[solved] First problem with new firmware!

• A simple reboot during a gig can be very ugly!
    I want a unit without any trouble and reboots. So I hope the Kemper team can solve or explain the error!

let me take the chance to fill in so info here:

yes, a simple reboot can be ugly and we do everything in our powers to avoid such a scenario. the screen displayed in those moments helps us to narrow down issues because it contains information on where something went wrong. even though, especially in the earlier days, we were facing those situations with release versions, I can only strongly advise you to exclusively work with release version. we want you to be happy and at the same time we don't want you to complain about stability issues while working with public betas. that's why those are pre-release versions presented in order to get tested by many users. please use 3.3. instead.
    best, gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• let me take the chance to fill in so info here:

yes, a simple reboot can be ugly and we do everything in our powers to avoid such a scenario. the screen displayed in those moments helps us to narrow down issues because it contains information on where something went wrong. even though, especially in the earlier days, we were facing those situations with release versions, I can only strongly advise you to exclusively work with release version. we want you to be happy and at the same time we don't want you to complain about stability issues while working with public betas. that's why those are pre-release versions presented in order to get tested by many users. please use 3.3. instead.
    best, gs

Well, with 3.3 I also had a crash. Sent picture to support, until today nobody could tell me the reason for the crash or measures to avoid future crashes.
    I appretiate your answer, @G String, but it seems that the firmware version (stable or beta) is not always a guarantee not to get a crash!

• Well, with 3.3 I also had a crash. Sent picture to support, until today nobody could tell me the reason for the crash or measures to avoid future crashes.
    I appretiate your answer, @G String, but it seems that the firmware version (stable or beta) is not always a guarantee not to get a crash!

i'm aware of that, please re-read my mail. it is important to emphasis on the fact that a beta version is more likely to cause an issue than a release version. you had a crash with a release version and that's rather rare. the reason why i'm commenting at all is the way you post concerns about stability to a beta firmware thread.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• I started messing with 4.0 on my studio KPA (I'll wait for the release to use on my live performance KPA). I had 3 crashes (didn't take any pics yet, but I will tonight). This was the first time I've ever experienced a crash and every time it happened, the morphing I had saved on my performance banks was gone and everything was back to the prior boot. I also had a crash/reboot where the Crunch profile came up on reboot and I couldn't switch to anything (including tuner), finally it let me shut down and when I rebooted again, Crunch profile was back but I was able to switch to other profiles and to tuner/performance. I'll give it some additional play time tonight and take pics of the error screens. I saw three last night, two different types. Two were the error screen and the other was an effect loading error that asked to "Reboot soon"

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• I started messing with 4.0 on my studio KPA (I'll wait for the release to use on my live performance KPA). I had 3 crashes (didn't take any pics yet, but I will tonight). This was the first time I've ever experienced a crash and every time it happened, the morphing I had saved on my performance banks was gone and everything was back to the prior boot. I also had a crash/reboot where the Crunch profile came up on reboot and I couldn't switch to anything (including tuner), finally it let me shut down and when I rebooted again, Crunch profile was back but I was able to switch to other profiles and to tuner/performance. I'll give it some additional play time tonight and take pics of the error screens. I saw three last night, two different types. Two were the error screen and the other was an effect loading error that asked to "Reboot soon"

So many crashes?
    Even for a beta version, that's too many?!?

Are you also using MIDI to change patches....or are you using the Remote?

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• Are you also using MIDI to change patches....or are you using the Remote?

Remote

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• @richie62:
    Answer of Kemper support:

"Dear stefan,we can reproduce such issues, if MIDI PCs are sent in Performance Mode. This is currently under investuigation!If you know another scenario, please let us know!"

• Renaud, this made me laugh

I imagined you saving a backup and then another one, and another one, and another one...

ahah that looks fun indeed , like a squirrel !! But that's it : 2 backups from the rig manager (all profiles in a subfolder then DB backup) and a KPA backup on USB stick , I then stored these 3 ones on another external USB.

And I'm not especially paranoid ;)

• @richie62:
    Answer of Kemper support:

"Dear stefan,we can reproduce such issues, if MIDI PCs are sent in Performance Mode. This is currently under investuigation!If you know another scenario, please let us know!"

Is this the same problem as in the other thread or are these 2 different problems?
    However, using MIDI PCs in Performance Mode hasn't been a problem for me with the new beta.

• My approach with Kemper betas is as follows: If I have successfully put it to its paces in rehearsals which make for my usual use case, I have no problem and no fear gigging with it as well.
    What I wouldn't do is put ANY new FW on and go to the gig. ;)

That's exactly what I was talking about, Ingolf.

Obviously there's still technically a greater risk than normal (full-release FW), due to unforeseen scenarios (slip of the foot / hand / finger means you push a sequence of things you don't normally do etc.), that might induce crashes where the relevant issues would have already been addressed in the full-release versions. However, if you've tested beta software and repeat only what you did during testing, you'd think you'd be OK. I get that.

Thank you for clarifying; I should have been more specific with my post. When I said, "extenuating circumstances" I was actually imagining a pro who simply must have some feature or other that's only available in beta, a situation probably not too dissimilar to ones you've been in.

Cheers mate.

So many crashes?
    Even for a beta version, that's too many?!?

'Tis a grey picture you're painting, brother.

None of us knows yet what caused drandall's crashes, and whatever it was, the K-Team™ will be all over it like white on rice.

Chillax mate. We'll get there. Your MIDI issue was addressed practically a day after the first FW beta, which is mighty impressive IMHO.

• Just for some positive stuff. Even with all the issues and errors I have had with the 4.0 beta and 4.0.1 beta, the KPA and the Kemper Support Team never cease to amaze me. They reply so fast to all my queries, never getting impatient. Amazing product and amazing service. Massive chops to Kemper for their work!

• Yes, the Midi issue was fixed very fast. Thanks for that!
    But I ask myself how the release of this issue could be "happen",
    because a lot of people testing a firmware before it will be released.
    And so many people had this Midi issue, Kemper should have realized that by testing, or?