Dull sound!!! (yeah, another one of my threads like this)

• I've made a couple of "lifeless sound" threads before and now I'm at it again... But please read anyway :love:

While I do get "good sounds" out of the Kemper (I use SPDIF connection) I noticed today when comparing back and forth (several times) between my interface headphones out, and the Kemper headphones out (usually I don't use headphones, but I did it now for the experiments sake) and I do think I can hear a difference!!!!!!!

I haven't done this before, but I think the Kemper Headphones Out sounds better than the headphones in my interface. It's a Tascam US-144mkii.

I always have trouble getting a kickass metal sound... I look for some free Kemper profiles that sounds great on the preview clips. and once I install and try them out myself, they sound like shit.

So I'm definitely doing something wrong, because so far, I've only liked 2-3 profiles, and they are all 5150s, and one I use most, is actually the stock TAF \m/ Van Halen 8)

But still, I keep comparing my recorded guitars to album guitars (lloaded into my daw) and I never get a sound that's remotely as sharp, cutting and define!!!! Doesn't matter how many profiles I try!!! There's something dull, and cranking the treble/presence doesn't do any good either, I know I shouldn't take them to 5.0 ||

This reminds of this thread:
    Kemper Main Outs sound different (worse) than headphone/monitor out

• while you wait for more experienced guys to join in, here's my poor contribution to your cause.

first thing that you HAVE to remind is that the Kemper is not an easy machine. because it is what it is, a profiler, it must be tweaked...and tweaked well. the risk for not working the kpa out is a non satisfactorying result.

as far as I remember there was none of the profiles I bought or got from the RE that had not to be tweaked....and tweaked well. just to make an example the 95% of the cases I switch cab to Tills cabs (which are already in your kpa if you didn't purge them).

then comes the main EQ...then the stack parameters which are critical to a good sound (check kemper youtube video for it).
    after that comes the listening which is not recomended to happen on headphones.

so, you see, there are dozens of parameters which have to be learned to how to handle in order to get a killer sound. the fact that the machine has to be tweaked might be be liked or not. in fact many prefer a amp head, plug a cable and go for it.

here things have to be controlled, studied, applied, mistaken and learned again....but at the end the result will be incredible.

I have heard killer metal sound by many people, here and around the world. this means your kpa have the same potentiality to have the same. it is in there....dig it. you won't regret!

hope I could be of help

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• The difference between S/PDIF and KPA headphones out is normal. It means that the D/A converter and the amplifier inside your interface is not as good (at least different) than the ones inside the KPA. Use the analog outs of the KPA, or get a better interface.

As far as finding some great high gain tones: it takes time, but well worth it. Most of my high gain favorites are free. I can assure you they are out there somewhere. You just need to find the ones you like.

• If you try profiles that sound ok in recorded samples, but not in your headphones on the KPA, try adjusting input sense. Your guitar may not match the one used to dial in the real amp prior to profiling.

Beware that "headphone space" (output page 5/6) affects the KPA headphone output, but not the main output signal going to your recording interface.

Make sure signal levels are matching throughout your signal chan. I.e. no clipping anywhere, and no unnecessary attenuation/amplification of the signal that may add noise.

Do you get strong and clear clean sounds into your recording rig? You wouldn't believe how many people who are complaining about metal sounds recorded from modellers (not just the Kemper) yet are unaware that they've got clipping or other additional distortion added in their signal chain.

I've had this conversation countless times with inexperienced metal-heads who are too consumed with distortion to try anything else:

Modeller newbie: my metal sounds are horrible
    Me: play clean sounds
    Modeller newbie: trying, but clean patches also distort unless I turn the guitar down so much it is hardly audible
    Me: Check your signal levels throughout (match outputs to inputs). Once your cleans sound ok your metal sounds will be decent too.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Thanks! I dialed up the Definition to 10 and now it sounds good, haha.

