Testing the Kemper Green Scream vs Maxon

• Seeing as this is quite a common complaint, wouldn't it be worth addressing despite all that? I know these tests weren't reamped and i know the Maxon has different specs - but i thought you guys were fans of tuning with your ears?

The Green Scream is often claimed to cut too much low end, and to over-compress. A simple bass cut-off parameter and a small range-shift for the gain will sort all that.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I know these tests weren't reamped and i know the Maxon has different specs - but i thought you guys were fans of tuning with your ears?

^^^ Not trying to be rude, but I don't see how the above statements relate.

The tracks were not reamped, and OP even states that the missing bass was due to his playing.
    On top of that, he did use another pedal, the OD808x, wereas the Green Scream was tuned after the OD808.

Those are two pretty big issues for a comparison test IMO.

• If it's agreed the 2nd clip is better than the third then maybe it's time for them to create a max scream sim in the kemper. I have tried using the green scream several times and always go back to using my pedal.

• While I do agree that there was a little inconsistency in my playing it did not change the over all effect. The od808x can be set to sound exactly like the od808, I had both for months before selling the od808. The X just has the option of more everything. I do not use the drive on the maxons but have to in the Kemper to get it close. They do get close, and for live it is fine. That was the whole point of me posting this.

If I had the od808 I would do another but reamp. Maybe @Hannes_ITS can test when his arrives?

For recording, at this point I, would not use the internal green scream if a Maxon is available.

• ^^^ Not trying to be rude, but I don't see how the above statements relate.

The tracks were not reamped, and OP even states that the missing bass was due to his playing.
    On top of that, he did use another pedal, the OD808x, wereas the Green Scream was tuned after the OD808.

Those are two pretty big issues for a comparison test IMO.

It's not rude at all -
    but these Green Scream threads come up on an almost weekly basis for years now. Maybe it's time to do something about it, even if it isn't, strictly speaking, 'solving' anything.

I was trying to say that the problem isn't the comparison to any actual TS, it's something in the ears. It's recurring. It won't go away, even if it isn't technically true and it is solvable.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• While I do agree that there was a little inconsistency in my playing it did not change the over all effect. The od808x can be set to sound exactly like the od808, I had both for months before selling the od808. The X just has the option of more everything. I do not use the drive on the maxons but have to in the Kemper to get it close. They do get close, and for live it is fine. That was the whole point of me posting this.

If I had the od808 I would do another but reamp. Maybe @Hannes_ITS can test when his arrives?

For recording, at this point I, would not use the internal green scream if a Maxon is available.

I´ll definitly try to do that. Might even be able to do a comparison of the 808, 808x and green scream when re-amping! I´ll post it as soon as it´s done!

• I believe the tone in the Kemper was set to 3.7 and the pedal about 3 o'clock. Note the pedal was an od808x.

It is a bit surprizing that no one on this thread notices that the settings are not correct. This is exactly what the clip reflects.
    The tone control must me lowered to a value of about -1.4 (minus), This should be checked by ear.
    It would be great to have a second clip.

There is other discussions, where it is stated that the gain of the Green Scream is different to the original. This is not a topic here, surprizingly.

It is about two years ago, when a user posted an audio clip showing that even at equal settings our Green Scream sounded different than the original.
    Whe have immediately redesigned the Green Screem.
    Since then there has no single A/B clip been posted that show a difference, using equal settings.

• Thats great to hear. Since I (hopefully) will be able to make an A/B comparison between the OD808 and the Green Scream - which settings on both would give me a solid comparison?

• Any setting.

1. The Drive is supposed to be identical.
    2. The Tone of the GS reflects the full range of the original in the left half range. That means only negative values must be used.
    3. The Level is all different on the Profiler, but that does not matter.

You cannot just set the controls to identical values, since the controls on the original are potentiometers with a dead zone on the left and right.
    Use your ears all controls!

• I too would like a TS that has a low cut adjustment. Keep in mind my 808x probably cuts a bit too much in the lows too, lol! So I grabbed a MXR Custom Badass Overdrive, it has a 100HZ freq adjustment (and a low mid bump) that really lets you dial in the low end with precision- which changes depending on the guitar pickup. Something like that would be a huge addition to KPA.

I can make an A/B reamped clip with the 808x (or TOD9) if needed. It is a cool pedal and probably just a few tweaks away from the current GS

• So, after the recent Tone Control fix, now the range of tone knob is from 0 to 10. Before the fix the range was -5 +5 but it worked only from -5 to 0 and the value for the 12 o'clock in the real pedal was -2.5. Now what is the value in the kemper tone knob that represent 12 o'clock in the pedal? Thanks