Total newbie - setup

• hi guys,

i have just traded my Mesa Mark V head for a Kemper unpowered head plus FCB pedal and just wanted to ask the bst way to set it up for my particular rig to get the best sounds. I have a rack with a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp, Eventide Eclipse, Sound Sculpture Switchblade and some pedals through a Voodoo Labs GCX. These go out to 2 Marshall 1960 cabs.

I will connect the Kemper to a Switchblade in/out and use its Winblade software to control it as always and I am happy with that. My main question is which profiles would I need to use to sound best - merged, Direct, normal with cabs off? Any advice will be gratly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jim

• If you are using a cab then it would be best to turn the cab driver off on the KPA and use a merged profile/direct profile. But i have known some users on here to leave the cab driver on when using a cab. There are some great mesa profiles around check the rig exchange first member Djemass has lots of good feedback about his free profiles.

Anyway welcome to the gang :)

• Welcome! The best way to hook it all up that I see is to go from guitar to Eclipse then to power amp/cabs, inserting the Kemper into the Eclipse's effects loop (if possible at all). This way you can have all the effects on both machines available and in the right chain order. Not sure if the Eclipse is transparent though, never tried one and you definitely don't want something squashing the Kemper's tones. The Voodoo lab is flexible enough to run them both almost any way you want. You may never need the Switchblade or pedals again. Nice setup!

• Welcome! The best way to hook it all up that I see is to go from guitar to Eclipse then to power amp/cabs, inserting the Kemper into the Eclipse's effects loop (if possible at all). This way you can have all the effects on both machines available and in the right chain order. Not sure if the Eclipse is transparent though, never tried one and you definitely don't want something squashing the Kemper's tones. The Voodoo lab is flexible enough to run them both almost any way you want. You may never need the Switchblade or pedals again. Nice setup!

Actually the Switchblade is the hub of my rack and will continue to be so. I am going to put the following in loops on it:

Kemper
    Eclipse
    H9
    GCX with pedals in loops
    Korg Tuner

... And the Ground Control Pro will control it all via midi. The switchblade is awesome and enables me to route my audio in any way. It also enables me to keep my dry path intact.

cheers,
    Jim

Edited 3 times, last by Sorbz62 ().

• Never understood the value of dry paths myself but that's from a huge lack of understanding and effort on my part lol. I don't record, I just play. One question I do have about the setup: could you say for instance use an Eclipse Harmonizer effect in front of the Kemper and also an Eclipse Reverb post Kemper?