New user- best multifunctional live set up.

• Hello there,

I just recieved my Kemper non-powered lunchbox on Friday after a few years of loathing after the thing. I am already blown away to say the least.

I got the Kemper to streamline my two rigs- a POD HD500x based digital rig for a cover band gig and other direct gigs - and a traditional amp and pedals set up. The POD served me well for direct gigs but I never felt comfortable using it in other settings. I work as a freelance guitarist and expected to cover everything from jazz to pop to metal to country and the Kemper seems like it will serve my needs great!

While I plan to record with my Kemper as well my primary use will be live. I have already scoured these forums some to see people's set ups but am also curious as to what people are currently doing.

My set up will be the Kemper controlled by my POD (for now... Looking to upgrade to a better and smaller midi controller soon) saved with 5-10 useable patches . This set up will either feed directly into the house system or through a Tech 21 Power engine 60 that should arrive in the mail next week.

I think I am coming to understand the best way to integrate all of this but would like to know what other's favorite ways to utilize the Kemper live are. Also any suggestions for a good SMALL midi controller that would allow me to switch banks, choose profiles, and turn effects on and off?

Thanks and I look forward to many more KPA discussions in the future!

-Lane

• Welcome.
    I wouldn't have chosen the PE60 in the first place.
    I'd buy a good FRFR cab like the Yamaha DXR10 which will give you much more consistent results on any stage and help you choose and translate your rigs much better.

In all honesty part of what attracted me to Kemper over the Axe-FX was the fact that it looks like an amplifier. I know it is purely aesthetic but I like the idea of a speaker cabinet that looks like a guitar cab. I was GASing over the Mission cabinets but they are way over my budget at this point... My understanding is that the speaker in those cabinets is more like an FRFR. I have access to some QSC powered speakers and will have to compare them to the PE60.

• First off - Congratulations and welcome.
    Secondly - You're now in a new league of sound and I would only echo Ingolf's previous comments.

Some here (like me ^^ ) treasure the benefits of a quality FRFR cabinet.
    Others still prefer their "thump" from a traditional cab.

You'll of coarse need to decide which will suit your best interests.

Beyond the DXR10's, Atomic CLR's etc., Mission Engineering now offers a Gemini 1 powered amp that kind of caught my eye.

Still, if you're at all inclined towards an FRFR solution, it's hard to beat Yamaha's DXR10 as a good bang-for-the-buck alternative.

Happy Kemper

• Meanwhile, I've been waiting to read all about Ingoff's recent experiences with his new powered Kemper and traditional guitar speakers, especially in a gig setting.

Haha, thanks man. :)
    Hey your memory is great, you seem to remember all my Kemper aquisitions. ;)
    But sorry, I'm bot going back to guitar cabs on stage, no way.
    Guitar cabs are mainly for my own listening pleasure at home, in a different setting than using my CLR's.

• I've had some playing time with the PE60 now and am unimpressed.

The patches that I made through headphones through the Kemper sound dull and lifeless through the amp with lots of highs rolled off. I also noticed that my delays are much less audible.

I think I will see if I can play through an FRFR to hear the difference. One of my gigs is with in-ears direct into a PA of all QSC stuff- I can't wait to play the Kemper in this setting.

• I've had some playing time with the PE60 now and am unimpressed.

The patches that I made through headphones through the Kemper sound dull and lifeless through the amp with lots of highs rolled off. I also noticed that my delays are much less audible.

I think I will see if I can play through an FRFR to hear the difference. One of my gigs is with in-ears direct into a PA of all QSC stuff- I can't wait to play the Kemper in this setting.

Hi LaneG,
    Question...did you try disabling the Cabinet simulation(s) on the KPA, when you are playing through the PE60?

• Hi LaneG,
    Question...did you try disabling the Cabinet simulation(s) on the KPA, when you are playing through the PE60?

I disabled the Cab simulation and tweaked the EQ on the PE60 by rolling off some mids and lows and boosting the highs. It is starting to sound more like the sound from headphones. I think I may have to give the Beyma 12GA50 and maybe even the Yamaha DXR10 a shot eventually.

I am still noticing a lack of the delay in my chain on the PE60. It is a stereo delay that sounds very full through headphones. Is is possible that I am only getting a mono signal from the L output of the kemper?

• I disabled the Cab simulation and tweaked the EQ on the PE60 by rolling off some mids and lows and boosting the highs. It is starting to sound more like the sound from headphones. I think I may have to give the Beyma 12GA50 and maybe even the Yamaha DXR10 a shot eventually.

I am still noticing a lack of the delay in my chain on the PE60. It is a stereo delay that sounds very full through headphones. Is is possible that I am only getting a mono signal from the L output of the kemper?

