Please recall me where is the 'direct editing mode'

• This confused me a while ago too. There used to be an option to toggle between two different behaviours. Eventually I noticed this in the changelog for Firmware 3.0.0:

- changed: Direct Edit is permanent now. While one edit menu is open (e. g. Stomp A) pressing another Module button (e. g. DELAY) will not switch on/off that Module but instantly open its edit menu.

If I understand it correctly, this seems to say that they picked one of those two behaviours/modes and made it permanent, removing the option in the System menu.

However, @waraba, what confuses me is that you say you "lost" direct edit mode, while the changelog seems to suggest the other mode was removed. I don't remember 100% how those two different modes used to work, but the current situation (I'm on the latest Firmware version) is as follows:

• while not in edit menu: short press turns stomp/effect on or off, long press opens its edit menu;
    • while in edit menu: pressing the button for the stomp/effect currently being edited turns it on/off; pressing another stomp/effect button takes you to the edit menu for that stomp/effect.
  • @Robrecht - thanks for pointing this out. So they did remove the ability for direct edit on the first stomp/effect you want to edit. However, direct edit is invoked when you go to the second stomp/effect. I can now stop looking. I guess I'd better look more carefully at the release notes in the future.

• So they did remove the ability for direct edit on the first stomp/effect you want to edit. However, direct edit is invoked when you go to the second stomp/effect.

Yes, exactly. Seems like they found a compromise or hybrid between those two modes. It now takes one long press to start edit mode, but after that you can directly switch between editing stomps/effects.

• Thx mates, ;( it's a pity that this feature has disappeared. I have a live gig Friday and no pedalboard , I used to switch my FX by hand (sustaining a note by left hand and switching the FX with the right hand, Jimi Hendrix style !!!)...

I have to test furthermore and see if I'm able to switch FXs live.

• @ waraba: Switching is not editing (switching is not affected by the new editing behaviour)! Or do you mean you're editing while playing?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• if you are in the main view (rig name displayed) you can switch stomps on/off with a simple short press of the button. the same way as it was in 2.6 for example.

if you however enter the edit mode (long press), then a short press on another stomp button will not enable/disable the stomp, but bring it into focus.

it's quite logical and works well in on/off switching as well as editing scenarios IMO :)

• @ Don: Yes, but: If you're for example editing Stomp A and you think "I'd like to hear the editing result with disabled/enabled Stomp B" then you'll have to exit edit mode first. This could be a little unhandy.

Edited once, last by Kempermaniac ().

• Play and switch Stomps by hand? Do i understand it right? OK, you can switch a stomp on or of with one push on the soft knob. Another tip>: You can use two simple footswitches (Switch Pedal 1/2 input on the back) and you can put a switch function on it (i use a cheap Marshall footswitch only to switch on or of my delay). I also can do it with my FCB, but i like to have it separat, because with the FCB you can switch only 5 thinks, from the 4 Stomps and the 4 effects.
    Next tip, look for a cheap FCB, there are many to sell because of the new remote. Costs: I think 70 to 90 € with an uno4kemper chip. This is no money when i think of the costs of the kpa, isn't it?

• You can switch focused Stomps and Effects on and off with the On and Off buttons while in edit mode. :)

Right, forgot about this. Thanks HELL-G! But what about stomps/effects which are not in focus (see my post above)?

• Yes having to press exit is a pain to me , especially live

switching stomps on/off by hand when playing live without a controller/remote I can understand,

editing stomps when playing live not really, sorry... :/
    except the things that can be easily controlled with the dedicated MOD/DELAY/REVERB knobs

please don't take this the wrong way :)

• thx to all for answers

OK no probz Don , bye bye 'Hendrix edit mode' - I used to set up the Trem rate or chorus depth by hand sometimes.

I'm on the way to get a FCB , but I liked the fact having to go to a gig by foot , with just my guitar & KPA on my back.

• thx to all for answers

OK no probz Don , bye bye 'Hendrix edit mode' - I used to set up the Trem rate or chorus depth by hand sometimes.

I'm on the way to get a FCB , but I liked the fact having to go to a gig by foot , with just my guitar & KPA on my back.

I think editing and playing at the same time is absolutely badass. :D

You probably know this but as Don said, if your Tremolo or Chorus is in the mod slot you can adjust its rate or intensity without even going into edit mode, simply by using the dedicated knobs on the Kemper (unless you have a rack model, where only the delay and reverb slots have such dedicated knobs).

• Took me a while to figure out what the change was and get used to it, after killing a stomp by accident on stage a few times I figured out what it was doing. It's actually easier now for me.