Sound is either thin or muddy...

• I've been frustrated with my Kemper lately. I used to love the sound, but at some point in the last year, the sound has gone downhill. I'm not sure if this is due to a firmware update or what, but I'm curious if there's any steps people have taken to resolve this kind of issue?

Admittedly I'm not that knowledgable about the Kemper, it was loaned to me by a friend, so maybe there's something simple that's gotten screwed up?

• Output EQ is all set to 0. What could be locked? The Kemper is plugged into my Symphony I/O, which has Adam A7X monitors attached. The only other thing I can think of that might be wrong is the gain settings.. I have noticed that on more distorted sounds, the 'Master' LED on the Kemper goes way into the red, but if I turn down the gain, but that removes the distorted tone. Not sure if that's normal or not.

• Check Cab section - high shift , low shift and character (they should be non locked and at value 0).
    Or try system reset :

System Reset:

1) switch the KPA off
    2) press and hold the 'system' button
    3) start KPA (boot up can take a little bit longer).
    (All your KPA settings are then lost - presets and profiles will not be changed)

• [/

Hi Damian, why start to tuner? When i do a reset i start to browser. Is there a difference? I get my reset hint from the mothership a few weeks ago and it works.
    cheers
    Frank

• Is this with all distorted profiles or only with specific ones?

I'd suggest to see if this happens with the high-gain factory profiles as well. If that is not the case, it's the profile you are using. Concerning the output clipping: Check amplifier volume (3rd page of the amp settings), Cab volume, Rig volume (the volume next to the EQ dials) and all of your effects (e.g. EQs, boosters, etc. Everything that has its own volume parameter).

In case that does not help either, try recording a DI track and a wet track using a high gain factory profile, and post it here. This way we can double check the sound on our units to exclude any hardware problems.

• please make a short recording that shows the issue.
    make a backup (this might be interesting for the support)

have you updated to the latest firmware?

the rigs don't change their sound after firmware updates.
    one minor exception was the corrected bass reponse.
    you can go back to the original bass responce by ticking the box in SYSTEM "LFC off"
    but I doubt this is the problem here.

• Hi Don, what means LFC off or on?

• Hi Don, what means LFC off or on?

Hi Frank,

I saw your question, and thought I would reply. I am sure Don can give a more detailed explanation. However, this may be of help. Below is an excerpt from the Kemper 3.0 Addendum Manual. The Addendum Manual provides a list of all feature updates and bug fixes, going back through the various Firmware revisions.

The LFC (Low Frequency Cut) was implemented in Firmware 2.6. Here is the description, from the Addendum manual:

• Clean Sense does not affect the tone.
    maybe it sounded thinner to you because it was lower in level, but that's pretty much it ;)

the Clean Sense is NOT a secret 'mojo' control

Yes I know it just means a lack of volume, but it was enough to make it sound thin until I realized this was the reason.

• I know that this is an old post but I have experienced same issue after updating firmware to 7.5.

The issue is within OUTPUT section.

On the "Main Output" find section called "Low Cut" and "High Cut".

Roll "High Cut" to 2.0Hz and keep adjusting until you get the clarity you need.

For some reason "High Cut" parameter is not cutting high tones, but it's cutting low muddy tones.

The "Low Cut" seems to be working as expected and it is cutting lows off.

I hope it helps.