I never really understood the difference between "definition" and "clarity", but I watched this video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And understand that the "definition" gives string clarity... Despite the name. Haha! Anyway, now it sounds heaps better.

I only thought those were glorified EQ controls.

Before I played with "definition" the only control I really used was "pick" which is still awesome, but I dont have to set it as high to get good picking sounds.

The difference between S/PDIF and KPA headphones out is normal. It means that the D/A converter and the amplifier inside your interface is not as good (at least different) than the ones inside the KPA. Use the analog outs of the KPA, or get a better interface.

As far as finding some great high gain tones: it takes time, but well worth it. Most of my high gain favorites are free. I can assure you they are out there somewhere. You just need to find the ones you like.

From what I understand there's no big difference in different SPDIF inputs?

Actually, it might as well just be worse headphone output quality. It's a Tascam US-144MKII so it's not the highest standard, but still good enough for me.

Yeah I have headphone space down to 0 already

My "clean sense" is down to -12 otherwise it gets red all the time when playing.
    My distortion sense is at 0.0

• Beware that "headphone space" (output page 5/6) affects the KPA headphone output, but not the main output signal going to your recording interface.

It depends! There's a tick box in the output menu, where you can choose if you want space only on headphone out or as well on the main outs (and in this case - if I remember correct - on the SPDIF out too). It's a stereo effect so it affects all stereo outs.
    BTW: This is the reason why I connect the KPA via main out to my CLR, not via monitor out. So it even works with a mono connection from a stereo out.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I decided to try out some commercial rigs for the first time and I bought the 5051 by The Amp Factory and it's absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why didn't I try this before? I have to try out some more professional profiles in the near future, because this was one of those "aha!" experiences.

The rig manager is a great concept, but it's obvious that some of the profiles are made by clueless people, and I haven't found ONE that I want to use, and I've downloaded hundreds of profiles. Not so with The Amp Factory :)

• -12? Wow! What pickups do you use?

Custom humbucker by Starstruck, EMG 60, EMG 81, and singlecoils...

No matter what pickups I have to reduce the "clean sens" to -12.

It doesn't even affect the sound anyway on my distorted channels...

I have made threads about this but nobody has come up with a solution to it :P I've seen others have the same issue as well. But as long as it sounds great, I don't feel the need to screw around with it, I just leave it as it is.

• Just a little question, have you tried comparing the tones on a decent monitoring system ?

I personally can't stand the tone coming from headphones when playing my guitars. I only use my headphones at late mix stage to get another picture.

• Yeah, it's ok to leave it as it is if it sounds good. It's just strange...
    BTW: It's intended that clean sens is not affecting your sound.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• what dull sound you are talking about? I hear a very nice and powerful guitar timbre....really don't know what the original problem was :)

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Just a little question, have you tried comparing the tones on a decent monitoring system ?

I personally can't stand the tone coming from headphones when playing my guitars. I only use my headphones at late mix stage to get another picture.

I never record or play with headphones, I stated that in the OP.

I just noticed this difference now when I actually DID try headphones.

what dull sound you are talking about? I hear a very nice and powerful guitar timbre....really don't know what the original problem was :)

You dont notice I bought these profiles AFTER I made the thread? :P haha

• yes, i did notice...and my comment was to tell you that it is a lot more productive to search and investigate. after all, what did you do to solve your issue? test try some profile and watch a video...it isn't rocket science after all, uh? :)

• <p>Yeah I know but I easily get upset about stuff and think it's the end of the world&nbsp;</p>

I understand.....but consider this: if we use the same energies spent (better: wasted) in the upset status to do something useful, we would have all the solution in our hands...

• I've done threads on the issue with "-12 clean sense" but nobody has come up with a solution for me :P

You mean you're clipping the input, don't you?
    IOW, it is steadily on red, isn't it?

Yep, the Us' height would be the first thing to check, but not because the Profiler would not sound good (if you barely touch the red at the input, the converters are getting a robust signal nevertheless): it's rather because the guitar will not express its full potential otherwise.