Delay in Stomp position

• Is it just me or does the delay completely sound awful in the stomp position ? It doesn't even sound like it is going thru the AMP section. Repeats are clean unless you crank up the mix and then it's unusable!
    Let me know if this is the case with everyone else?
    Thanks

• Sounds like expected. If you have the mix down, the delay signal is weaker and stays clean just like when you roll back volume on your guitar or hit the strings softer.
    With mix at 100% the delays have the same strength as the original notes and sound the same.
    If you use a very high gain amp, even delays with less mix set to a low value are distorted.

Habe you ever tried using a delay pedal in front of a distorted (tube) amp?
    That's how it sounds and that's one of the reasons, why effect loops are used.

• Well back in the day when I did use a pedal in from there was no such thing as mix on a pedal. It was a level out and when dial right sounded great before the loop. Loops were for rack gear when they came into play. So this delay in front is way over the top in volume when the mix is up..sounds like crap. So this having delay in the Stomp is useless.

• Yeah, sounds awful. Just as awful as putting a delay in front of a "real" amp... never liked that :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Well back in the day when I did use a pedal in from there was no such thing as mix on a pedal. It was a level out and when dial right sounded great before the loop. Loops were for rack gear when they came into play. So this delay in front is way over the top in volume when the mix is up..sounds like crap. So this having delay in the Stomp is useless.

Yeah, sounds awful. Just as awful as putting a delay in front of a "real" amp... never liked that :D

I got to fool around with 4.0 this evening. Here is a clip of the advantage of having a delay that can be placed pre- or post-amp. I have one delay ahead of the amp for the clip, I thought it was a pretty cool sound.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Listening with headphones is advised, can't get much out of a computer speaker!

The last part of the clip could probably be done without the stomp in front, I was just fooling around. Use a sound like that with the looper and then solo over the top!

• @nightlight

I like this clip very much.And I kow exactly what you mean with "headphones advised"..

I cant wait the new delays (must admit I am a little bit sad that we have to wait for the new delays till 5.0) to use them in a simliar way you did in the clip.Actually the delay as stomp in front of the pre shines with slightly overdriven dynamic clean sounds.This way you can really "play" the delay and make it part of your right hand dynamics.This is not the same with the delays post the preamp.Ofcourse this does not work with crunch sounds and no way with heavy distorted sounds.The result with these can be only a complete mess.

• So this delay in front is way over the top in volume when the mix is up..sounds like crap.

That's what "mix up" does. It raises the delayvolume. If it's way over the top, you can just lower "mix". "Mix" is like level out.
    Between 0-100% the original signal has full level, delay level increases until it has the same level as the original signal.

Between 100% and 100%(wet) the Delay level stays at maximum (level of the delay input) while the direct signal decreases until it is gone at 100% wet.

• @nightlight

I like this clip very much.And I kow exactly what you mean with "headphones advised"..

I cant wait the new delays (must admit I am a little bit sad that we have to wait for the new delays till 5.0) to use them in a simliar way you did in the clip.Actually the delay as stomp in front of the pre shines with slightly overdriven dynamic clean sounds.This way you can really "play" the delay and make it part of your right hand dynamics.This is not the same with the delays post the preamp.Ofcourse this does not work with crunch sounds and no way with heavy distorted sounds.The result with these can be only a complete mess.

Thank you, Nikos! Haha, I agree, it's like CK tricked us all in the beginning by making us think that there were multiple delays when they could all be boiled down to one! Hopefully 5.0 comes out really fast, but no bets on when that will be.

Yes, I agree, with any crunch, it will be difficult to get good results with a delay in front of the amp because the sound will smear due the gain. I'll try adding some gain to that profile, it's actually a morphed sound from a really heavy amp! I didn't really experiment with changing parameters on amps before 4.0, finding the tones that can be coaxed out of the profiler really excellent!

• Listen I used to use the old Boss Delays and in way does the Mix feature represent the same as a pedal...When you turn the level down everything went down...dry and delay signal...
    Also the delay going into the front of the amp is the exact repeat of what you play and hear so if the sound is distorted on the dry signal then the repeat should be distorted...Very simple!!
    Something is wrong with the delay in Stomp positions...not going into the AMP section like the real deal...Sounds like it has a parralelled signal and when the mix is up it hits the amp and the rest is parralelled to the output section.
    Does that make sense?
    If this is the case all they have to do is put a level on the Delay..keep the mix but add the fact we can turn that shit down!!! LOL

• That's what "mix up" does. It raises the delayvolume. If it's way over the top, you can just lower "mix". "Mix" is like level out. [b]
    Between 0-100% the original signal has full level, delay level increases until it has the same level as the original signal.

Between 100% and 100%(wet) the Delay level stays at maximum (level of the delay input) while the direct signal decreases until it is gone at 100% wet.

• Listen I used to use the old Boss Delays and in way does the Mix feature represent the same as a pedal...When you turn the level down everything went down...dry and delay signal...
    Also the delay going into the front of the amp is the exact repeat of what you play and hear so if the sound is distorted on the dry signal then the repeat should be distorted...Very simple!!
    Something is wrong with the delay in Stomp positions...not going into the AMP section like the real deal...Sounds like it has a parralelled signal and when the mix is up it hits the amp and the rest is parralelled to the output section.
    Does that make sense?
    If this is the case all they have to do is put a level on the Delay..keep the mix but add the fact we can turn that shit down!!! LOL

Like I said before (see the bold text on @sambrox 's post): Mix 100% (Middle position) means: The (first) delay is the exact repeat of what you play. Try it. The delay will sound the same as the original signal.

it's like CK tricked us all in the beginning by making us think that there were multiple delays when they could all be boiled down to one! Hopefully 5.0 comes out really fast, but no bets on when that will be.

To be absolute honest I dont feel "tricked" at all..I said many days ago that it will be not before autumn before we have the "release" of the new delays.And this is perfectly fine with me.I also already expressed my very personal "scepticism" about to announce the new delays to early since I know the "soul of musicians" and their childish behaviour when it comes to new toys..as good ol´Darth would say.."the G.A.S is strong with these ones.." :/

(Yes..this also includes me & myself :whistling: )

• To me a Delay before the amp only makes sense if the amp is not too overdriven.
    But e.g. it's glorious before an AC30 that's on the edge of break-up. Dirty and organic.

+1. I prefer using the delay in front of the amp for specific styles since it gives a much more percussive, in your face, raw delay sound.
    Very different than the more subtle and polite delay sound placed after the amp.
    It's perfect for edge of breakup, light overdriven tones. Rockabilly, punk/surf and similar.

Some examples.

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Dead Kennedys-Police Truck

Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia Guitar Lesson

• I guess I'm the only one who actually likes the sound of delay before a dirty amp I LOVE that old school vintage response...that's all people had before effects loops. And it's glorious lo-fi ear candy!!

The guitarist for my current favorite band, Dungen, runs his echo in front of his Marshall and it's fantastic!