One of those one rehearsal and one gig recording thingies - MB profile

• Title says it all, profile is the Plexi and Tim on 6 2 of Michael Britt's first pack and it's the first time I heard the Kemper back alive.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers Johan

• Thanks guys, the gig was 24 track recorded so I guess it was mixed properly by someone.

Last week I heard another recording with a different band (also 24 track recorded) I did and I had the feeling that my Kemper sounded a little bit outside the mix, like not really blended in a natural way in the mix as the other guitarplayer was (he uses VERY GOOD analog gear I have to add).

I always had that feeling when I previously gigged with my Line6 gear that the POD sounded way more direct than the other guitarplayer's sound but I didn't expect it to hear from the Kemper as well, although it is way less than the POD.

Anyone else experiencing this, or is this pure a mixing and 'placement of the guitar in the mix' issue?

• Great song!

Regarding your question, the reason for the "direct" sound, is that the Kemper captures the mic at close range (or thats where the mic was placed at profile time) the Kemper cannot do "ambience/Room" mics as the Kemper truncates the final result. so it will always sound punchy and direct no matter the profile, there are ways around this in POST, but they are all far from ideal, (you can fake room ambiance with reverb), that will help the guitars sit better in a mix.

You can try and use the "SPACE" effect in the X Slot, and dial it up a small amount, this might be what your after.

There are other options for Live, but I'll not speak of them now as things start to cost money..

And I only came here to say.. good song :)

• There are other options for Live, but I'll not speak of them now as things start to cost money..

Thanks for your reply Andy, I'll give the space effect a try although I'm really a fan of those effects....and eh..how much do you charge for sharing those live options with me! ;)

• Hi,
    I am the bad guy :D . Great song great mix all sounds PRO! but... i dont like guitar sound - first of all - panning to hard on the right, second - does not sit well in the mix. For me its Great mix + guitar - :cursing: .
    It's only my opinion.

Stay Metal!

Edited once, last by sinmix ().

• The other player's guitar was likely being picked up, to some extent, on the vocal mics as well. This WILL create different phasing and mix artifacts that the Kemper does not. If you are unsure about the result, try the Kemper through a miced guitar cab, only - just like the other player - and see if that's more satisfying.

• Hi,
    I am the bad guy :D . Great song great mix all sounds PRO! but... i dont like guitar sound - first of all - panning to hard on the right, second - does not sit well in the mix. For me its Great mix + guitar - :cursing: .
    It's only my opinion.

Stay Metal!

Interesting you should say this, hard panning is what Chris Lord Alge does on all his mixes and I find he is one of the best mix engineers at the mo IMO anyway . Why do you say not to pan hard? :)

• Interesting you should say this, hard panning is what Chris Lord Alge does on all his mixes and I find he is one of the best mix engineers at the mo IMO anyway . Why do you say not to pan hard? :)

And?.... interesting that I'm using a SM57 as Andy Sneap - why my guitars don't sound as good as Sneap? IMO The wrong question, not this person.

Stay Metal!

• And?.... interesting that I'm using a SM57 as Andy Sneap - why my guitars don't sound as good as Sneap? IMO The wrong question, not this person.

Stay Metal!

Hey don't feel as if I was having a go or trying to offend you, just asking why you don't hard pan we can only learn from questions. I was just curious as why you said dont hard pan and to see your reasoning, that's all :)

• Hey don't feel as if I was having a go or trying to offend you, just asking why you don't hard pan we can only learn from questions. I was just curious as why you said dont hard pan and to see your reasoning, that's all :)

Well in this case - simply dont sound good for me - that's all ;) When i have 2 guitars i always pan - hard left and right or 80 left and right - if i have only one guitar for mix i try to use some reverb to "glue" guitar in the mix. For me its very good mix band and song - but guitar just does not stick to the whole mix.

Stay Metal!

• Well in this case - simply dont sound good for me - that's all ;) When i have 2 guitars i always pan - hard left and right or 80 left and right - if i have only one guitar for mix i try to use some reverb to "glue" guitar in the mix. For me its very good mix band and song - but guitar just does not stick to the whole mix.

Stay Metal!

Hey thats cool I thought you were talking about 2 guitars, not one I always pan 2 guitars but never one really :)

• OK, no sweat to not like my guitarsound SinMix, I like honest people :)

Altough I doubt very much that this is just a matter of panning the guitar to a different spot in the mix, the Kemper just lacks that breathing air that a mic'd recorded tube amp does have, no matter where it is panned. This is what I already said myself of couple of comments above, in the other recording it is way more noticable than in this one. I got a PM from Andy and agreed with that and gave me some options to get this improved.

But this is not out of the box Kemper funtionality and not how it was designed to work, because my setup was according the manual the setup for the best sound (just stereo on main outs to FOH and not mic'ing the cab). I hate playing FRFR so that's no option for me and will also not improve the recorded sound obviously.

So resumé; this sounds to me that the Kemper is not really suited for live multitrack recordings (live cd's) without adding extra air. I tried the space effect this weekend but that made my cabinet sound more wacky like it also effects the effects too much, it gets muddier.

The guitar sound in the hall was very good though that night of the recording above. Even the multitrack engineer came to me asking what I was playing on because he liked the sound of the Kemper very much and said it was very usable for recordings.

So something is missing here...maybe I'll pop up to to FW3.0 (still on 2.5) and see how it all goes with direct profiles and just micing the cab old school again...maybe then just also use my stompboxes (which I kept!) in front of it hoping on a more real and less direct sound for recordings.

But this seems to be a little bit out of the original Kemper concept of playing pre-recorded amps (old school profiles), doesn't it? Is this where Kemper is heading to and will they in the long stay away from the profiles as we know them?

the Kemper just lacks that breathing air that a mic'd recorded tube amp does have, no matter where it is panned.

100% True :thumbup:

maybe I'll pop up to to FW3.0 (still on 2.5) and see how it all goes with direct profiles and just micing the cab old school again...

Yeeeessss!

But this seems to be a little bit out of the original Kemper concept of playing pre-recorded amps (old school profiles), doesn't it?

Also true :D but... in my opinion, the best result (excluding real amplifiers) that you receive by using Kemper with a real cab and microphone. And yes in the room all sounds good ;) but all differences you hear when you record source :cursing:

Stay Metal!