ilok 2 got cracked

• It's true, released december 19th.
    Avid Pro Tools + Avid plugins + vst SSL duende, Slate, Eventide, Lexicon, Softube and more...
    I'm sure they already have ilok 3 (and 4) ready for release because it can never be secure for a long time and groups cracking software will never go away. Perhaps they will look into how other companies use other security strategies costing less money and still making a profit even when some % revenue is lost to piracy.
    If Kemper ever go software this would also happen. Big reason to stay hardware.

• Hope it's not true, my investment in some of these plugins will become worthless

I have just ordered an iLok2 in combination with with my (yet having to arrive) Slate Raven MTI2.
    I wonder what Slate will be doing next here.

As for the profiler: Hardware all the way.
    But how do license and machine based protection systems do it?

• I will be VERY PO'd at having to buy two iLok3's to replace the two iLok2's I have (one working, other for a backup in case this is broken, lost or stolen) at $40 a pop plus annual cost of security, plus having to PROVE I have it every 90 days, replacements for existing users should be FREE. Not my fault their security got cracked. That should be THEIR cost of doing business that they are clearly failing at.

That said, my only issue with the iLok is that Waves requires a separate way of registering, I understand Cubase users have their own Dongle (which then starts taking up USB ports) and so if others start doing that, unless they ALL offer "2 device registrations" like Toontracks does, then moving to a new system will be as major a hassle as installing a whole new OS or porting to a new computer.

I personally think companies should offer iLok's as a part of their cost of software or cut you a discount if you already have one because security is THEIR problem not yours, and you have to jump through hoops to keep to their security scheme.

Do cars require you to pay for locks separately? Houses? Gun Cabinets? Come-on!

Why can't they just have software that checks your hardware scheme and occasionally talks to their database to see you are on the right computer (your computer can be your dongle) and force you to register each device with them and say allow 2 free but a marginally higher cost for more computers? Something like that, like Microsoft does. (Microsoft is so friggin anal that a change in hard drive kills you license, bastards. Using my backup when my drive failed, I can't use Office anymore)

• It does seem odd that every time someone cracks the code, we have to pay again!
    I wonder what the companies that use the ilok to secure there software do when it has failed? I'm sure they don't pay the ilok company for messing up, why should we?

• Any software can be cracked and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't see the investment as lost, to be honest. I wouldn't want to be the professional using cracked software when they're at my door to check for pirated stuff. And the customer support, instant updates and that everything works hassle-free is worth enough for me. The only business model that works a bit against piracy is subscription-based stuff, in my opinion, and even those can be found in older versions.

• Yes I agree, having everything work nicely and support on the end of the phone if ya need it is worth the money IMO also. I know a few people who were using early cracked stuff and when pro tools 11 came out and being AAX only, they were stuffed and had to buy the software anyway from scratch. I'm glad that the KPA is probably not going to become a plug in so our investment is safe there :)

• I won't use any software that requires a dongle key period. There are enough good ways to address this issue in a consumer friendly manner that this is simply stupid and outdated at this point. They do it partly because it is a buisness model of getting money from people for it more than the security at this point. Online validated and periodically checked software with keys works well enough for the entire rest of the software industry. You have everything from top end music production software like Ableton Live to 100 Million dollar game franchises sold through Steam, MS Office and such and many other valuable software products successfully protected this way and clearly it works at least as well as the stupid 1990's dongle method.

So for me you use a dongle you are automatically excluded from any possible purchase by myself period.There is simply no excuse for using such an antiquated and totally non--customer friendly method to authorize and protect software at this point in time. So as far as I'm concerned any company still doing this is immediately making it clear that they are not a current 2015 company and have old outdated thinking in at least one part of their current software system.

• Every time I swear off something, I end up going back on it. Swore I'd NEVER get a dongle. F-THEM I said. Well, here I am with iLok1 (useless) and two iLok2's (useless?!?) with 20 friggin licenses. Who knew. And I did it for Waves who now uses another system. Good grief!

Then I said screw UA and their huge expensive hardware dongle. But here I am only 2 years after that tirade getting an Apollo DUO.

Only good thing is I sold my initial plugins which are apparently almost all "Legacy" (they create newer better of the same, charge you full price, then bundle your old one with the new one making yours equity-wise obsolete) I HATE UA for 10 reasons like I hate dongles but at some point you just accept the quirky tools and get on with your stuff.

To those who can keep shaking their fist at fate, I salute you! (I am too weak to keep shaking)

• You know, some on TGP claim that Kemper could just as easily release their stuff as software for a much lower price (yeah yeah, I argue about dedicated OS and superior I/O, etc, but I'm making a point here..)

So in their eyes, the Kemper is just a big green dongle for an Amp Sim Plugin, lol.

That said, my body is a dongle for my spirit that is pretty pissed off at my aging self's inability to stay fit and ache-less.

What I'm trying to say is, we must accept the Dongle as a part of the Natural Order.

• One could argue that about any digital prduct, I suppose.

