Commercial/Free Profile <=> Legendary Artist mapping???

• [Updated thread to be profile "inclusive" vs. "exclusive". ]

Hey folks. I would LOVE to see what profiles/rigs you are using for what famous artists!! As somewhat of a newbie with the Kemper - this will be helpful to give me some places to start (which can be daunting with 300+ commercial rigs purchased plus 300+ factory rigs). Was thinking this might be helpful for other newbies as well.

Anyway - if anyone wants to start and share Artists they play, and the profile/rigs they use to nail that sound, that would be awesome. I'm interested in any classic rock to modern rock artists such as:
    - Billy Gibbons
    - Eric Clapton (Cream era)
    - Angus Young
    - Jimmy Page
    - Jimi Hendrix (i'm struggling to get a good Purple Haze tone)
    - etc.

I know song tones vary greatly - so feel free to mention the specific song you play if appropriate.

Thought this would be fun and helpful if people are game....

• Great thread. I'm really new to the KPA but here are a few I've been using. Not all M.Britt's rigs. Hope that's ok.

SRV: (from the wiki) Till's JVM 2 Mics 5, dial back gain to around noon, tweak the treble for your guitar.

Slash: Top-Jimi's Marshall AFD100 is pretty dead on.

Early Pearl Jam: MBritt's Bletchly Bomber 2 (with TS added for lead)

Working on Gilmour's Ram's Head Muff era tones next...

• Gilmour : TAF Gilmour Hiwatt ....put the Rams head Muff stomp in front of it and youre sorted

• Great thread idea!

From the M. Britt Modern Pack, I am getting a lot of mileage out of the Sure Sonic 50 (profiled Suhr Hedgehog) for 90% of the classic rock we play. I'm also using the CTone SRV profiles for (what else) SRV tunes.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Any new ideas? Even non-M.Britt profiles...

Maybe you will have more response if you change the topic to remove the profile sellers name. as there are plenty others out there than can get artist tones. so your narrowing the search massively.. - Just saying, and trying to be helpful is all.

Maybe you will have more response if you change the topic to remove the profile sellers name. as there are plenty others out there than can get artist tones. so your narrowing the search massively.. - Just saying, and trying to be helpful is all.

Great idea and44. I have purchased many of your profiles as well as some TopJimi. I guess the thought of the thread occurred after my latest purchase, so I unnecessarily thought narrowly. Will revise original post and title if I can.

Would love to hear your thoughts on which favorites you use for famous artists. :)

• Okay - thread updated. Thanks again and44!

Note: I'm still looking to nail 2 sounds as closely as possible and struggling a bit. If any advice, or specific profiles you can point to, that would be great:

1) ZZ Top - Just Got Paid.
    2) Jim Hendrix - Purple Haze. (Can't get the right amount of fuzz without my chords sounding like a mess).

• My apologies if this question is insulting, but not everyone knows how much of a sound (especially a vintage tone) depends on the type of guitar used:

Are you using a Les Paul when auditioning ZZ Top sounds, and a Strat for Purple Haze? Do they both have vintage output pickups?

Ahh - great point. Maybe that's my problem. I'm trying to get close to the sound using a 2011 Les Paul Standard. Stock pickups.

I see your other post about volume knob adjustments. Will try that as well. Keep the tips coming. May seem "basic" to you guys, but it's very helpful for me.

• For early Led Zep stuff (I & II), the supro from Andy is really great on a tele.
    • For other Led ZEP era I would go for a les Paul and JCM800 from Andy Ultimate Marshall toolkit ( for lead and heavy parts) and the famous AC30 from Pete for crunches/mid gain/clean stuff.
    • Early ZZtop : Pearly gates equipped Les Paul and The same JCM800 but tweaked , with a lot a guitar vol control. the Mark IIc+ from Djemass is also a very good candidate.
    • Other Era ZZ top : just add some gain & lead booster ;)
  • Ahh - great point. Maybe that's my problem. I'm trying to get close to the sound using a 2011 Les Paul Standard. Stock pickups.

Stock pickups are likely fine - and, a Les Paul Standard is ideal for ZZ Top. If you were using active pickups, or extremely high output passives (like Distortion-class pickups)they would make it harder to dial in to sound like that.

If you turn the volume of the stock pickups down, I think you'll get closer. I doubt that he had the pickup wide open when he wasn't playing lead.

And, if you want Hendrix tones, buy a used Squire strat that plays good for $50. Or, trade a pedal for one ;) I'm not kidding - they are really nice guitars for what they are worth on the used market.

• Stock pickups are likely fine - and, a Les Paul Standard is ideal for ZZ Top. If you were using active pickups, or extremely high output passives (like Distortion-class pickups)they would make it harder to dial in to sound like that.

If you turn the volume of the stock pickups down, I think you'll get closer. I doubt that he had the pickup wide open when he wasn't playing lead.

Thank you. I'm guilty of leaving the volume wide open - just recently been trying to mess with the volume controls more. Good reminder.

And, if you want Hendrix tones, buy a used Squire strat that plays good for $50. Or, trade a pedal for one ;) I'm not kidding - they are really nice guitars for what they are worth on the used market.

I do have a strat. I just don't like playing it as much as my LP - but I guess I'll give it a try and see what differences I can hear. :)

• Mbritt diezel vh4 ch1 1d with strat tage wie dieser toten hosen
    Mbritt diezel vh4 ch3 n3 pick +3,8 bloodhound gang chasey lain, along comes mary

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

Edited once, last by vjclaus ().