Clean recorded Bass sound with no clipping?

• I can't seem to get a decent clean bass sound without it sounding like it's distorted slightly or clipping.

I've played about with the Fan BM Bass 3 and an Ampeg profile. I've had a go at lowering inputs and outputs on the Kemper which sounded 10 times better but I had to lower them right down. It seems to be the Kemper rather than my recording gear cause the bass sound is like it straight through headphones.

I'd be grateful any advice and tips on how to get a clean bass sound.

I'm playing an active Ibanez SR 505 through it.

All clean guitars and distorted guitars sound great with no problems. ?(

• Well, if the battery in your bass is alright, I'd have a look at lowering clean sense. After that, check your output section and see whether lowering the master outputs (or whichever output you're using) reduces the distortion. This is in case you're driving your speakers too hard.

Try to use the factory WD Metal Bass Clean profile for a clean sound as well, in case it's the profiles that are adding grit to your playing.

• right,

check your battery.
    an active instrument has quite a high output, so make sure your Clean Sens is set accordingly.
    (the INPUT LED shouldn't hit red)
    also make sure that the OUTPUT LED isn't hitting red either.

if the problem is still present, plug your bass directly into your recording interface to see if you get a clean signal there.
    if so please post samples of the issue you're experiencing here.
    thanks