New Kemper - EQ (Main VS Profile) Best Practice Questions

• So I just my new Kemper. YAY. Its a power amp rack model and I'm running it through my home mixer with studio monitors and I also have a Xitone passive 1x12 wedge.

In general I find most of the profiles to lack high end. Im hearing the same thing into my wedge as through the mixer(mixer set flat eq wise), as well my Shure 535 in ears coming out the headphone jack.

At what level should I make the change? I find that by turning the clarity up 3-4 gets me close to what I want to hear. All of Michael Britts profiles are like this for me. They are a little dark. Very scooped and disappear in the mix.

Should I be tweaking the main out EQ instead? Seems like I have to brighten up most profiles for some reason.

Is there a good method to get a good flat baseline EQ on the Kemper?

• Welcome.
    Before you start to tweak at home please check the rigs at gig level.
    You'll be suprised about the Fletcher- Munson effect. It will give you a completely different perspective about 'lack of highs.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

• Before you start to tweak at home please check the rigs at gig level.

+1 for this. Not only does this change how you hear your highs, but even the gain can sound different (in a good way). For many of my rigs, if I play them at bedroom level, they sound too saturated for my tastes (even though I'm the one who dialed the settings in). But when I open it up to my standard gig volume, that same rig sounds amazing!

• @kburks1230
    Pls notice there are studio and live rigs. And notice that some rigs are made live for PA and different cabs sometimes tube, sometimes transistor (better) or FRFR. So there are hugh differences in sound. ;)
    Studio rigs are usually better at home.

• Welcome!!

What kind of music do you play?

Tastes differ. I to found many of his profiles a bit dark for my tastes (it should be noted that not only do tastes differ, they also change over time ;-))

To address your specific question: If you feel this is an issue with all your profiles (and not just on your wedge either), the easy way would be to try the main out EQ first and see if that gets you where you want to be (conversely, this will affect any rigs you already feel sounds like they should).
    If this doesn't do it (and you need to tweak clarity or definition), then you have no choice but to do it for each rig individually.

Hope this answers your question :)

• Welcome and give your ear the chance to get skilled for the Kemper.
    The best way is try and error.
    If you play in a band than try to find the last decision in the bandmix while rehearsal.
    Good luck!

• I find my perception of how a profile sits in the mix changes depending upon a myriad of factors including different venues, indoor/outdoor, song selection, and set 1 vs. set 2, etc., etc.. I'm grappling with how best to deal with this and assume that at some point I'll need to develop at least 2-3 output equalization presets that I can call up on any given occasion.

If you are a gigging musician, my suggestion, especially with some of the 'more appreciated' commercial profiles is to try to 'lock-in' on (insert appropriate number for your particular situation) profile(s) and keep them consistent without change for at least 4-6 gigs so you can hear how your perception of their tone changes dynamically from situation to situation. Then you can really figure out what and where the adjustments need to be made and how.

At least, thats my approach - we'll see if I ever get it to fruition! LOL!

Edit: note that for now I am speaking of my monitor equalization. I have learned to trust the sound guys that I have the privilege of working with but your mileage may vary in that aspect.

• I'm not sure there exists a true baseline eq because everyone monitors using different systems: headphones, FRFR, studio monitors, guitar cabs, different pickups, etc. All I or anyone can do is try to make them sound good on the systems that we are using, so there may be some tweaking needed depending upon your monitoring devices and/or volume (as Ingolf says). The best place I like to start is with the definition parameter in the amp section to "tune" the brightness of the overall profile. If all of the profiles sound bright or dark or scooped, then the monitor or main out eq might be the ticket. I haven't used the Xitone yet, so I'm not sure how it affects the tone. And if you like most aspects of the profile (i.e. gain amount, overall tone) but just need to make tweaks, the eq in the amp stack is very powerful. I seldom have to go more than a couple of lights (if you're using the toaster) to find what I'm looking for. If I have to eq more than that, I'll look for a more compatible profile. Playing at your gig volume is important, though, because high end will seem to get louder quicker as you turn up. There are definitely guidelines, but just like real amps, they are no set-in-stone rules so turn knobs until it sounds good and good luck!

I'm not sure there exists a true baseline eq because everyone monitors using different systems: headphones, FRFR, studio monitors, guitar cabs, different pickups, etc. All I or anyone can do is try to make them sound good on the systems that we are using, so there may be some tweaking needed depending upon your monitoring devices and/or volume (as Ingolf says). The best place I like to start is with the definition parameter in the amp section to "tune" the brightness of the overall profile. If all of the profiles sound bright or dark or scooped, then the monitor or main out eq might be the ticket. I haven't used the Xitone yet, so I'm not sure how it affects the tone. And if you like most aspects of the profile (i.e. gain amount, overall tone) but just need to make tweaks, the eq in the amp stack is very powerful. I seldom have to go more than a couple of lights (if you're using the toaster) to find what I'm looking for. If I have to eq more than that, I'll look for a more compatible profile. Playing at your gig volume is important, though, because high end will seem to get louder quicker as you turn up. There are definitely guidelines, but just like real amps, they are no set-in-stone rules so turn knobs until it sounds good and good luck!

I just bought the TAF custom shop EvilRobot profile yesterday. Pretty much all of the profiles of the amp are too dark for me to get them into a useable range by using the amp stack EQ in combination with clarity alone. Even with clarity up to 10 and treble at 10 I still can't get the heavy wool blanket to come off the amp enough to be in range of the advertising sound clips. Now this is with the Monitor Output EQ completely flat.

If I turn up the Monitor Output EQ Treble +3-4 or so I get what I want. The EQ in the amp stack doesn't seem to have very much range in the treble and mids.

My Guitars
    ES335 with Lollar Imperial in the bridge and El Rayo in the neck
    Telecaster with a Wolfetone Marshalhead in the bridge and Dr. Vintage in the neck
    Gretsch Black Falcon with Filtertrons

• If I turn up the Monitor Output EQ Treble +3-4 or so I get what I want. The EQ in the amp stack doesn't seem to have very much range in the treble and mids.

My Guitars
    ES335 with Lollar Imperial in the bridge and El Rayo in the neck
    Telecaster with a Wolfetone Marshalhead in the bridge and Dr. Vintage in the neck
    Gretsch Black Falcon with Filtertrons

How is your success?

I am also new to the Kemper. I tried just one guitar so far, a Gretsch with black filtertrons. I am just on the free rigs and had great and almost instant success with Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe and Marshall profiles.

I play through my Allen&Heath desk - from there to active JBL EONs - they are carefully setup to be as neutral as can be in my room. I suspect your problems begins right here, your monitors / headphones.

I never lacked treble or bite with the filtertrons, in some cases more the opposite. Which one would expect from a Gretsch ;) Your Tele should also be on this side of the spectrum... When I tested high gain stuff, there was not enough gain and I came across this input distortion sense parameter. My filtertrons needed about +4dB. To come even closer I checked the frequency response of the filtertrons compared to a typical high ouput modern humbucker. I added a graphics EQ into Stomp A and compensated for this. Bingo... sure a Grestch will always be a Gretsch and no SG or Strat, but the basic character of those many profiles was present.

Good luck!

Ne travaillez jamais.