Line 6 Helix - next gen guitarist's wet dream..?

• I cant see MIDI output on the helix remote back, just a RJ45 socket. http://www.thomann.de/de/line6_helix_control.htm
    I suspect they will not use MIDI protocol on there. It would need some kind of converter to use it as a MIDI remote. With their previous remotes, like shortboard etc. they did not provide a converter. (other than the rack unit , which is 1,5k in this case ;)

Line 6 has implemented midi over USB in the MkII pedals; since the Helix pedal has USB, I'd expect it to have it as well. There are a few class compliant midi over USB to 5 pin midi converters out there, so using it with straight midi might not be a problem.

• Sorry Magnetix, you're absolutely right. I didn't notice that you were asking specifically about the Helix Remote. (I keep forgetting the rack and Remote even exist.) I was talking in terms of KPA and the full Helix multi-effects pedal.

;)
    I was thinking if the remote could be an alternative to the kemper remote

• I agree and I would still stay with the kemper remote for the reasons you mentioned. I was just thinking of the fellows who are looking for liquid displays and colors ... see the posts earlier in this thread

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

At 4:10 did he just say PROFILING!!!!!!!!!!, maybe someone else can check but I'm sure he did :D

• Yamaha should have acquired Kemper :)

No thanks, Apple bought the German company Emagic (Logic) and Yamaha bought Steinberg (Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab), both companies are originally from the town I live (Hamburg, Germany). I'm tired of using excellent products being developed by small companies and then acquired by big ones from foreign countries.

Now Logic is an Apple product, what a joke...by the way, Logic would be much better if Emagic would still be a German, independent company (like CK). Meanwhile it looks like the big brother of Garage Band.... :sleeping:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• No thanks, Apple bought the German company Emagic (Logic) and Yamaha bought Steinberg (Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab), both companies are originally from the town I live (Hamburg, Germany). I'm tired of using excellent products being developed by small companies and then acquired by big ones from foreign countries.

Now Logic is an Apple product, what a joke...by the way, Logic would be much better if Emagic would still be a German, independent company (like CK). Meanwhile it looks like the big brother of Garage Band.... :sleeping:

I was speaking for Yamaha... not the end users :D

• Ah ok.
    Did the Mk2 pedals get their power over USB or did you have to use a separate power supply?

That's a very good question. I don't recall the MkII pedals having any sort of power supply input. The FBV interface provides power to the pedal. I suppose the pedal would have to be powered over USB if used for midi over USB.

We'll find out much more when the manuals are released. I would not be surprised to eventually see some sort of implementation of the Helix pedal with a Kemper (that is if it will do midi over USB and is as programmable as other MkII pedals are).

• But boy does the univibe model in that video sound juicy. I wish the KPA stomp models had been created with a comparable care ... I recently got my hands on an old Line6 Floorpod ... shitty litlle thing, but the fuzz stomp model in there I had to envy ... because the one inside the KPA doesn't do it for me. Just imagine the KPA plus years of know how in how to recreate stomp boxes ...

• I'm sure the procedure is well patented. I used to be a big lover of line 6 stuff I used a vetta for 11 years but it wasn't until I got the profiler that I realised how better my live and recording sound could get. I must say the Helix doesn't temt me 1 bit and it's very interesting to read this thread on how others are perceiving its release. I can't wait to hear people's review who own both a KPA and a helix

• But boy does the univibe model in that video sound juicy. I wish the KPA stomp models had been created with a comparable care ... I recently got my hands on an old Line6 Floorpod ... shitty litlle thing, but the fuzz stomp model in there I had to envy ... because the one inside the KPA doesn't do it for me. Just imagine the KPA plus years of know how in how to recreate stomp boxes ...

Ive always thought line6 effects were pretty good infact I always use line 7 echo farm in my pro tools production, it's a great delay :)

• I'm sure the procedure is well patented. I used to be a big lover of line 6 stuff I used a vetta for 11 years but it wasn't until I got the profiler that I realised how better my live and recording sound could get. I must say the Helix doesn't temt me 1 bit and it's very interesting to read this thread on how others are perceiving its release. I can't wait to hear people's review who own both a KPA and a helix

I've gone from Pod 1 through Vetta incl. Pod XT, X3 and HD 500 myself, als well as having owned a DL4, an M13 and quite a few Variaxes. I think the tempting element for a lot of KPA users, if any, would be in the FX department. Line 6 FX have been quite good from the beginning and the Helix delivers in this regard. We as Kemper users have been promised additions to its FX pallette for a long time now, but still no sign what's actually in the pipeline or when.

• I've gone from Pod 1 through Vetta incl. Pod XT, X3 and HD 500 myself, als well as having owned a DL4, an M13 and quite a few Variaxes. I think the tempting element for a lot of KPA users, if any, would be in the FX department. Line 6 FX have been quite good from the beginning and the Helix delivers in this regard. We as Kemper users have been promised additions to its FX pallette for a long time now, but still no sign what's actually in the pipeline or when.

I'm sure CK will come through good :)