main outputs to my stereo solid state power amp and to the guitar speakers (with the cabinet button turned off) and it didn't sound that good. When I use the mono monitor output (Monitor Cab Off checked) with the same DI profile it finally sounds authentic. I thought it would sound the same.

• Is it possible to have a Direct Amp Profile powered by a stereo solid state amp driving stereo guitar speakers on stage? I've been assuming this would be possible until I actually downloaded 3.0 and found out that the monitor output is mono (hadn't turned the Kemper around in a while I guess or thought it would be TRS etc. or that the Direct Out could be used for the other side). Now I'm thinking this isn't possible.

By the way, I tried running the Main outputs to my stereo solid state power amp and to the guitar speakers (with the cabinet button turned off) and it didn't sound that good. When I use the mono monitor output (Monitor Cab Off checked) with the same DI profile it finally sounds authentic. I thought it would sound the same.

That's really weird.
    Main out with the cab off should sound identical to monitor out with cab off, if i'm not mistaken.
    The only point is that monitor out can have its cab bypassed globally.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• By the way, I tried running the Main outputs to my stereo solid state power amp and to the guitar speakers (with the cabinet button turned off) and it didn't sound that good. When I use the mono monitor output (Monitor Cab Off checked) with the same DI profile it finally sounds authentic. I thought it would sound the same.

It sounds identical.

• We need a "Direct Volume Cab Off" software switch in the Master Output Menu to run stereo on stage via DI Profiles is the best I can figure with the Monitor Out set to Master Left and the Direct Out set to Master Right. Anyone have it figured out otherwise that can assist me to run stereo on stage while running the main outputs to the FRFR? I thought this was possible but maybe not?
    I can't figure this out from the manual and it seems an obvious feature, but maybe not because not too many run stereo.

Edited 2 times, last by djazz ().

• It sounds identical.

I'm not sure if that's correct. I remember reading somewhere that disengaging the Cabs in the Stack would use CabDriver to remove the cab from the profile, whereas Cabs Off on Monitor Out soft button on the Output page would engage the Direct profile. That is assuming the we're talking Merged profiles here.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Yes, Sambrox, I am referring to merged profiles. When I heard about 3.0 I was excited about it because I thought I could use it almost like I used a pre-amp before having the KPA. I would buy various tube preamps (add effects before and after), send the L/R signals to a Mesa Boogie 20/20P Tube power amp and then in stereo to these EVM12L's I have in these slant cabinets (the cabinets already have mic adapters on them so if I needed to go to the PA, they could be both mic'd and sent to the PA and panned in mono). On stage, I heard a beautiful stereo sound, in the audience, the mains being too far apart wouldn't be used in stereo, just mono. Basic stuff.

Since using the KPA, any stage monitoring has been done via the monitor sound sent to me via the sound man for instance. Not in stereo.

I guess I need to readdress the need to go stereo (unless I am misunderstanding something here - very possible), but I get spoiled at home listening to myself via studio monitors in stereo. These reverbs, delays and choruses etc. sound so beautiful in stereo, it's night and day. Now that I went back to the speaker and tried it in mono with one EVM 12L, it sounds night and day.

If we can't use "Monitor Cab's Off" feature in stereo (via monitor and direct out outputs I guess) can I at least use the main outputs in stereo with the same DI profile sound just by turning cabinets off. I didn't think it sounded identical and I apologize, I haven't had a chance to try it again since yesterday. Sambrox seems to think it does not. I assume I can get a DI profile (not merged yet) and do this for sure. The reason I ask is that at least for small gigs I could run stereo with two guitar speakers and a solid state amp and get the results I'm looking for.

I know I can always go FRFR, but would like to use guitar cabinets in stereo authentically.

Thanks in advance for any help or coaching/educating me.

Dave

• I think you're right in your thinking, djazz. Hopefully there'll be a solution suitable for you.

Incidentally, I had a Mesa 20/20 poweramp (the silver-faced version), but sold it after I got my Power Rack KPA, along with my rack mounted V-Twin. The 20/20 was VERY impressive and could go ridiculously loud for 20W per side! Great sounding unit.

Cheers,
    Sam

• My interim solution: Merged profile, monitor out into Lexicon MPX-1 (monitor cabs off selected) stereo out to solid state power amp in stereo to EVM12L's. Wow what a sound with the Lex Verb/delay in stereo. There are many ways to do things with the KPA, I'm just so impressed with it I want to only use it

• i probably misunderstood something with the new firmware..if i have a profile done with the new method or a Direct amp profiles and i want to add another cab, what should i do? for example, i have downloaded some di vox profiles and i have added some of the new cabs from tills latest pack when i click on merge they sound horrible..as far as i know with the new firmware is possible, on profiles made with the new method, to have a cab and a head totally separate and change the cab like you do in real life..how i do it? thanks

• ok..so i have to add the cab like in the previous firmware, right? on profiles made with new method how does the separation works? i mean if i take one of your profiles and add a cab from another profiles made with 3.0 or a till cab made with 3.0 the cab the resulting sound will it be affected by the previous cab? thanks