Dull sound!!! (yeah, another one of my threads like this)

• No, the light is green, but if I raise any more than -12 it starts going red, I think at -8 or something it's always on red

EMGs have weak magnets so they are made to be close to the strings. I dont want to lower them

My passive pickups  in other guitars are lower of course

(WHATS UP WITH ALL THE <p> COMING UP IN MY MESSAGES?! ITS ANNOYING!!! I can solve it by editing, but just posting a message gives <p> around every line)

• Happens to me as well, when I post from the iPad... :/

Back to topic, i can't see any limitation in setting CS to such a low value if the signal is strong enough. Just out of curiosity, do you own other guitars to cross-check?

• <p>

Happens to me as well, when I post from the iPad... :/</p>

<p>Back to topic, &nbsp;i can't see any limitation in setting CS to such a low value if the signal is strong enough. Just out of curiosity, do you own other guitars to cross-check?

</p>

<p>Yeah this happens with all 5 guitars :P</p>

<p>They have a variety of pickups. Passive custom humbuckers, Dimarzios, EMG 81, EMG 60, EMG 85 and so on.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>

One way to check if the pickups are clipping is to play the clean channel on an amp and listen for some unpleasent / unwanted distortion.

</p>

<p>Everything sounds great with -12 setting. I dont try anything else</p>

• It's ok if it is working for you. I would never do that. What makes the red light appear is the amount of bass being picked up, and if the pickups are set to high they will get a lot more bass (proximity effect) that will eventually mask the higher strings.
    No red lights or clean/dist senses changes for me with the emgs

• <p>Everything sounds great with -12 setting. I dont try anything else</p>

I would have to raise the pickups to almost touch the strings to make any of my guitars that hot. The extreme pull on the strings with pickup-magnets that close would totally kill the sustain. Did you ever have a professional luthier evaluate the setup of your guitar?

I hardly ever touch any of the sense-setting. I enjoy the different characteristics of each of my guitars. Tweaking the clean and distortion sense parameters wipes out the differences and totally defeats the purpose of using different guitars for different styles of music. I simply don't expect my 1956 Stratocaster and my 2009 Jackson JCS to work with the same profiles, just the same way that I wouldn't use the same amp/settings for the two.

• I enjoy the different characteristics of each of my guitars. Tweaking the clean and distortion sense parameters wipes out the differences and totally defeats the purpose of using different guitars for different styles of music.

Actually, CS doesn't affect your guitars' tone. It's just a special volume control that allows to more easily reach unity gain.
    The only thing it can change is how loud your cleans sound.

:)

• No, the light is green, but if I raise any more than -12 it starts going red, I think at -8 or something it's always on red

EMGs have weak magnets so they are made to be close to the strings. I dont want to lower them

My passive pickups &nbsp;in other guitars are lower of course

Cedrick...I agree with previous posts and recommendations. Your input clipping problem is most likely due to the fact that you have the EMG pickups too high, i.e. too close to the strings. The relatively "weak" magnetic field flux of these EMG pickups (as compared to passive type) is more than made up for the fact that it is actively boosting the signal. By design, the EMGs have a built-in preamp.

So, the fact remains...the guitar signal going from your EMG equipped guitar to the input of the KPA appears to be too strong. The obvious remedy to this is to reduce the signal strength...and this means lowering the height of the EMG pickups in relation to the strings. Trust me...try it.

P.S. -- the reason that this becomes an issue is specifically because you are dealing with a digital amplifier that has an A/D converter, which is being overloaded and causing digital clipping. This wouldn't be such an issue when you are using your EMG equipped guitar into a tube amplifier. All things being equal, the hot signal coming from your EMG equipped guitar into the input of a tube amp will simply cause the tube amp's preamp to start "distorting" earlier...but that tends to be okay and go unnoticed, because of the nature of how a vacuum tube distorts. But this becomes a serious issue when there is an A/D converter involved, as is the case here.

When you see EMG resources stating that it is okay to install their pickups at a height very close to the strings...it is based upon an assumed paradigm, which is that the EMG/guitar is being used with a traditional tube-based guitar amplifier. What works just fine in an analog setting does not always translate over when it comes to a digital system.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Not sure I follow here... if the Input LED barely touches the red there's no clipping. What's wrong (exclusively from the Profiler's standpoint) with CS set @ -12? Am I missing something?

• Actually, CS doesn't affect your guitars' tone.

Sure it doesn't change the tone coming out of the guitar, but massaging the input gain affects everything that follow in the signal chain. Do you put a box between your guitars and your tubeamps that make every guitar deliver an equally strong signal? I don't. I expect an old guitar with weak pickups to deliver a considerably weaker signal to my amp than a modern metal axe with hot active pickups. The amp I choose for the classic tones similarly require the weaker input for the preamp to generate the tone I'm after. I find that this translates perfectly from my collection of classic tubeamps to my profiler.

• P.S. -- the reason that this becomes an issue is specifically because you are dealing with a digital amplifier that has an A/D converter, which is being overloaded and causing digital clipping.

Exactly.

Maybe also worth mentioning that a lot of people experience similar issues when they connect the profiler (or other amp-sim) with too hot output to a digital mixing-console or audio-recording-interface. Where an old analog desk would more or less gracefully and gradually distort, distortion in the digital converter sounds horrible. There should be warnings and clip-indicators lighting up all over the place, but the problem is still overlooked far to often according to frequent discussions on this and other forums.

Digital may be good for a lot of stuff, but it makes it more important than ever to maintain the right signal-levels throughout your signal chain.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Sure it doesn't change the tone coming out of the guitar, but massaging the input gain affects everything that follow in the signal chain. Do you put a box between your guitars and your tubeamps that make every guitar deliver an equally strong signal? I don't.

Oh, so you maybe meant

Setting the clean and distortion sense parameters to the same values for all the guitars wipes out the differences

CS should firstly be set so that a guitar doesn't clip the A\D converter. You don't want this to happen. If you don't lock the Input, the current CS value will be inherited from the rig you have loaded, which doesn't sound like a good idea to me (if CS was set for a vintage strato and you use EMGs...).
    So if you want each of your guitars to drive the Stomps and Amp sections according to their PUs' nature, you should at least set CS so that when you strum hard with your hottest guitar you don't clip the A\D converter. At that stage, by locking the input, you'll keep all the natural differences among your guitars being sure - at the same time - that you don't clip.

• Setting the clean and distortion sense parameters to the same values for all the guitars wipes out the differences

This is the opposite of what I meant. What i meant to say is that it doesn't make sense to tweak the input signal of each guitar so that they all deliver an equally strong signal to the preamp-stage in a tube-amp or the preamp-simulator in a digital chain.

• It's all good after I learned what Definition Clarity and Pick do.

I dont use Clarity at all but Definition is REALLY useful. Pick I always set to +1.0 or +1.5

Some profiles have Defition at about 5.0 and Pick at 0.0 and THAT IS what made everything sound dull!

At Definition 7-9 and Pick at 1.0 to 1.5 everything is just AWESOME.

And I bought SinMix 5150 profiles which often sound good, but the gain is always ridiclously high, so I turn the gain back to 5-6 or something on all profiles.

• I guess we all have different tastes and needs :)

I play really fast riffs at times, and every note has to come out perfectly, therefor I need a lot of defintion and pick.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.