Hi LaneG,

I am a bit confused. Aren't you connecting to your PE60 via the single Monitor Output jack on the back of your KPA? The Main Outputs are typically used for sending a stereo signal to a mixer/sound board and/or onto the Front-Of-House PA system in a live situatioin. So, check your connection. Connect your PE60 to the Kemper's Monitor Output jack, if it isn't already.

Then, go to the front of your KPA, and hit the OUPUT menu button. Once the Output menu is displayed, look on Page 1 of 6. Make sure that the Monitor Output is set to MASTER MONO.

Cheers,
    John

• Yeah, if you're coming from the Line 6 world (as was I), plugging in to "left out" only gives you "left out," not a "mono summed" out. You can adjust the main outputs to be mono if you'd like, but that also kills your XLR outputs from being stereo (not the end of the world).

Typically, with a Kemper, you use the Monitor out for your cab or power amp (or both), but there's nothing saying you can't use the main outs.

For my setup, I went with a rack-mount, unpowered KPA. The XLR outs go to the house, but the 1/4" main outs go:
    - Behringer MINIFBQ equalizer, which I use to shape the EQ curve for my cab (without touching the XLR outs)
    - Matrix GT1000FX power amp
    - Matrix NL212 cab

This gives me the option of running stereo into my cab (the NL212 is a stereo, extended range, 2x12 cab - not FRFR), or, if I'm running mono into the house, I'm also running mono into my cab.

Since the NL212 isn't FRFR (though it does have an extended frequency range and a "flatter than most" curve to it), I can get a "pretty close" sound by using the Behringer EQ. It has the "live feel" of a standard guitar cab, but a sound that's about 90-95% of the actual main outs. I keep the Kemper's cab section on.

I would agree with other statements in regards to the Tech 21. It was a fantastic product in the heyday of the POD, but it just doesn't cut it anymore. You can also look at Xitone (they have a 2x12 FRFR cab), Matrix (Q12), Atomic (CLR series), and Mission for FRFR options that look like real cabs. All are great options, but FRFR isn't cheap. You're basically buying studio monitors in more rugged enclosures.

You also mentioned floorboards. If you're looking for a good, inexpensive solution, look into the Behringer FCB1010. You can use it as-is, or get an aftermarket chip (costs about $10-20, is reversible, easy to install) and get some added control. It's also popular for modding - you can lop off the expression pedals (they kinda suck) and use your own, phantom power it from your rack, etc.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• I've had my KPA 3 yrs and I have not used a guitar cab on stage in 2 years. CLR neo for me, But DXR-10 is an excellent value

Same. If your performing shows using the house a PA for vocals - your amp dilemma is pretty much taken care of.

When we rehearse, all we have is my single DXR10 (in front of the singer like a standard monitor) which we all play through (my KPA, bass players Sans amp, and Singers vocal into our modest littel mixer). It works amazingly well.

I cant help much on the small midi pedal front though. When I 1st got my Kemper (2yrs ago), I used a simple 2 switch momentary pedal to step through patches, then upgraded to a simple MidiMouse, then moved onto a beastly Rocktron MidiRaider (a pita to program). At this point, Kemper enabled "performace mode" and I moved onto the FCB1010 (which was awesome btw. Big, yes - but great with the Kemper with the Uno4Kemper chip mod). I'm now using the Kemper Remote, and thats a keeper.

I guess my point is - if your primary use for the KPA is live work, dont stress the powered speaker choice too much. As long as it has the volume you need, you're good. I'm sure many won't agree with that statement, but that seems to be where I've ended up. I actually tweak all my rigs on a decent pair of headphones and call it good. lol.

• I disabled the Cab simulation and tweaked the EQ on the PE60 by rolling off some mids and lows and boosting the highs. It is starting to sound more like the sound from headphones. I think I may have to give the Beyma 12GA50 and maybe even the Yamaha DXR10 a shot eventually.

LaneG,

Did you re-connect to your PE60 using the KPA's Monitor Output jack, and then check the OUTPUT menu settings (making sure Monitor Output is set for Master Mono), like I recommended in my prior post? Haven't heard back from you on this matter, so I trust all is now well.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• Quote from LaneG: “Quote from Tritium: “Hi LaneG,
    Question...did you try disabling the Cabinet simulation(s) on the KPA, when you are playing through the PE60?”

I disabled the Cab simulation and tweaked the EQ on the PE60 by rolling off some mids…

Yes thank you. This solved the problem I was having. I gigged with the Kemper all weekend - Thursday/Friday through the PE60 and Saturday/Sunday direct into the house. It is really the most inspiring piece of gear I've ever owned. I look forward to continue to dig deeper into this thing. Thanks for your help!

• Check out the Mission Passive cabs, you can get a power amp such as an SLA and the mission cab for 6-700 maybe? You just forked over 2k for the Kemper I would do the rest of the setup right as well even if it means waiting some more. Going FRFR will give you all the flexibility and realization of tones possible, think long and hard before you go the "other" way :)