Passive FRFR for a powered rack

• Been thinking I need to move to FRFR or at least give it a go.

As I have a powered rack, and wanted to keep costs down to start I was thinking of going for a passive cab.

The only minor problem is that most passive monitors have speakon connectors and therefore I would have to use a adaptor from my speaker out.

Are there any issues with this i.e. using my speaker out as opposied to using a monitor/main out that you would for an active speaker ?

Anyone else use passive?

One crazy thought I had was to get an empty 2 x12 and use the innerds from a PA speaker ( woofer, tweeter and cfrossover) for that cab like apperance ? Would this work and anyone else done it ? All the FRFR solutions seems so expensive!

• Why not try a Matrix FR212? at 16 Ohms they deliver 300W RMS. Just a straight jack input, so no wiring probs. The cab´s a beast. There are no issues, but you have to have 16 ohms at the moment, so you won´t be able to use your full 600 watt RMS that the power rack can deliver. Some people on this forum knock Matrix, but I have never had any problems dealing with them.

P.S. never done D.I.Y. on a cab before; I leave that to the experts. I just love to plug and play!

;)

• +1 for not assembling "FRFR" cabs at home... a linear sound takes much more than the linearity of the components.

As for the passive cab, the AA CLR is very, very good.
    The point is that a really transparent and linear cab is just expensive to design and manufacture.

I guess most speakon sockets also accept standard 1/4" plugs?

HTH

• Ooh, let me help you pick a passive FRFR speaker cab.

http://www.kpa-solutions.com/f…inets/blueamps-212fr/</a>

This one is freaking expensive.

http://www.kpa-solutions.com/camper-plus-kit/

And this one is DIY for a lot less.

• Cheers, guys, I guess the point is there are all expensive...Matrix FR212 and Atomic CLR's are circa £800 which is quite an investment.

Trying to find a cheaper entry point. The DIY camper is interesting. Otherwise I'll go PA speaker ( Yamaha DXR or EV) although they are still circa £400...

My question was more around whether having a powered rack helped regarding options or there were issues to consider that I might have missed.

I take the point about trying to build an FRFR is probably a non starter...

I think there is a market here for a cheaper alternative :)

Edited once, last by V8guitar ().

• V8, if you wanna go cheaper you could find some decent monotoring speakers but they are home and studio applications only.
    better let us know how you wanna use your gear but if you wanna use it live/rehearsal conditions the DXR is the cheapest you will find in top quality gear.

what I have learned in discussions here is that a powered unit is for playing through a regular cab. you could use a FRFR but that's not originaly intended for. going FRFR requires an active system for optimal use and costs much. if your intention is to use your KPA within a band then you will use a limited number of profiles that you can send through a cab that you like.

if you play through a mixer all the time and don't need monitoring, you can plug your KPA directly to FOH

BTW matrix is about to release the FR10 at £549 & FR12 at £599. check their fb page
    HTH

EDIT: +1 for not going the DIY route

• I'd disagree tho that the powered Kemper sounds bad through a passive CLR, even tho the amp-cab coupling is not optimized. I would not discourage a potential buyer who has already invested in a power amp.
    To clarify, I believe that power Kemper + CLR can sound much better than many other active options of a lesser quality.

Since there are so few FRFR passive cabs around, I'd agree tho that buying a powered Profiler (or using a third-part power amp) is usually done in order to use guitar cabs.

:)

• I'd disagree tho that the powered Kemper sounds bad through a passive CLR, even tho the amp-cab coupling is not optimized. I would not discourage a potential buyer who has already invested in a power amp.
    To clarify, I believe that power Kemper + CLR can sound much better than many other active options of a lesser quality.

Since there are so few FRFR passive cabs around, I'd agree tho that buying a powered Profiler (or using a third-part power amp) is usually done in order to use guitar cabs.

I'm very happy with my Matrix FR212 which is exceptional in sound quality and build. The sound quality is definitely dependent upon the quality of the driver. It's also a matter of EQ. I cannot therefore unequivocally concur with the above analysis regarding the use of the powered Profiler, particularly when the "real cab" function is available. No hard feelings @viabcroce, just an opinion. FWIW... :)

• Gianfranco, I said FRFR is "optimal" when active. I agree that a good passive cab can do a tremendous job.
    I myself initially inquired for a passive FRFR cab as an owner of a power unit, but going through this forum over the pasts months made me move to active (and no more FRFR :pinch: :D)

Freisegler, I recently inquired matrix for a Q12a as it offers active and passive capabilities, matrix answered me that it sounds way better when auto powered than from KPA. anyway what works to you works to you and that's what's important

cheers

• Gianfranco, I said FRFR is "optimal" when active. I agree that a good passive cab can do a tremendous job.

:thumbup:

I was trying to somehow subdue the following:

a powered unit is for playing through a regular cab. you could use a FRFR but that's not originally intended for

I'm very happy with my Matrix FR212 which is exceptional in sound quality and build. The sound quality is definitely dependent upon the quality of the driver. It's also a matter of EQ. I cannot therefore unequivocally concur with the above analysis regarding the use of the powered Profiler

Not sure I'm getting what you don't concur with... would you mind elaborating? :)

• I was trying to somehow subdue the following:

a powered unit is for playing through a regular cab. you could use a FRFR but that's not originally intended for

I'm very happy with my Matrix FR212 which is exceptional in sound quality and build. The sound quality is definitely dependent upon the quality of the driver. It's also a matter of EQ. I cannot therefore unequivocally concur with the above analysis regarding the use of the powered Profiler

Not sure I'm getting what you don't concur with... would you mind elaborating? :)[/quote]

concur = agree. But then I´m no expert... ;)

• All,

Thanks for the rich responses. I use my Kemper 95% for live use. I have not had the guts to go FOH mainly because I need time to set it up and I don't have easy access to a PA ( doing it before a gig is just too risky, given the difference I've initially heard with rigs).

So I guess I was looking for a halfway house, to make use of the powered part of the power rack and not go too heavy on cost - if I sold my current guitar cab which is a mediocre Laney loaded with Celestions, I'd probably get £150 -£200 perhaps. Its a big stretch to £600/£700 and its a bit of an unknown at the moment - I don't know any stockists of CLR's or Matrix cabs to go and even try.

I think I might move to Plan B and focus on trying to get a good FOH as I use IEM's anyway - getting rid of my 4x12 would be a dream come true!!

• Well, many companies offer a good return policy. AA certainly do. 15 days are quite good for experiencing a linear cab, be it at home, at rehearsals, on a stage (maybe when the pub is closed :D )

• 120 dB SPL continuous, 130 peak.
    This is the only meaningful datum. And, with a much wider diffusion angle than a 4x12" and a much more extended frequency response, so the overall energy is even higher.