Michael Britt Profile Packs 1 + 2 + " Modern " Pack .... super quick review / thoughts / comments.

• Hi all

I have an Atomic CLR Active Wedge on-loan for a few weeks [ borrowed from a friend who is currently in the studio ] for some shows.

Last night and today I bought Profile Pack 1 + 2 + Modern Pack.

I am not in any way, directly or indirectly associated with or have anything to do with MB - just a regular customer :)

My comments / thoughts:-

- however MB has recorded them, they have no fizz / harshness to them - just none - the profiles have [to my ears at least] perfect mic placement - I am certain that the single most important factor for great [studio] profiles is mic placement and MB has this down to a tee
    - the levels are very consistent across sounds
    - KPA EQ is pretty much "flat" across all of them - the hard work has been done for you from the amp at the front end - and there is plenty of boost/cut if needed
    - KPA Gain, Definition and Clarity levels are [ again ] excellently modest and [ to my ears ] not "boosted for impact" - [ again ] plenty of boost/cut if needed
    - EFX Slots are off by default and have very complimentary EFX in the slots
    - Crucially, the " amp bottom end " is very tight and not exaggerated - the amps have been beautifully EQ'd at the front end - no flub / no low freq wobble .... this is not an easy thing to get right !!!
    - I have never before used any profiles - bought / free / or my own - that require such little tweaking - this I did not expect.
    - you could load these profiles and gig with them [ live and loud ] immediately
    - the demos on his site are identical to the profiles

I honestly cant think of a negative.

Some may say price .... but let me put it this way ....... for $150 I got a mountain of excellently profiles amps - compare that to a good / mid-range effect pedal - say a Timmy or OCD or Klon clone etc..... and you realise instantly the genius of these profiles and how dirt-cheap they actually are.

Will I use or do I "like" -all- of the profiles ..... definitely not ....... but that's as it should be ..... " my preferred tones " to " my ears " will no doubt be different to yours ...... and vice-versa.

Across the 3 packs I bought [ 1 + 2 + Modern ] I very quickly refined it to a core of around 35 profiles that are perfect for me.

I will tweak them all - and they don't need very much at all - and I will then pick and choose as I need.

If all I had gotten from these 3 packs was Trainwreck 2, the Bletchly 45 and 50, the Dirty Shirley and the 70 Marshall SL2 and SL3 .... these alone would have been a steal for the money - for a classic / modern rock player, you could quite literally do a tour with just these 6 sounds ..... seriously :)

I cannot recommend these profiles highly enough.

Kudos Michael Britt.

Ben

• Couldn't agree more! I have the lot, and I can't imagine why I would ever need to buy another profile.
    any one pack would be more than enough great options for most people, but I couldn't resist

• Wow. Thanks Benifin! That is a very kind review and I'm just glad my profiles are working for you. Everyone has a different idea of what they want their guitar to sound like in their head and I'm just glad my choices of mics/placement/eq are in line with yours.

And thanks telelogic and MrVivz too. I sincerely appreciate the kind words.

• Oh yeah, they are excellent, I have been using the '65 Princeton and Marshall Alt Rock profiles live for just about everything since the week I got these profiles. I love them. I still want to get pack 3, but I am happy with pack 1 and 2 for now. They are extremely well done. All the praise from above applies from me too! Thanks Michael!

• Wow - almost sounds too good to be true; I would happily spend the money knowing the sounds are right for me.

I've just signed up to the M Britt profiles mailing list to get the free profiles. I'm hoping they are representative of sounds that I like so that they give me confidence to buy more....

Cheers,
    Andy

• Wow - almost sounds too good to be true; I would happily spend the money knowing the sounds are right for me.

I've just signed up to the M Britt profiles mailing list to get the free profiles. I'm hoping they are representative of sounds that I like so that they give me confidence to buy more....

Cheers,
    Andy

Andy - they are too good to be true :) I actually just listened to the profiles on his site, then decided to buy them, they sound the same (except for the fact that I don't play near as well as he does, and I have a very different guitar). They were all so well balanced and nice sounding I started using them live right away (I tweaked them to my guitar a little). Not to say that the other profiles I have from other guys out here aren't good, they are great, these just tend to work for me where I play. They do have a certain 'sound' due to the fact that he uses the same mics on them and most of the profiles are run through his 3rd power cabinet and it's speakers, so I think that imparts a certain "Michael Brittness" to them :) I'd say if you like the clips and think the sounds would work well for what you do, you will almost certainly not regret getting them.

• How do the packs compare to the free profiles that were issued by Kemper after fw 3 was released?
    I ask because I was excited to try those as I've seen such good things about Britt's profiles but as I already have lots of commercial profiles I promised myself not to buy more. So when I heard about the free ones I was excited to try them but was disappointed. For me they sound and feel dull and muddy.

• How do the packs compare to the free profiles that were issued by Kemper after fw 3 was released?
    I ask because I was excited to try those as I've seen such good things about Britt's profiles but as I already have lots of commercial profiles I promised myself not to buy more. So when I heard about the free ones I was excited to try them but was disappointed. For me they sound and feel dull and muddy.

I don't feel there's a lot of comparison to the F/W 3.0 pack I did as those were merged rigs. I did go back and do a little more work on those merged rigs and posted them to the Rig Exchange and they are available via a link in the news section of my site's home page. The new version of the merged ones on the RE are better in my opinion, but I still prefer the studio rigs, personally. I am offering a free sample pack for a limited time of a few profiles from each of my packs if you want to sign up for my mailing list on my site. That should let you know if my profiles will work for you before you spend any money. There are a lot of great profiles from lots of great folks, including Andy at The Amp Factory. I'd suggest trying as many of the free ones as you can til you find some that make you want to play more.

• Brilliant, thx for replying! I noticed after posting that you had a link to some free studio profiles and will definitely try them out later. I have quite a few TAF profiles and find them to be fantastic but am interested in yours too. I find it interesting how many people seem to still think the studio rigs are better than the merged, I can't help but agree (for my use anyway).

• Michael, just been on your site and it looks like you only have packs 1, 2, and D, available.
    just in case you didn't know.

If you mouse over the 'profiles' menu option, there is a drop down box that shows all the available packs. Click on pack 3 (or whichever one you want) to bring up the purchase page for that pack. I just bought pack 3 yesterday from his site so it should be working. Hopefully you can get it to work.

• Im so glad your happy with it all. - whoever profiles you use, the kemper has a place for everyone, and as long as it keeps people playing, then that cant be a bad thing at all!.

I've also got quite a few of your profiles too Andy, they are awesome! Of course each different person/studio will have a different flavor when their profiles are done, that is one of the great things about the Kemper Profiler!

• After trying the free profiles I have to say they are very good, much better for my gear than the merged ones that Kemper released with fw 3.

I am now very tempted to buy a pack but unsure which. My main sounds are tight funky rhythm playing, smooth jazz tones, blues and modern smooth lead. If anyone can recommend one pack that covers these sounds that'd be great:)

oh and my main guitar is a Suhr gg spec.

• After trying the free profiles I have to say they are very good, much better for my gear than the merged ones that Kemper released with fw 3.

I am now very tempted to buy a pack but unsure which. My main sounds are tight funky rhythm playing, smooth jazz tones, blues and modern smooth lead. If anyone can recommend one pack that covers these sounds that'd be great:)

oh and my main guitar is a Suhr gg spec.

The sample rigs have their pack noted in the comments you see using Rig Manager. I would go with the pack that has the samples you like best ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• man those sample clips do sound good! especially like the marshall , might have to buy it just for that im looking for some great marshall tones like goerge lynch, van halen 80s and havent found them yet