So I bought an Axe Fx Ax8 and I have been profiling my preset as I make them...

• Welcome Monkey!

I just found out that for profiles created in 4.0 one needs at least 3.3 to load them so if anyone is below 3.3 please do not load the Splawn profile until you upgrade.

Thank you for the heads-up, deadster.

Keeping anything new you post zipped up nice and on ice 'til I upgrade.

• Here is a sound sample of the SVT bass profile on the exchange:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I lowered the treble and presence from the Exchange version plus added a low pass filter.

• Welcome again Monkey. Note that the low pass filter in the active EQ is your friend with this profile as it is kinda bright, I blame it on old strings...

At the request of @billruppert I profiled some of the stock Axe presets. For the first batch I profiled Mr Z 38, Carol Ann OD 2 and 5153 Blue. There are no edits on these and they use the stock IR's. If anyone is interested in trying them PM me.

• Deadpan, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be interested in all of the stock presets. I certainly am, and so will wait 'till you're "done", unless, of course, you pop them all onto the exchange...

It would be seriously great to have 'em all up there IMHO, mate. Whaddaya think?

• When I started the conversation with @billruppert (who happens to be an awesome session player and have his own profile pack hosted by Kemper!) I was trying to figure out the value of this. He has convinced me that others would be interested and he seems to really like my method of profiling. It is not easy to get them right and sometimes takes a half hour or more to get one right. Very time consuming. I have told Bill I will continue to work toward profiling them all. There are over 200 amps so it is quite the task. I asked what he felt would be an appropriate price and he suggested possibly $50? I felt if he were selling others may be likely to pay but coming from me that it would be unlikely. What do you guys think would be a fair price for all of the Ax amps?

• Well, for starters, deadpan, I assumed there would have been maybe 30 amps, just like in the Helix and POD HDs. If I'd known there were so many, I'd not have asked!

As, I said, I'm surprised the ALL the POD HD, Helix and Axe amps haven't been profiled and added to the exchange, considering the size of our user base and the fact that very many have transitioned from said modelling units with "crossover" periods, some even choosing to own / keep both / all their units.

In light of the fact that they're not all up there, and also that you'd be doing them all on your lonesome, you'd get no argument from me if you chose to charge for 'em. If the price was right (read: cheap, as I'm sick and don't work), I'd be all-in.

It's up to you, mate. Let's see what others say.

• Yeah, I would only want to charge what its worth but it is going to be a lot of work. It would be pretty valuable for those who really want to see what is under the Axe's hood without buying one though.

Bill edited one of the profiles for a Allan Holdsworth type sound and recorded a clip:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He is a monster player for real. You guys should check out Bill's Electro Harmonix videos. He is a pro all day!

He sent me the edited profile is anyone is interested.

• In my opinion, it would be a monumental task to profile each amp in the Axe, and considering all of the possible settings for a given amp, it can get crazy. If I knew exactly how to go about profiling it, I'd give it a whirl with my Axe.

• In my opinion, it would be a monumental task to profile each amp in the Axe, and considering all of the possible settings for a given amp, it can get crazy. If I knew exactly how to go about profiling it, I'd give it a whirl with my Axe.

And also the monumental task of having to re-profile everything after each firmware change in the axe fx since they frequently change their amp sounds so it's impossible to have tone consistency. If eq tone matched patches are made in the Axe they have to be re-made after each firmware. The work around is jumping between several firmwares that all have different sounds but that becomes extremely time consuming.
    Having built a 100 patches that all needs to be re-tweaked and having a 100 eq tone matched patches that needs to be completely done again is a neverending Sisyphean task if one want to have new firmware features and also want to have the same consistent sound in the Axe fx.

• As, I said, I'm surprised the ALL the POD HD, Helix and Axe amps haven't been profiled and added to the exchange...

No offenses to anyone but it did surprise me when I first got the KPA, but I quickly realized that the reason is very simple. There' really no demand to speak off. I came to this realization when I went to the rig exchange and ran across several AXE II profiles. When you compare them to a KPA profile of the same AMP, you quickly realize why most KPA users quickly lose interest in the AXE FX II or any other modeler.

• No offenses to anyone but it did surprise me when I first got the KPA, but I quickly realized that the reason is very simple. There' really no demand to speak off. I came to this realization when I went to the rig exchange and ran across several AXE II profiles. When you compare them to a KPA profile of the same AMP, you quickly realize why most KPA users quickly lose interest in the AXE FX II or any other modeler.

I feel the same. While I have heard some decent Axe profiles they certainly are far from the best available.
    Better go for the real deal. ;)
    IMO.
    Still your efforts are much appreciated @deadpan

• And also the monumental task of having to re-profile everything after each firmware change in the axe fx since they frequently change their amp sounds so it's impossible to have tone consistency. If eq tone matched patches are made in the Axe they have to be re-made after each firmware. The work around is jumping between several firmwares that all have different sounds but that becomes extremely time consuming.
    Having built a 100 patches that all needs to be re-tweaked and having a 100 eq tone matched patches that needs to be completely done again is a neverending Sisyphean task if one wants to have new firmware features and also want to have the same consistent sound in the Axe fx.

I wouldn't re-profile over a firmware upgrade anymore than I'd re-record an entire song over one. The qualitative sonic improvements between upgrades is typically so subtle as to be negligible, in my opinion. Further, any new features added as a result of a firmware upgrade wouldn't be accessible to Kemper owners anyway so I'm not sure why that would be relevant to anyone but Axe owners.

• No offenses to anyone but it did surprise me when I first got the KPA, but I quickly realized that the reason is very simple. There' really no demand to speak off. I came to this realization when I went to the rig exchange and ran across several AXE II profiles. When you compare them to a KPA profile of the same AMP, you quickly realize why most KPA users quickly lose interest in the AXE FX II or any other modeler.

You can compare the same (real) amps among several different profiles in general on the Exchange and the quality can range from great to awful. Personally, I think Dead-pan's Splawn Q Rod profile sounds pretty darn good. I didn't realize it was an Axe profile originally when I was thumbing through the most recently added profiles on the Exchange but it stood out to my ears. While I'm at it, I also liked the Axe Bulb and Axe Bulb 2 profiles.

• Tim's (Deadpan) profiles are very different then what has been before for the Axe.
    These sound great.
    There are tons of profiles up here of the real thing and they sound horrid.
    Real or emulation means nothing to me.
    I go for what sounds and feels the best.

• :)

The pack wouldn't be for those who have decided in their own mind the Kemper is superior or for those that tried the Axe and moved on. More for those that are curious or have a use for them. The profiles I have done so far are 98-100 percent matches to the Axe stock presets. Whether this is good or bad is up to the player. Initially I didnt give the stock presets a chance as my perception was not ready to accept them. I have to admit that a couple have really surprised me. This is all about capturing the Axe's stock state as accurately as possible at it's curent firmware today.