Output light peaking using an acoustic

• Hi, had my Kemper for a month or so and been really impressed with it. Used it live with rock profiles usually going direct to p.a with no problems. Just recently started using my acoustic through it using a couple of acoustic rig profiles and noticed the output light is peaking yellow to red. Anyone know why this might be?

• Hi Rog,
    Try reducing the cab volume in the stack section. This can help reduce output level and bring the light back closer to green. I think yellow is ok but red is definately clipping.
    Also check that you haven't got needless effects active by going through each one and checking there is nothing loaded into the slot.
    I assume you input sense is set correctly and that led is green?
    Hope this helps.
    Pre-Amp

• Thanks for coming back so quickly. The rig I'm using hasn't got the cab soft button activated but does have chorus and stereo widener on it. I turned these off and it did indeed stop peaking and yes, input sense is green. Just seems weird that all the effects I've got using my rock profiles, the output stays a steady green yet using the acoustic rigs it's flashing orange/red with only a couple of effects.

cheers for you help.

• A clean sound (and your acoustic sound is a clean sound) has higher peaks than a distorted sound, which is compressed by the distortion itself. That's why a clean sound can make your output LED going red with the same effects and settings you were using before with a distorted sound. Also have a look at all volume settings and note that the effects have volume knobs too.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Anyway, feel free to just lower the Volume knob (not the Master Volume) and resave. Done :)
    In general, you can use any volume starting from the Amp section towards the output... they will have the same effect.
    The SW has got no volume (it doesn't affect the signal's amplitude), but the chorus does has. You can use that one as well. Remember to save :)

PS: As long as the red is not insistent or steady, it doesn't automatically implies a distortion. There's a decent room before saturating.

• just because the output LED turns red on peaks doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. If you don't hear clipping, don't worry about it. It's like recording to tape, if the peaks hit red without audible distortion, you got a healthy level.
    at least that's how I use it.
    You can also try to increase the Compression parameter in the AMPLIFIER a bit.