Performing Live with Kemper

• Hi Guys,

I want your opinion to perform live with kemper, but I am in doubt with this:

I have a deal to buy in second hand a Matrix GT800 for 375€ + Cabinet 2x12 200€

OR

Buying an Mackie Thump 15 - 400€ new

2-Way, Bi-amped active full range speaker, 1x 15" and 1,4" compression Driver, frequency range 32 Hz thomann - 23.000 Hz, 126 dB SPL max, 500 W Rms/ 1000 W Peak, Dispersion 90° x 60°, internal safety protection, XLR Mic/Line Inputs, 3-Band EQ, internal pole mount, 3 handles, Dimensions: 702 x 427 x 394 mm

OR

Yamaha DXR 12 - 655€ New

For live perform what you think will be the best option ?

Many thanks for your advise in advance
    Cheers

• As far as i know this forum, from these three most people would go FOH live and monitor with the Yamaha.
    Some (few) "direct amp profile" supporters would choose the first option.

• Thomas i can help you on the DXR route. I used to use 2 live with my kemper. My band mostly played rock covers and i found them to be excellent volume wise they held up really well and the drummer in my band must be one of the loudest in the world.. Profiles i picked at home and adjusted on my HS80's translated extremely well. It just takes a little getting used to using a FRFR on stage and not a 4X12 but once you do a few gigs you will find yourself liking what comes out of the DXR. Some users on here like to feel the air movement when using a cab behind you but if you are not one of those and want a small footprint, light option the DXR's are the way to go

• Thank you guys for your comments and advise.

I like to feel the air movement yes, because I am a valve amp fan, I like to feel the warmer sound, and my dilemma is that, I want to have a good sound warmer and feel the air movement that normally is associated to tone Presence.

• Thank you guys for your comments and advise.

I like to feel the air movement yes, because I am a valve amp fan, I like to feel the warmer sound, and my dilemma is that, I want to have a good sound warmer and feel the air movement that normally is associated to tone Presence.

If that the case you will probably want to go the Cab route then. With the new Merged profiles it will sound really good.

• Can be an option yes, and in my country I found for 564,00 €
    I will try... I think I will carry my Kemper into my music store and try all the FOH that they have

Yes, this is the way to do it. Enjoy!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Yup try out as many things as you can. I've had EV ZLXs 12 Ps and now a Matrix GT800 with 2 frfr cabs and both sound great. I've had the Mackie Thumps and hated them.

• Hi Thomasyoung, for what it is worth my experience:
    I play in two rockbands (guitars drums bass, covers and own material), and in a pop-rock band (keys, drums, bass, 1 guitar). With the rockbands i play mostly small clubs. I have tried my 65amp, kemper with DXR12 and kemper with solidstate amp and 2x12 orange cab. Conclusion; the sound of 65 amp in the setting of a rock band can not be rivaled by the kemper with dxr or cab. I play my amp loud so little has to go trough the pa. Bandmates as well as audience give compliments on my sound when playing 65amp, but less with kemper. But... when i'm playing along with poprockband the kemper with the DXR is actually better. It has a much more controlable sound with all volumes, blends a lot better with the total band sound (especially the keys) when also going trough pa, and i have all the effects (which i don't use in the rock bands) at hand. With this band I play more often in (somewhat :) )bigger venues and we are always lead trough a pa.. With the cab i have not tried it on os 3.0, maybe that would be much better now, i don't know. So my experience is: when you deliver your sound trough pa, monitor yourself with a dxr. But the direct sound of a good valve amp with ditto cab can't be 100% deliverd by kemper (with os 2.7), even with high quality profiles like the ones from M Britt. Off course my opinion is highly subjective and maybe all placebo effect of those warm glowing tubes :)
    I think for recording the kemper is absolutely number one.

• I play my amp loud so little has to go trough the pa. Bandmates as well as audience give compliments on my sound when playing 65amp, but less with kemper.

From my experience there are only very few venues left where tihs procedure (playing loud/no PA reinforcement of the instruments) is desired or even accepted.
    Most venues I know, even small ones, demand you to turn down and mic your amp up for additional PA reinforcement.

So in summary: I disagreee with you. ;)

• From my experience there are only very few venues left where tihs procedure (playing loud/no PA reinforcement of the instruments) is desired or even accepted.
    Most venues I know, even small ones, demand you to turn down and mic your amp up for additional PA reinforcement.

Same here we are always getting told to turn down, like my drummer says "if it's to loud your too old" I've had more compliments on my guitar sound since having the kemper, plus the fact people say where is your amp I point to it and say "what that thing, it sounds awesome tho"

• I prefer a 4x12 , loaded with g12k100's. I have a wide range from bottom to top with a speaker that doesnt tend to break up, i know that it colors the sound to a point but not so far that I cant eq a portion of what I want if its missing. Ver 3.0 was essential to me as I dont use the cab part anywhere but at home and i like to start profiling amps alone, I would like to start using the outs with the cab sim live though Im waiting to have those conversations with the sound guys at different venues so we are not playing around too much when time is not permitted. It sounds great mic'd up also. The one thing I thought that I may need that most players dont is a UPS so you dont have to wait so long to reboot if there is an interruption in power.

• Hi Guys many thanks for all your inputs.

Tell me if I am wrong, If my option goes to 2x12 with power amp I will lost all the cabinet profiles, but if I go into a FRFR I can keep all the tone on the profile.

Damm is so difficult to choose!!

I don´t want to spend more than 500€

• This guy sound really amazing on a Power Amp with a 2x12 cab. rsrsrsrsrs

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• From my experience there are only very few venues left where tihs procedure (playing loud/no PA reinforcement of the instruments) is desired or even accepted.

About 50/50 here Ingolf. Only places we get told to turn down is when you are just there as musical wallpaper. No problem, turn down go on autopilot, take the money. Better are the proper live music venues, your more likely to be told to turn up - especially the biker pubs :D

• About 50/50 here Ingolf. Only places we get told to turn down is when you are just there as musical wallpaper. No problem, turn down go on autopilot, take the money. Better are the proper live music venues, your more likely to be told to turn up - especially the biker pubs :D

Bikers. Yeah, they are special .. ;)

• Dxr10 fanboy here. Stereo would be insane. Most of my venues I can barely turn the Yamaha on.. Dialed back to 1/4 on back so Kemper is in ballpark. My opinion is if you needed more than two dxr for stage use you will soon be hearing impaired...