Studio One 3 - Demo of Pro

• The LAST thing I need to do is buy another DAW.

I had used Reaper for a while, and it's gotten incredibly complex, but still retains ease of editing. But I never settled on what "skin" I liked best. Always something I didn't like.
    So I tried Logic Pro X. You can't demo it so you have to buy it, but I looked at videos for a while and took the plunge for Drummer (and it IS an excellent program, akin to EZ2 but a little better IF you know how to use it)
    No regrets there. BUT, I have been going back and forth between them to see which one I would stick with. Because of Drummer I kind of chose LPX. But I've been working on a project for 2 weeks and really just learning the thing more than working on the project, which is normal.

However, saw something on Studio One 3 and decided to Demo it out of boredom (finished my work early at the job, lol) and I mixed a previous project in an hour. The workflow was intuitive. I LIKE it. I HAD tried an earlier version, probably version 1, and was like "eh" and stuck with Reaper.

But I have to say, I'm having actual fun with this thing. At first it got stuck on a plugin, then disabled it for the next load. Then it was looking for earlier Waves I had on my laptop that I don't use anymore but aren't authorized (they are on the iLok 1) so it was confused at that. But then it gave up on those locations and started.

I really like how easy it is to work with. The workflow I mean.

I do NOT want to drop the money to buy this thing, hell no. But if I stick with this through the month, I'll have to. I WILL still use Logic Pro X for Drummer. Fantastic program.

Only issue I've seen with Studio One 3 is:
    1) No rendering to MP3 (<---edit, in demo mode. When you buy it, the option shows up)

So if you use this program and know a way around those, pipe in. I'll google them if not.

Bottom line, liking it a lot. 2nd only to Reaper in "fun" aspect and until I know more, Reaper can edit a bit easier.

BTW, my interest in this program stemmed from reading about DAWs that did good Mastering. I'm not really there yet, but curious about the distinction between other DAWs and ones that can "Master". I just do demo's for fun.

I wonder if you get it cheaper if you already own Melodyne?

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• I still hold a full license of Studio one 2 - Professional. I couldn't bother to upgrade it to V3.
    While it is a great DAW, I only use it for its mastering suite nowadays which is indeed a unique feature.
    For any other aspect of composing and tracking I much prefer Logic Pro X. Sometimes I use Ableton Live 9 suite with it (Rewired). That's all.

• I did get Ableton to be able to hopefully convert my Drums on Demand Audio loops to MIDI but it was too time consuming.
    I blew a LOT of money on that and for the life of me, it's like a David Bowie to figure out, haha.

How was I ever a programmer and Ableton looks like greek to me?!? I didn't pour into learning it though. I kinda expect my hobby to be intuitive or bust! ;)

V3 of Studio does have a lot of changes apparently. It surprised me that I liked it since I didn't like the earlier version at all. Maybe I've learned more and know what I like better. Maybe it was version 2. It was 2013-14 I think.

• Must be missing from the Demo then. I did see it as a thing you can buy as an add-on but I don't know if that's for a lower grade than Pro. Ok, it's possible.

Now onto figuring out how to undo Automation! ;)

• If old-school, logical, linear-transport type logic and the analogue tape-deck / mixing paradigm are your thing, I can't recommend Digital Performer highly enough.

Personally, even 'though I'm sort of up with music tech, I reckon I'd have Buckley's chance of figuring Reason, Live, Logic and so on out. From what you've said, db9091, I might not have a problem with SO 3 either, but I made a decision in 1999 to go with MOTU for software and hardware and that's where I'm stayin'.

Interestingly, if you're a long-term thinker, you might appreciate that you can still load projects from 1984 into DP. Now that's backward compatibility, brother! Same goes for their audio and MIDI interfaces - all hardware enjoys ongoing driver support.

You probably already knew this stuff, but if you didn't, you might like to consider it.

• I really like Studio One but I think the titles of each of the DAW versions needs work!

