clean rigs with distorted volume

• Mostly I like playing loud. I use several clean rigs (with chorus volume around 2 and eq at 0.0) and then use a second rig for (heavy) solosound. But the clean rigs confront me mostly with distortion, even with low gain,set at 2.
    I check every time clean sense input and distorted sense input and they're always at 0.0 dB. Where's that distortion coming from? I can tell every time by looking at the clipping red output led, that it's not right, but I can't find the answer to it.

• check every time clean sense input and distorted sense input and they're always at 0.0 dB. Where's that distortion coming from?

I have set my Distortion sense to - 3 db , because I had same Problem.
    Now I can play clean with some power and also with higher gain.

• No, input LED occasionally yellow

For more information: I use a Gibson Les Paul Standard (Jimmy Page 1995) in treble position, no push pulls open and my KPA is connected to a Line6 4x12 cab with (I guess) FF speakers. Could this combination have a bad influence for less cleaner output?

• [/quote]I have set my Distortion sense to - 3 db , because I had same Problem.
    Now I can play clean with some power and also with higher gain.[/quote]

Tried this also. No noticeable changes....!

• CS and DS won't be of help.
    If the output LED is steadily (or very frequently) on the RED, the rig volume is too high. Lower it and resave.
    You can also use the Cabinet volume, or any volume in any FX slot.
    Resave! :D

Clean sounds have much higher peaks than distorted sounds. If you need volume but don't want peaks, you might use for example the Compressor in the Amp section.

HTH :)

• CS and DS won't be of help.
    If the output LED is steadily (or very frequently) on the RED, the rig volume is too high. Lower it and resave.
    You can also use the Cabinet volume, or any volume in any FX slot.
    Resave!

Clean sounds have much higher peaks than distorted sounds. If you need volume but don't want peaks, you might use for example the Compressor in the Amp section.

My volume is always set around 12 o'clock and using a rig from Exchange comes mostly with that value. Master Output is set around 1.2 Clean sense is at 3 dB and dist. sense is at - 3.0 dB. Still there's a red clipping led for both clean and distorted sounds. Using a compressor affects the sounds. I can't get rid of it.

Decreasing the Rig volume means increasing of the Master volume. That keeps the output led green but is this the right way...? Or do I have to play endlessly with Main Volume and Monitor Volume in Output?

• @theplayer: Even when rig volume is at 12o'clock it can clip the output, especially if there is serious boosting/EQing going on in a rig.
    So your guess to keep everything at 12o'clock will not always work out.
    As always, use your ears first, but also your eyes.
    And if the output LED is constantly red you should definitely lower the rig volume.
    Also this doesn't necessarily have to be compensated for with the master volume as you said, because the Profiler has some serious output anyway.

• Still in trying to get things done, I suddenly lost all Reverb and Delay settings in rigs so I had to do a Init Globals to recover this and move on...

a Green output LED on a clean rig does obviously not mean that there's no distortion because I still experience this. What is the right behaviour in all those knobs and settings to get it right, as well for clean as for distorted sounds coming just from the amplifier?

• @theplayer and @Sharry

Watch these videos for an explanation on how to use the Input senses

English :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

German :

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

After you've set up Clean and Distortion senses, you should look at the Cabinet volume, Rig volume and any Stomp/Effect slot volumes and balance them so the Output doesn't hit the red.

Then compensate with the master volume and the volume of any active speakers.

• Almost every stage in the Kemper's sound chain has its own volume parameter. Some rigs from the Rig Exchange have one or more of these set too high, introducing "hidden" volume boosts. Unless you want to achieve a special effect, like overdriving the next component in the chain, these volumes should be set to zero.

Check every stomp slot, the cabinet and every effects slot -- the volume parameter is always all the way to the right in the parameter list.

Also, I don't think the Master Volume knob (or any of the output volumes) will influence internal clipping. Although of course if you set it too high you may clip your poweramp/speakers that come after the Kemper.

