So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• From now on, whenever the Axe gets mentioned in a new thread, I suggest this exact sentence should be posted. And, posted over and over again, if necessary :)

That's a true statement, but my understanding is that this thread is the AXE FX8 patches of amp models are being profiled using the kemper with a great deal of success. Sure the AXE has more effects but if we're talking amp modeling the title of this thread is a testament that the Kemper is more capable in AMP tones. So for political correctness and not to ruffle any feathers it's good to say both are capable, but if someone asks which is more capable for amp tones, I have no problem recommending the Kemper over the AXE and I can point to this thread and say:

"If you have any doubt that Kemper AMP modeling/profiling is way a head of the AX8 modeling, just check out this thread where deadpan is copying the amp tones of the AX8, unfortunately, If you go with AX8, I can't point you to any thread at the fractal Forum where someone is able to copy the many sought out AMP profiles that Kemper has"

• That's a true statement, but my understanding is that this thread is the AXE FX8 patches of amp models are being profiled using the kemper with a great deal of success. Sure the AXE has more effects but if we're talking amp modeling the title of this thread is a testament that the Kemper is more capable in AMP tones

The Axe with the Q2 firmware is pretty damn close. The KPA may have the slight edge when it comes to raw amp tone (at least for cleaner / mid-gain tones), but I really doubt this is noticeable in the mix. Both sound amazing if you know what you are doing.

• The Axe with the Q2 firmware is pretty damn close. ....

For amp modeling/profiling they are not even close, KPA is in a different league.

1- In the studio a professional guitarist who loves his tube amp, can capture that sound inside the Kemper of his beloved tube amp that he use for recording, The AXE FX can't do that

2-Those who use tube amps live and feed FOH a microphone signal can profile that sound and reuse for ever, if the tube amp should ever die, that sound is preserved for ever. AXE Can't do that

3-With Direct profiling, you can capture direct profiles of your tube amps/Heads and use it with the same physical speaker with identical results. If your tube amp is in repair shop, you have the identical sweet spot that you always used. You save all your tube amps inside the Kemer!!

Again these amp tones can't be achieved with the AXE FX II or AX8

These are real world solutions to real world problems.that the AXE FX II or AX8 can provide an alternate solution but not a real exact solution like the KPA

• These are real world solutions to real world problems.that the AXE FX II or AX8 can provide an alternate solution but not a real exact solution like the KPA

Well, if the result sounds good in both way, then its nothing to say against one of them.

• Your opinion of course, it is really growing tiresome, sorry.

The Kemper doesn't create any sounds per say, studio engineers and enthusiasts create them and the Kemper mimics them, the Axe could not be expected to do this out of the box.

And yes, I am trying to recreate the Axe sounds in the Kemper and I am not the first.

Here is a little test clip. Which are Kemper which are Axe?

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• For amp modeling/profiling they are not even close, KPA is in a different league.

I own both, and they are pretty pretty close, neither is in a different league. Obviously the Axe cannot profile, but then the KPA does not offer the deep editing/customizing like the Axe. I repeat, both sound amazing if you know what you are doing.

• I'

Well, if the result sounds good in both way, then its nothing to say against one of them.

Sure they both sound good and so do many other products such as Torpedo etc but if someone loves his tube amps (all guitar players) and wants that exact sound in a digital format or non digital format (with direct profiling), how can anyone say, that the AXE FX is the same or just as capable as Kemper, other than to be sensitive to those who own Fractal products. Truth.

• Doing a blind test is a great way to let ones ears do the test and not an artist endorsement. To answer your question, it is abundantly clear - one could say, almost day and night. The Axe clip is the one with the fizz and unnatural bloom. Actually, even though I own both, I can't say. What I can say with some certainty is that you can play. To make this fair you should put a time limit (it's been 2 hours already) on this so that he doesn't spend days analyzing frequencies and looking for some missing harmonic frequency in the KPA clips (or something along those lines) to see which is/are the KPA clip(s).
    Edit: Also be prepared for a litany of excuses (can only tell in a full mix, you deliberately made the Axe clip(s) louder to make it stand out more, you really need the original amp clip as well as to tell which is closer to the actual amp etc).
    Edit 2: Oops I see the last excuse has already been used. Sorry about that.
    Edit 3: Well based on the time stamp of his last post, he has had at least 30 minutes to state which are KPA and which are Axe. That should be plenty of time given the certainty displayed in previous posts. Based purely on the Soundcloud wave forms, one seems to be bigger so going to guess that is the KEMPER. Two and three seem to have very similar waveforms so going to guess Axe and Axe with some very minor variations in BMT.
    Edit 4: Wait, I remember thinking once that the Kemper waveforms in videos online seemed to be smaller than the actual source. Based on this (possibly faulty memory) I am going to say one is the Axe and two and three are two different attempts at profiling it (making them the Kemper).