Studio One 'pro' does everything. But they also have 'artist' and something else whose name I cannot recall. Everything apart from 'pro' is a cut down version in some way.

For me, it'd be better to call them Lite, Lite+ and Full..... It's not 100% clear that an 'artist' product doesn't have 'everything' because, well, I'm an amateur artist and will never be a pro yet I need some of the pro features, even though I'm just an enthusiast.

Still, if they keep up the tradition of 'the hardest thing is the name' then that's not so bad - once you get beyond that little bit of silly you get a superb piece of software. IMO anyway :)

• X-Touch connecting to Studio One 3

1) Turn on X-Touch holding down Channel 1's "Select" button
    2) Turn Channel 1's pan knob until "MC" (HUI doesn't work for Studio One right now if ever)
    3) Turn Channel 2's pan knob until "USB"
    4) Press "select" to store these settings. They say to "reboot" but I don't think that's necessary. but doesn't hurt to do it anyway.
    5) Start Studio One 3, let plugin connections scroll, then you are on the main screen before choosing a project
    6) At the bottom middle is a link to connecting an "External Controller", click it
    7) A popup comes, choose "Mackie" unfolding it's folder and choose "Controller" but not either of the other 2 options, in the left side panel
    8).In the right side panel, choose "INT" for both "Receive From" and "Send To"
    9) Now open your project and you should see the faders adjust and the displays show your track names.

Not all buttons and knob choices (i.e. EQ) work. I haven't tried "Learn"ing any new buttons. All I need for now are the tracks, mute, solo, pan, LCD track name, transport control, scrubber and I'm good. But some automation looks like it works, i.e. setting the track's read/touch/write/latch options as well as a few more buttons IDK what they do, haha.

I played with a feature I've never seen before. You can SPLIT your plugins on a track to parallel pathways. VERY cool.

I'm currently figuring out if they have a special way of COMPing my VOX (redoing it cause the old comp is reverb baked and it's a bit too much and the files are .aif, can you say LAY-ZEE for not going to Logic and seeing if I can just send my comp out as unprocessed audio? I probably have it hidden back 900 UNDO's anyways.
    I WISH that DAW's would have selective UNDO per track!

But I'm REALLY wondering about their new "Scratch Pad" which you can play around in. A sandbox for ideas or alternate mixes aside of your main project. LPX uses a similar ability to save mixes, but they act like this is amazing. Let's see if its amazing...

Bottom line, the more I work with this, the more I want it. Only Reaper grabbed me like this before. I can do a "crossgrade" for I think $100 off they say. This must be what Heroin is like. That slippery slide until you're selling your body...
    Next I'm gonna play with the "Scratch Pad"

• Studio's plugin manager and handling in general is amazing.

Wave's plugins? Automatically added to their folders of EQ, Reverb, etc.
    Took me an hour and a half to do that in Logic Pro X. First off just looking up what each plugin was for my bundle.

The drop n drag features of it are really cool. Light years ahead of LPX.

Scratch Pad makes sense for Electro loop music. You make arrangements (INTRO, VERSE, CHORUS) and can swap them at will in a sandbox non-destructively.
    Still, you can use it in Rock to get ideas about you arrangement I suppose. Will have to see if it's truly useful or not by experimenting when a song is finished.
    I wonder how mix and matching section will be affected by crossover decays (cymbols, piano chords, synths, etc)

• Interesting that you like that feature, db.

DP has Chunks: A chunk can be a virtual VI rack (acts like outboard MIDI gear), a phrase, a verse / chorus or whatever, or an entire song.

These chunks can be combined on an intuitive track-style timeline any way you like; you can even overlap or completely overlay them. Incredibly (to me), all the tails (crossover decays you mentioned) are rendered perfectly.

So folks such as myself use it in a linear fashion, whereas others may take things a step further and employ chunks for experimentation or whatever.