Edit -- I've been ninja'ed by Sambrox on this. :) But seriously, check those volume parameters in each stage first. I've seen it lots of times with rigs that sounded louder or more distorted than expected based on the Gain and Rig Volume settings. A high volume in one of the stomps will drive the preamp even if the Gain knob is set very low; a high volume after the amp section can lead to output clipping. And usually there's no reason for it other than to make the rig stand out by sounding louder: the volume parameter is not a "mix" parameter, where a higher setting makes the effect more noticeable; instead, it simply determines the overall output volume of that section (stomp/cabinet/effect) going into the next section.

Just set them all to 0dB (including the Chorus stomp you're using) and use the Rig Volume knob to balance the rig in relation to other rigs.

• I would keep things simple tho, specially at a troubleshooting stage:

Input LED clipping -> Lower Clean Sens until it ceases.
    Output LE clipping -> Lower Volume.
    Distortion on a clean rig, no clipping -> The Profiler is probably clipping the poweramp: lower Master Volume. Or, the poweramp is clipping the cab. Or the unit requires a reset :)

Notes:

• a seldom red blinking on either LEDs doesn't imply distortion.
    • True, there are many places where to turn volume down. But they are all linear, so either will do the job. It's impossible to clip the Profiler internally.
    • I would keep cabinet and amp volumes consistently @ 0, so to have a greater flexibility and coherence for example in order to use them as presets. So I systematically use the Volume knob.
    • Keeping fx' volumes at a level different than 0 only makes sense when you plan to engage the effect(s) in order to get a variation in both tone and volume. If the effect(s) are kept on all the time it's of no use; even when they are placed in the Stomp section, they won't drive an overdrive or the amp differently than the Gain knob.

HTH :)

• I have set my Distortion sense to - 3 db , because I had same Problem.
    Now I can play clean with some power and also with higher gain.

Did you also try clean sence with an higher value, while set the distorted sence to -3 .

Distortion Sense has no impact on clean rigs and Clean Sense has no impact on distorted Rigs - please don't create any more myths about CS & DS with posts like this.

• sambrox, Robrecht, viabcroce, sharry, DonPetersen: Thank you all so much :thumbup: for clearing up things, especially the video which is very clearly about this issue. So I will also have to look to cabinet and rig volumesm stomps etc. that can affect the final volume negatively like a distorted clean sound. I'll get to and hopefully I'll get it all done. I'll be back!

• Question... What is the difference between increasing the gain of a clean sounds to get a distorted solosound or choosing a certain amplifier to reach the same result. What is to prefer?
    Option 1 = playing a clean intro (saved) rig en using that same sound but with much increased gain for rig 2 (saved) for soloing OR
    Option 2 = playing a clean intro (saved) rig and using a whole other rig with a chosen distorted amp for soloing. It seems that this option is much more uncontroleable in getting volumes at the right level

• Question... What is the difference between increasing the gain of a clean sounds to get a distorted solosound or choosing a certain amplifier to reach the same result. What is to prefer?
    Option 1 = playing a clean intro (saved) rig en using that same sound but with much increased gain for rig 2 (saved) for soloing OR
    Option 2 = playing a clean intro (saved) rig and using a whole other rig with a chosen distorted amp for soloing. It seems that this option is much more uncontroleable in getting volumes at the right level

Option one will most likely not work well. Increasing the gain on an otherwise clean amp profile will sound artificial when you get out of a certain range.
    Like in real life, use distortion pedals with the clean amp (which would be option 3) or use a proper amp for overdrive (option 2)

• You can also choose a distorted sound which clears well, and lower its gain for the cleaner\quieter part (even using your guitar's pot if you prefer).
    Remember that through Distorted Sens you can determine how dirt\clean it becomes. also, with the Compression parameter in the Amp section (but also with Clean Sens) you can determine how loud the sound stays when you clear it.
    A whole arsenal of choices, don't be shy at tweaking and choosing what you like best ;D

• OK! Thanks. It came up to me because in the video which sambrox showed me, they increase gain from a clean start. But sofar I have been using other amps in the amp section for soloing. Must only avoid red clipping LED however by following advice.