Edited 4 times, last by SwAn1 ().

• interesting points, one thing i was looking for that people missed, who has actually explored EVERY THING, and i mean every thing that the Kemper can do. Look at MBritt's video how he stores configurations and effects and can easily go through rigs and get the set up he likes (custom)

How many of you had made full use of the looper and its new features? what about the Morph...?? Is there more you can do with the Kemper?

YEP.... :P

In saying that, yes i hear you, how many have actually explored EVERY thing the Axe can do... I suggest you explore every thing the Kemper can do (functionally ) , THEN COMPARE...I think you might discover things about your kemper that will make you happy. :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I own an Axe II XL+ and will probably be buying a Kemper soon to add to my arsenal.

All I can say is, when top artists and engineers are using both units in their studio and on the road, it says something about the accuracy and authenticity thereof.

That said, I haven't used a Kemper heretofore, but my impression is that the amp models may sound slightly more accurate / authentic right out of the gate, though that isn't to say the XL+ can't be made to sound practically indistinguishable with a little (or a lot) of tweaking. I don't know and won't know until I get my hands on a Kemper. My plan at this point is to run the Kemper into the Axe in order to use the XL's effects with the Kemper's amps, though that isn't to say I'll be abandoning the Axe's amp and cab sims. I won't. It's mainly because Axe-Edit is awesome, and will simplify adding effects regardless which amps I use.

• I own an Axe II XL+ and will probably be buying a Kemper soon to add to my arsenal.

All I can say is, when top artists and engineers are using both units in their studio and on the road, it says something about the accuracy and authenticity thereof.

That said, I haven't used a Kemper heretofore, but my impression is that the amp models may sound slightly more accurate / authentic right out of the gate, though that isn't to say the XL+ can't be made to sound practically indistinguishable with a little (or a lot) of tweaking. I don't know and won't know until I get my hands on a Kemper. My plan at this point is to run the Kemper into the Axe in order to use the XL's effects with the Kemper's amps, though that isn't to say I'll be abandoning the Axe's amp and cab sims. I won't. It's mainly because Axe-Edit is awesome, and will simplify adding effects regardless which amps I use.

You are in for a real treat when you get the KPA! While I have been talking about the Axe in this thread, the Kemper is a great piece of human ingenuity and fun to play. I remember just smiling from ear to ear the first time I plugged in and played it. Combined with the Axe it gives you more options than you will know what to do with and once 4.0 lands the combined package is going to be even better and more flexible. The pitch effects in the KPA can't be beat and we may be able to move some of the effects from the Axe to the new KPA effects and free up some process in power on the Axe. What a great time to be a guitarist!!!

• You are in for a real treat when you get the KPA! While I have been talking about the Axe in this thread, the Kemper is a great piece of human ingenuity and fun to play. I remember just smiling from ear to ear the first time I plugged in and played it. Combined with the Axe it gives you more options than you will know what to do with and once 4.0 lands the combined package is going to be even better and more flexible. The pitch effects in the KPA can't be beat and we may be able to move some of the effects from the Axe to the new KPA effects and free up some process in power on the Axe. What a great time to be a guitarist!!!

I'm super excited at the thought of having both units. Just for kicks, I've downloaded and re-amped a few Kemper samples through the Axe using some of the Axe's effects and the result was really beautiful. The first order of business will be to buy some Michael Britt profile packs.

• I'm super excited at the thought of having both units. Just for kicks, I've downloaded and re-amped a few Kemper samples through the Axe using some of the Axe's effects and the result was really beautiful. The first order of business will be to buy some Michael Britt profile packs.

His packs are great. I also recommend TopJimi if you want some amazing Marshall tones.