BTW, you can save "mixes" (entire processing state of the mixing board) from a drop-down on the board.

MIDI editing and event-and-timing-related search features are both unsurpassed, which is what you'd expect from a product that's been refined since the early '80s.. and I could go on, but I'm trying to contribute alternatives based on what you're saying.

Thank you for sharing, BTW; I for one enjoy hearing about what the "competition" is up to.

I was checking out this poll of 2016 DAW's and DP's not there. So it's not the "best".
    http://recording-studio-software-review.toptenreviews.com

Just kidding, gotta love online polls.

Agreed. Most does not mean best, just as majority doesn't mean correct.

The only relevant poll, AFAIC, would be one where the users of each DAW were asked about their satisfaction-with-the-product levels.

DP's not there for the same reason it's often not listed on compatibility charts or even entered into competitions - money. Its user base is generally a very serious, professional one; Tooty Fruits it is not, so in terms of pure numbers said base has never been significant.

That said, the fact that the product's over 30 years old, fully-backwards-compatible and has introduced many an innovation (such as sample-accurate sync, simultaneous MIDI and audio handling and many other features we take for granted these days), should speak volumes and instil no end of confidence.

Oh, and there's only ever been one (paid) product - Performer v1 -> 6 and then, because audio was added way back when the only other option was Digidesign DSP (4 tracks), the name was changed to Digital Performer which is now at v9. In effect that's v15 to we lay folks.

One more thing, MOTU's audio and MIDI hardware has obviously reflected and supported DP's innovations along the way, with less-than-1ms-accurate MTS (MIDI Time Stamping) springing to mind as well as the ground-breaking 2408 audio interface with its format conversion between ADAT, TDIF, analogue and S/PDIF. Then there was the PCI-324/424 line which allowed at least 96 channels of I/O with latency-free monitoring at unheard-of prices. Even today its AVB system is kicking major goals with the most configurable and best-bang-for-the-buck conversion quality on the market.

Obviously I could wax lyrical 'til the cows come home, db, so I'll draw the line here this time.

• Someone like their DP? ;)

As for MIDI, from my checking out Demo's on YouTube, Cakewalk is the bomb. But I'm only using MIDI for Drum tracks.

The cool thing I've seen about MIDI editing in Studio is each note is labelled by their note so you don't have to look across the whole row and guess which piano key it is. I'd say it's editing is about the same as Logic Pro X. There are plus and minus in both directions. Nothing to advocate one over the other.

• I said I wouldn't say any more about DP; I didn't say I wouldn't post a link. LOL

Just a little to take onboard, mate: Check out MOTU at NAMM - some groundbreaking stuff as always, db:

NAMM 2016 MOTU Updates DP9 and AVB - YouTube

EDIT:

If you don't like the dark environment used in the video, bear in mind that DP comes with a crapload of skins (themes); you can design your own, download freebies from MOTUNation or buy them from 3rd-party authors.

Technically I broke my self-imposed rule, I know. Sorry. There's sooo much I'd like to have told you, but I know you know that, db.

• Awesome!

Digital Performer (DP)
    It makes sense, the grandfathering of features, the seamless integration with MOTU gear, but then the excitement of new additions that don't break the old functions, which is almost entirely rare.

Why don't you post a "review" thread where you can enumerate what features you like, vs others that you've tried, and how they improve your work flow, make it fun for you, and in general, get the results you're looking for?

These new thread titles become part of Google search so if someone google's "Digital Performer Review" then yours will pop up on the first page or two for future reference.

I find too, that what people are also really looking for are the CONs as well as the PRO's. Which is why I just did a "Demo" not a "Review" thread title. I haven't enough experience to post a list of cons.

