M Britt's heavy profile pack

• I don't add any eq during profiling or after. Some of the low end may be attributed to Fletcher Munson curves and volume. I find some of my profiles sound darker at lower volumes but sound balanced at high (stage) volume. Definitely, tweak the definition a bit with humbuckers. I find humbuckers have a wide range of tone and it's hard to "solve" for all of those variables on my end but that's why I try to find mic positions and settings where the Definition has room to change both up and down so it can be adjusted. Many high gain amps have a lot of high frequency distortion which makes the Definition really high but it can't be brightened that way after the fact using the Definition. My baseline humbucker has been a Gibson 57 Classic when profiling higher gain amps lately. It is more vintage voiced, so if you have hotter or warmer humbuckers you may have to tweak the Definition as well as use some EQ for a low cut to get it in balance. The 5150 pack seems to have a little clearer cut without the low end build up.

You can also try swapping cabs from other rigs if you find a cab that gets rid of the low end. It can sometimes work. I've done that a little bit on some hard to tweak rigs.

• Reducing the bass actually seems to muffle the tone even more. I found a sweet spot at around +2.

To me, this is bizarre, but hey, if it works for you, mate, then it's all-good.

Middle and Treble are up in the +3/4 region...

Settings such as this make me wonder whether or not it's just not the cab for you; you may be better-off swapping it out.

The 5150 pack seems to have a little clearer cut without the low end build up.

I've found that it's a universal characteristic of Profiles of the amp, Michael; even the crappiest ones on the exchange have a more-mix-ready cut-through and lack of woolliness, so this isn't surprising.

Thanks for chiming in, mate. ;)

• I don't add any eq during profiling or after. Some of the low end may be attributed to Fletcher Munson curves and volume. I find some of my profiles sound darker at lower volumes but sound balanced at high (stage) volume. Definitely, tweak the definition a bit with humbuckers. I find humbuckers have a wide range of tone and it's hard to "solve" for all of those variables on my end but that's why I try to find mic positions and settings where the Definition has room to change both up and down so it can be adjusted. Many high gain amps have a lot of high frequency distortion which makes the Definition really high but it can't be brightened that way after the fact using the Definition. My baseline humbucker has been a Gibson 57 Classic when profiling higher gain amps lately. It is more vintage voiced, so if you have hotter or warmer humbuckers you may have to tweak the Definition as well as use some EQ for a low cut to get it in balance. The 5150 pack seems to have a little clearer cut without the low end build up.

You can also try swapping cabs from other rigs if you find a cab that gets rid of the low end. It can sometimes work. I've done that a little bit on some hard to tweak rigs.

Okay, cheers. I tend to always practise/play with headphones, not through a live cabinet. Do you think this could be factor?

• Ah, should mention I'm playing through headphones also! ATH-M50xs.

I did change the cab to the one that's used in the profile I linked earlier in the thread and it did give it an extra ommpf and made it sound quite like the profile linked itself so I do think messing around with the cabs is in order.

As I was reading this thread yesterday, someone mentioned about changing cabs and to use Tills cabs, it's actually a Till cab I switched to so I think I'm on the right track there. Going to grab his cabs and test them out.

Unfortunately I have no time the next few days, I'm off to Amsterdam Saturday for 4 days so won't get a chance to experiment until Wednesday next week at the earliest.