Buffer size Logic Pro X

• Hi!

I've been using SPDIF with my Kemper into my Focusrite 18i8. My buffer size is set to 32ms.

My system is Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz (turbo boost 3.7GHz) 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.

When recording vocals I've been getting some clicks and pops, so I'm thinking that;s my buffer size, so I think I'm going to increase it. I haven't had any clicks or pops with the Kemper on that buffer size.

Does the clicks and pops sound like a buffer issue?
    Can having a too low buffer size mess about with the sound quality of the recording or does it mainly relate to latency?
    Is it okay to use 32ms with the Kemper or should I go for something higher?
    I didn't have any problems when recording guitars via microphone at 32ms, why do I with vocals?
    I managed to comp a take with no clicking, is it okay to use this?

Thanks! :D

• The buffer size is usually measured in Samples, not ms (milliseconds). If you mean 32 ms of latency than your buffer is already very very high!
    I think you probably mean that your buffer is set at 32 samples... that is indeed very little, but I think your system can handle it without problems.
    You can try 64 or 128 samples and verify if things are better but I think your problem can be related to digital sync... Kemper SPDIF has to be the Master Clock.
    BTW... are you using the KPA to record vocals?!? ?(

• Sorry. Yes it's samples and no lol, I'm not using it to record vocals haha.

Why am I getting pops and clicks when recording vocals through my 18i8 then? Should I increase the sample size?

• So 32 samples for Kemper and higher for vocals?

I've used 32 samples to record guitar via microphone before and not had this issue, although I've always done it with no plugins loaded and the guitar as the first instrument in so maybe that has something to do with it. I have got a fair amount of plugins loaded in this project.

Can an incorrect buffer size affect the processed tone in the DAW?

• Maybe you have plugins in the vocal channel strip? If so then it's normal that you have to increase the buffer size.
    A low buffer size doesn't affect directly the tone, but can produce clicks and pops... so the answer is yes, an incorrect buffer size can ruin your recordings! :)

• So 32 samples for Kemper and higher for vocals?

I've used 32 samples to record guitar via microphone before and not had this issue, although I've always done it with no plugins loaded and the guitar as the first instrument in so maybe that has something to do with it. I have got a fair amount of plugins loaded in this project.

Can an incorrect buffer size affect the processed tone in the DAW?

Hi. I have the same interface as you, and I have no clicks and pops.

This is the settings I use in Logic:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27012202/Logic1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27012202/Logic2.jpg]

And you should use Mix Control for your monitoring:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27012202/MixControl.tiff]

Just remember to set sync source to SPDIF
    Hope that helps:)

• Thanks Ballantine

GR: I don't have pops and clicks when using the Kemper I just wanted to make sure I had it set correctly.

How come your buffer sample size is set so high? Mine is at32 samples with no issue .ii'm asking because I thought that thought that having it too high could cause latency?

• Thanks Ballantine

GR: I don't have pops and clicks when using the Kemper I just wanted to make sure I had it set correctly.

How come your buffer sample size is set so high? Mine is at32 samples with no issue .ii'm asking because I thought that thought that having it too high could cause latency?

If set high it causes latency if you monitor through logic. I only have the buffer size at 64 or 32 if I record with amp sim. Other than that I have it on 1024. It will not cause latency at 1024 if you monitor through mix control.

• I completely agree with GRStudios... as long as you don't have to monitor through Logic or play some software instrument there is no point to set a low buffer. With a higher buffer you'll have less CPU load and you are definitely more "safe" about your recording :)

• I think I am monitoring through mix control. Am I?

http://1.1.1.1/bmi/i62.tinypic.com/2i6dq46.png

If yes, should I increase the buffer size to something higher?

So basically a higher buffer size reduces the load on the cpu but can cause latency when monitoring u less you monitor using third party programs, like Mix Control whereas as a lower buffer size reduces latency but can put undue stress on the cpu right?

• Buffer size is a tricky thing. Rule of thumb is to set it low for recording and high for mixing. 32 samples is the lowest setting in Logic and should give you about a 6ms delay...that is super low and adds stress to your cpu. Unless you freeze the software instruments or bounce them you probably run out of power at some point. How many tracks are in this session?

Try to set it to 64 or 128, that sound be still ok, commit tracks by bouncing them or simply use the freeze function on each track to temporarily print the tracks as audio (reversable) and that will take the load off on the cpu. Try to have a direct monitoring set up, so that the software monitoring is not used so much or you will have timing issues.

Once you are done with the actual recording set the buffer size up to 1024 or higher, that will give you more power for your plug ins etc. Good Luck!

• Okay. Although if I'm monitoring through Mix Control it shouldn't matter right? And then I can keep it high all the time and nt have to worry?

How do I freeze tracks?

With all the drums I've got something like 40 tracks plus all the takes from the guitar tracks and vocals (20+ each track)

so so should I just bounce the take or comp I'm happy with and delete all the takes?

• There's a freeze track function for each track... it's a little ice crystal symbol and if not already added to the track you can add these to the track by editing the displayed track column items....or you can do it form the menu above

yes with your amount of tracks, you will get click and pops at that level no matter your SSD set up...Think of the buffer size as a strainer with different size holes...right now, at 64 you have super small holes in your strainer, not letting all the masses of info through ....so setting it up at 1024 or higher when mixing it will give you way bigger holes, and the data can flow much better....

mix control monitoring is cool. if it's bypassing the audio engine. I am not familiar with the Focusrite as I am using UA...anyways.

Commit your mixed tracks by 'printing them" thusly removing plug ins etc and freeing up cpu power....for the other stuff you are not sure, simply freeze the tracks and when you are done with your overdubs etc, you can unfreeze them and then continue to work on them with a high buffer size.

btw, never delete the takes or files....create a 2nd session or more as back ups or incremental work stages etc...so you can always go back or have a good session in case your Logic session gets corrupted etc...

• You can keep it high all the time if you monitor with mix control. Are you recording to the internal HDD? If so that could be you problem. I always record to an external HDD.

• Okay. So really the optimal way forward is to just monitor through mix control and keep the buffer sample size high at all times, freeze tracks when I'm not using them, bounce tracks with lots of takes that I'm satisfied with.

Right? :)

i just need GR to tell me if I am in fact monitoring through mix control. I think I am, but just to confirm.

please check the image here.

http://1.1.1.1/bmi/i62.tinypic.com/2i6dq46.png

• Okay. So really the optimal way forward is to just monitor through mix control and keep the buffer sample size high at all times, freeze tracks when I'm not using them, bounce tracks with lots of takes that I'm satisfied with.

Right? :)

i just need GR to tell me if I am in fact monitoring through mix control. I think I am, but just to confirm.

If software monitoring in Logic preferences is left unchecked you are monitoring through Saffire Mix Control. See my pic. :)

• Yes I have that unchecked and am still hearing everything through my 18i8 and can control the volume with the monitoring knob.

sound right?

if yes, shall I just increase the buffer sample size to 1024 and not worry about it again?