Logic Pro X (LPX), Reaper
    What bothers me about Apple, is every new version dramatically alters older menu items, so you effectively have to relearn it. Reaper got so complex so fast I was lost in a sea of options I didn't have time to figure out. I was looking for intuitiveness. LPX is very intuitive, but next version will break a lot of what you know and you'll have to relearn where old things are again. Frustrating (Apple does this with iOS too, I'm getting kind of sick of them)

Harrison Mixbus 3
    I did try out the upgrade to Harrison Mixbus 3 and frankly it sucks so bad I want my money back. I can't even load Waves plugins and the company won't refund or help me. I wish it was physical so I could burn it. There, off my chest, haha.

Cubase, Pro Tools
    Pretty much many polls say Cubase is the bomb. I just have to stop at some point, money-wise and time-wise. I did have Pro Tools 9 from buying the 11R and frankly, it's just too old. You have to setup the I/O and define tracks, etc in a very stiff way. Maybe the newer updates have made it more modern. Reaper is easy peasy in this department and Studio inbetween (easy to make tracks, some I/O definition assignments required)

Logic Pro X - Crashing iMac
    I've also noticed, BTW, that when I leave Logic Pro X open for 24 hours plus, my iMac reboots from a Logic crash. Whereas Studio doesn't, Reaper doesn't. None other do! I don't know why. You'd think that LPX would work seamlessly with apple products but it's just to me the HUGEST bug going, crashing your computer!?! I like Drummer, and have fun tracking. I like the mix busses, etc. But it's beginning, like all things Apple, to piss me off greatly. I think Apple is nose-diving into a world of suck, software-wise. Maybe they've always been like that and their competitors were worse for a time? For me, if you have the best software on earth and it reboots your computer, it's the worst software on earth. I want stability first and foremost.

n-Track
    I had this when it was V1-4 and quickly came to hate it. I just saw v9 is out. Don't have time to try it.

Ableton Live
    Too different for me to get comfortable with. I don't do loops either, which seem perfect for this. I like that it's different. Everyone shouldn't do the same thing. But I just didn't gel with it.

FL Studio
    I got this early just after it name-changed from Fuity Loops to FL Stuido with the "lifetime" upgrades. They are regretting that decision I'm sure. I used it mostly for creating drum patterns and putting live loops to create a kit. Plus some synth stuff for Rap. It did both remarkably easy and well. But I never used it for tracking. It's powerful, but I don't really use it. I think you can get it to work on OS X now.

Summary
    Maybe there is no perfect DAW, only what you get used to. For me, FL Stuido was easy for drum pattern creation and doing song parts. I did love Sony Acid Pro I tried for putting together recorded drum loops. Reaper was FUN FUN FUN back at v2 and while it's a bear now, the skins are amazing, and editing right at the track intuitive and easy. So far, Studio is in the middle of Reaper and LPX for me. Not too complex, not too frustrating, fun at times. Mostly I like how I can play with the windows and open, close things to get more complex, more simple in a button. We will see.

By the time I'm done going through DAWs, I'll know less, have spend the bank, and come to the conclusion I should have just picked one and married it for better or for worse.

The grass is always greener in the other DAW!

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• Ha! I agree with your DAW observations based on what I've read on forums and whatnot over the years, db. Sounds to me like you know the score.

I don't feel I know enough about DP to do it justice in a review, mate, but I do appreciate the suggestion; thank you. Once I've been makin' hittoons for a while on it, I'll be in a position to assess it properly. Thus far, I've just been updating it since 1999 (after switching from CueBalls on ATARI) whilst I slowly reassemble a setup - I had to ditch everything in the late '90s after my best friend died with my life savings and a bunch of unpaid bills.

I like the last thing you said especially, about just picking your poison and getting on with it. Great attitude, man!

• I have been using PTHD for too long. I love the software but I HATE the company AVID. mostly because of there business model and arrogance (i'll stop here else I'll rant forever)

Ive tried to escape it. using most DAW's out there to some extent.

But I always miss the seamless workflow of PT. it just works, and it still does things that no others can do, or as quick...so I end up coming back, dragging my feet.

So im stuck with a software I love, and a company I hate.