Anyone happy using smaller monitors (around 5") with their Kemper? Update!

• Nice catch on the JBL's. It's been a while since I've shopped for nearfields. It looks like the same type of high-excursion ("long-throw" in JBL-speak) drivers showing up in bass cabs are also making it into studio monitors.

I wouldn't worry about the rear porting on the JBL's either. The port location doesn't affect the way that the box couples to the room at all, since the bass frequencies become velocity waves (omnidirectional) just outside of the port. A front ported and rear ported cabinet will behave the same way at the same position, unless you are actually blocking a rear port and changing it's effective open area.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• Nice catch on the JBL's. It's been a while since I've shopped for nearfields. It looks like the same type of high-excursion ("long-throw" in JBL-speak) drivers showing up in bass cabs are also making it into studio monitors.

I wouldn't worry about the rear porting on the JBL's either. The port location doesn't affect the way that the box couples to the room at all, since the bass frequencies become velocity waves (omnidirectional) just outside of the port. A front ported and rear ported cabinet will behave the same way at the same position, unless you are actually blocking a rear port and changing it's effective open area.

Thanks for this. I was actually wondering if the front ported Focals might be better as they'll be placed fairly close to a wall. Having said that, I'm not going for high volume playing so it could well be a moot point regardless.

• Thanks and yes, done :) I just assumed small monitors would mean the same to everyone.

Ha! My pleasure mate. Now I know what it feels like to be a mod; every post since has been right on target, which is great.

Having said that, as SpottyDog is happy without using his sub most of the time, maybe my worry that there won't be enough bottom end with a 5" cone is unfounded.

Seriously mate, you don't need much action below 100Hz for guitar; it's just hype in that area, and not something you'd retain in a mix.

If your monitors are reasonably accurate down to 70Hz or even less, as many 5" jobs are, you should be more than happy.

IMHO, this means that the determining factors for you would likely come down to tonal colour (naturalness), power and punch.

Great thread, Davy; it's helping others too.

• Seriously mate, you don't need much action below 100Hz for guitar; it's just hype in that area, and not something you'd retain in a mix.

Not true in my experience. I certainly wouldn't cut off all the sound below 100Hz on a guitar track, or even 70 for that matter! Plus I assume the monitors would carry a mix of Bass and Drums too.

• Not true in my experience. I certainly wouldn't cut off all the sound below 100Hz on a guitar track, or even 70 for that matter! Plus I assume the monitors would carry a mix of Bass and Drums too.

I agree mwinter77. I wouldn't intentionally cut it all off for home use, especially without accompaniment. If I were sharing the frequency spectrum with drums, bass and a bunch of other stuff, I'd look at it differently 'though. Perhaps it's just the engineer in me that determines my approach.

I was simply saying that the linearity of the monitors is not critical in that range for guitar (for home use, remember), because most of the energy (for guitar) in that area is what I called hype. I could just as easily have called it "welly" or "weight", but either way, IMHO it's not something one should necessarily be looking for from a small set of monitors. A cabinet? Sure, but 5" monitors? I don't think so.

I only pointed out that in most mix situations not much is retained (if anything) below 100 Hz in order to help illustrate the point to Davy that IMHO he needn't lose any sleep over how flat the monitors he chooses are in that area. He'll still hear most of what's going on down to around 50Hz or even lower with some 5" sets, but the response will be bumpy down there - not linear and therefore not 100% true-to-life. Given that the 50-100Hz range is not the primary or even secondary focus of an amped guitar's bandwidth (typically, with rare exceptions), the fact that the response might not be linear is for the purpose of home use, inconsequential IMHO.

Cheers bud.

