ilok 2 got cracked

• While needing a USB dongle for authentication may be a bit of a nuisance, as mentioned by other users, being able to use your software on multiple machines is a balancing factor.

I have a dongle for my Cubase 8 copy. For users like me, who just have one machine and don't travel around recording, this might seem like an overkill. But being very anti-piracy (I don't download music, videos or games), I think if the company feels it is necessary to protect their intellectual property, I can live with it. The iLok has worked well till the time it was cracked.

That said, I am a Steam user, and I think that kind of model for preventing piracy is the way of the future, i.e. locked to machine, authentication of purchases, etc.

To achieve something like Steam, however, would require some kind of ecosystem where developers share a common platform. Imagine logging into your computer and then waiting for multiple programmes to load on start-up and authenticate your software.

Piracy is a real menace in today's world, and I for one am glad the Kemper is a hardware-based device. Imagine what it would be like to all the users out here if we paid almost 2000 euros for a device and then found people were using the same platform for free.

I think this is one of the reasons why there will be no editor for the Kemper: the code could be used to deciper the OS that is being used on the machine, which would then be pirated.

This might be an unpopular point of view, but I was dismayed when the US failed to approve legislation that would have cracked down on piracy in the face of a backlash from the pirating community, which far outnumbers genuine users.

As far as the internet being taken away from the pirates, an Australian court recently ruled that people who illegally downloaded a movie should only be liable to pay for the cost of the DVD. The production company's lawyers wanted to slap them with notices for A$5000.

As such, the views expressed by members on this thread are in a minority. We are the fools who pay for everything we use, unlike the millions of people who save money on stuff like software so they can spend it on things that can't be downloaded, like cars and expensive gifts for their girlfriends and wives.

But you know what? I don't care. History will prove us right when everyone is listening to Justin Bieber and musicians like David Bowie and Queen are just a distant memory.

• Well Yeezy has never passed up an opportunity to act like a child. Can't say I'm surprised.

Now if Neil Young was listening to YouTube, well, THAT would shock me. As for stealing, Dan Ariely says 70% of the people "steal a little" if they think everyone else is doing it. Human nature. The only thing he found that stopped such a person was to ask them to take an ethical pledge and they didn't cheat/steal following it for a time (hours or the day). Or identify a person they don't identify with doing the act, which makes them NOT want to do it (Like showing West doing it, and if you don't like him, you stay honest) I did see a very cool TED talk on a guy who decided to live the old testament for a year and he said that what his epiphany was that his initial belief that doing "good" things started with your brain, it's the opposite. You do "good" things physically as part of a ritual you observe, and eventually you internalize it. So the only way to train yourself NOT to do such things is observe ethical rituals to internalize them as habits. Say, a 40 day 'lent' of not stealing on the internet, haha.

I wonder though if a company can have an effect that is 100% the opposite of their point of existence. Can it be that the iLok costing $45 for a $2 USB stick causes some to steal software? Interesting topic for discussion.