The other camp - Axe-Fx II Quantum 2.00 Public Beta Deux

• I think it's fair to say that as the AXE has gotten noticeably better, some of the older fanboys have calmed down.

IF the Helix sounded every bit as good as the KPA I'd still keep the KPA for it's ability to add new amps from users. I like such an open and extended capability. But no competitor will ever come close with tone matching EQ crap. That ship sailed a few Ozone's ago.

I do think that Helix will beat the AX8 for just the reasons mentioned, it's in the stores to be seen and played with, but also because it's a much better thought out floorboard. Also, the Helix will probably be supported by Line6 longer than the FXII is by Fractal. You could do an archeological dig concerning Fractal products at this point and put some in museums as far as that company cares to serve their first customers.

Different story with Kemper entirely. Which is why I support Kemper with a passion, aside of it being the best amp tone available, hands down.

BTW, did I read something about Ingolf being a "freak"? Must be 'cause he's so Chic!

(which modeler can do this the best?:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    )

• BTW, did I read something about Ingolf being a "freak"? Must be 'cause he's so Chic!

(which modeler can do this the best?:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    )

LOL! :D
    You made my day.

• Damn! I haven't even watched the clip but that bass line popped straight into my head (bass-playing background) when I saw the title, and now I'm supposed to go to bed? And sleep? Cripes!

Because this is very hard to do. Static no load values do not relate to whats going on. By measuring you can be altering something. Temperature will change values. Having a complex signal going thru a system designed to copy, make it louder, and unique will change component values in real time. This is where any serious component modelling would start. Factor in current eddies etc. it gets complicated fast. Certainly possible, but all of these factors would need a lot more code and processing to cover it properly. Using ears and guesstimating cuts down on this a lot. I think i remember some discussion here about it being difficult or impossible to get separate values for the interaction between an amp and a speaker, and those can be viewed as only 2 components.

Thank you for commenting, Gandalf.

I seem to recall years ago several companies' claims of having modelled all components. L6 for amps, Korg for synths and many others. I was therefore questioning why Cliff chose to guess values previously and only now decided to address the "difficult" work of actually measuring them. If he can now, why couldn't he before?

You can see where I'm coming from, yeah? If you're going to put out the most expensive modeller ever, with the most processing power ever and purport to employ component modelling, why would you be lazy about it and not tackle the "hard stuff", especially when others have done so?

The question is rhetorical, of course, and I don't expect an answer as only Cliff would know. I'm so over these FAS vs Kemper debates now and have surely had quite enough. I'll continue to monitor the threads for the entertainment value they provide and may well succumb to being seduced into responding once in a while, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to avoid getting too deeply into defending the Kemper.

I trust my ears - I have to as I'm staking my livelihood on it, and I've no doubt as to who offers the best "digital" tube-amp sounds. Every time I got sucked into one of those debates I felt deflated before I even began typing as I knew I'd be flogging a dead horse. I mean, if I can hear aunty-titty-city (and feel it) with my Kemper, why should I try to convince anyone of it? Sure, I can state the fact that this is the case, but the rest is up to whomever is concerned. It's like trying to help folks who don't want to be helped. I spent 27 years trying to help extremely hopeless alcohol and drug cases, where all others had given up, in order to learn the "can't help others unless they want to help themselves" lesson. Interestingly, if my final project hadn't have died, I'd probably still be the sucker bobbing in his wake trying to correct all the damage left behind... and lending money... and wasting hours every day pontificating... and being abused.

It seems my past has had an influence on my anti-titty-tube to this FAS vs Kemper thing, having sensitised me to the extent that I feel deflated more or less instantly when I feel I'm wasting my breath. This is surely progress for someone who once was perfectly happy to piss into the wind for years on end!

I'm just over it Big Brother G. Hope you're well mate and thank you for listening (poor sod!).