But, the KPA is more than a big green Dongle - it is also a very eloquently designed human interface. That is more than can be said about many digital musical instrument products.

• You know, some on TGP claim that Kemper could just as easily release their stuff as software for a much lower price (yeah yeah, I argue about dedicated OS and superior I/O, etc, but I'm making a point here..)

So in their eyes, the Kemper is just a big green dongle for an Amp Sim Plugin, lol.

As a producer of software, it really is surprising how entitled a lot of people feel. They honestly feel Kemper/FAS is doing them wrong by charging them for old school, outdated hardware. They think it should cost $[insert the amount of cash they have here], and by stealing it, they are somehow righting a wrong in the world. Crazy.

• The excuses I used to hear were "they don't offer a demo" like Apple still doesn't for Logic Pro X (I had to buy it cold, relying on reviews)
    Also "they are too expensive" but Pro level DAWs like Reaper are $60 and in a day and age where people drop $200 on a smart phone, I'm not thinking that's so expensive you have to steal software.

So yes, I agree, it's a lot of "entitlement" and as a former developer I feel the same way most days. But then again I read about musicians and how the Beatles stole gear and I think "hmmm" haha.

Dan Ariely says 70% of the people will "steal a little" if they think everyone else is doing it. And the Internet does make you think everyone else is stealing MP3's and cracked software so it's an enabling situation.

The way to prevent this is: 1) show that it's just a few bad apples who do it, and identify those people with something most people don't want to be identified with (like AZ Cardinal's fans)
    and 2) have people say to themselves a Moral statement of some kind (code of ethics, commandments, etc).

Something about a moral pronouncement actually prevents people from doing "soft stealing" strangely enough.
    Dan Ariely is an interesting scientist (Duke professor of Behavioral Economics) who does studies on these things to see what exists and what assuages bad habits in humans. (like eating too many snacks, he says you can't fight temptation as easily as you can control your environment by removing snacks from the house)

Which brings a 3rd way of preventing the theft of software: Take away the Internet from them! ;)

• So for me you use a dongle you are automatically excluded from any possible purchase by myself period.There is simply no excuse for using such an antiquated and totally non--customer friendly method to authorize and protect software at this point in time. So as far as I'm concerned any company still doing this is immediately making it clear that they are not a current 2015 company and have old outdated thinking in at least one part of their current software system.

let me just add my private 2%. i've recently migrated a music workstation with hundreds of plug-ins to a new computer hardware by restoring a system drive image. that took about 60 minutes. the task that took two additional evenings was going though an endless list of plug-ins to re-enter the respective serial numbers (and find it first!). all the ilok license based products just continued to work.
    it might be considered old fashion to use a physical "wallet" for you digital purchases but it is convenient. in the event of a hardware related problem it is the fastest way to get back in the game.
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• let me just add my private 2%. i've recently migrated a music workstation with hundreds of plug-ins to a new computer hardware by restoring a system drive image. that took about 60 minutes. the task that took two additional evenings was going though an endless list of plug-ins to re-enter the respective serial numbers (and find it first!). all the ilok license based products just continued to work.
    it might be considered old fashion to use a physical "wallet" for you digital purchases but it is convenient. in the event of a hardware related problem it is the fastest way to get back in the game.
    gs

While I can appreciate this point, I will also say that (for me) this is not worth it as I migrate workstations only every few years usually and I use my software everyday once installed. I am always struggling for 'good' (non-hub) USB ports on my DAW and losing one full-time to licensing is nuts to me and not a good trade off for the occasional DAW rebuild - plus the $'s for the dongles too. Also if you have a home studio and work studio along with a laptop it can really be a pain with the dongle. Plus I keep all my licenses in a DB file so re-entering them is a snap with cut/past.

• My 2c.

I only got an iLok 2 around 18 months ago when I became interested in the Slate products. I am glad I did it as I think they're very good plugins.

Basically, an iLok 2 cost me about £30. It's really disappointing that it's been cracked but look at it this way - it took a looooong time to do so in the software world. My part of 'paying' for that protection was £30. Look at all the products out there that do not use iLok. Guess what? There will be cracked versions out there on the day of release or even before which must be heartbreaking (and bank breaking!!) if that is your income.

That £30 iLok 2 buyin has meant that everyone who has had a Slate plugin for the last 3 years+ has had to actually buy it. Perhaps that's why they can afford to constantly have very attractive sales - they've made their money in the way that was intended - without piracy getting in the way.

If going to iLok 3 costs me another £30 which means that the developers get to make money unimpeded by piracy for another 2-3 years (and they pass on the love to me in the form of discounts) then the discounts pay for the new iLok really. Well, at least that's the way I'll choose to look at it unless someone can point out a flaw (or several flaws :) ) in my thinking. Perhaps I'm over-simplifying?

The only thing I do *not* like about iLok is that you can't demo software unless you've signed up to the thing. That's why I avoided them for so long - I did not want to commit good money to something to secure a 14 day demo of something that I may or may not want to buy. It's fortunate that I liked the software and it's worked fine since. Otherwise my viewpoint may have differed :)