• The OP mentioned playing drop tunings without any accompaniment. For a 7-string guitar, the low B is at about 62Hz. I agree about frequency slotting in a mix, but for jamming it up solo, I say go for broke! I played bass for years without ever hearing the fundamental of my E-string through my bass amp. Once you do though, there's no going back. :thumbup:

• The OP mentioned playing drop tunings without any accompaniment. For a 7-string guitar, the low B is at about 62Hz. I agree about frequency slotting in a mix, but for jamming it up solo, I say go for broke! I played bass for years without ever hearing the fundamental of my E-string through my bass amp. Once you do though, there's no going back. :thumbup:

I use drop D a fair bit and very occasionally drop C on 6 strings. I've no clue what frequency those relate to but I guess it's not very low compared to modern metal guys with their 7 strings :)

• Well, drop C is only a half-step away from a conventionally tuned 7-string. Of course these kids today with their 30" scale 9 string guitars and 42 string basses with necks like an aircraft carrier would scoff at that. 8)

• I thought I'd update this thread after getting myself some small monitors today. I don't have a lot of places close by to try numerous monitors but I tried some Yamaha HS8s and 7s (which were both good but too large for my desk) and the little JBLs. After hearing the JBLs I really didn't feel the need to try and find anything else, they're fantastic little monitors, at a silly price, with more than enough oomph and quality for my needs. They're really great with the Kemper and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing frequency wise.

Now, admittedly I'm not trying for amp in the room, trouser flapping bass or massive volume. I just wanted something that can play back faithfully what I hear in my headphones without tweaking profile EQs like crazy. These little monitor's deliver in spades and for the money I'm amazed. I was somewhat wary of the hype these get on the internet but they really are that good. Granted I've only had an hour with them so it's early days but I'm very impressed and very happy so far :)

Just for some background, in case I sound far too enthusiastic, I have Dynaudio BM6As I use in my lounge for listening to music. When used with the Kemper, I can't really notice a huge difference in sound quality considering the large difference in price. If nothing else, anyone looking for monitors for their Kemper (if your needs are similar to mines) would be advised to give the JBLs a listen before shelling out for high end monitors :thumbup:

• I thought I'd update this thread after getting myself some small monitors today. I don't have a lot of places close by to try numerous monitors but I tried some Yamaha HS8s and 7s (which were both good but too large for my desk) and the little JBLs. After hearing the JBLs I really didn't feel the need to try and find anything else, they're fantastic little monitors, at a silly price, with more than enough oomph and quality for my needs. They're really great with the Kemper and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing frequency wise.

Now, admittedly I'm not trying for amp in the room, trouser flapping bass or massive volume. I just wanted something that can play back faithfully what I hear in my headphones without tweaking profile EQs like crazy. These little monitor's deliver in spades and for the money I'm amazed. I was somewhat wary of the hype these get on the internet but they really are that good. Granted I've only had an hour with them so it's early days but I'm very impressed and very happy so far :)

Just for some background, in case I sound far too enthusiastic, I have Dynaudio BM6As I use in my lounge for listening to music. When used with the Kemper, I can't really notice a huge difference in sound quality considering the large difference in price. If nothing else, anyone looking for monitors for their Kemper (if your needs are similar to mines) would be advised to give the JBLs a listen before shelling out for high end monitors :thumbup:

JBLs LSR305?

Awesome, Davey! Woohoo!

Told you you wouldn't miss the lows... but you believed me, right? LOL

• What I like most in these JBL monitors is that they somehow manage to sound exciting while still being pretty flat. They are really good overall. I just listened to a flac version of Sia's piano version of Chandellier... Wow! It really blew my mind. Going back to my trusty ATH M50s sounds scooped and just untrue compared to the JBLs.

• What I like most in these JBL monitors is that they somehow manage to sound exciting while still being pretty flat. They are really good overall. I just listened to a flac version of Sia's piano version of Chandellier... Wow! It really blew my mind. Going back to my trusty ATH M50s sounds scooped and just untrue compared to the JBLs.

I totally get where you're coming from Daniel; I feel exactly the same way about my Opals.

So flat and true... and yet, always exciting. This is the "Holy Grail" to me - a monitor's ability to be linear, punchy and have mojo all at the same time.