XLR & TRS, one of each - possible?

• Hi. I'm not in front of my home pc atm, hence a short question here:

Can I run the left xlr output along with the right trs output?
    I need a second interface and the new gen scarlett solo does not offer a trs/xlr combo jack.
    Or would it be better to use some kind of adapter and stick to either xlr or trs. If so, will this adapter steal quality from the signal?

Thx & regards
    Alex

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited once, last by Fireloogie ().

• Thank you. I think the problem might be though, that the solo doesn't record two line levels on only one stereo track.

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• The two sets are wired in parallel, so it works. But the balanced line is hotter.

Thanks for answering. Yes, I am aware of that. In the end I think I shouldn't care too much about stereo for my second interface, as the KPA's amp section is mono anyway. As I only use few standard fx with the guitar, plugins will do the job. But it's nevertheless good to know, that the stereo option is there when needed :). Nice day!

• I only use the XLR out, but be aware that the parallel output is TS, not TRS

>> Fireloogie...a short question here: Can I run the left xlr output along with the right trs output?

• I only use the XLR out, but be aware that the parallel output is TS, not TRS

Right, it's mono of course. Thx for pointing that out. Focusrite has answered recently, it all will work the way it's needed. Nice support.

• That's what I meant. No Ring, no stereo. Thx man. ;)

• As Monkey_Man said, no ring, no balance. Stereo has nothing to do with it in this situation. It is balanced vs unbalanced, NOT stereo vs mono

Yes you guys are of course right in this context. Nevertheless the Ring is used when stereo operation is needed, and it's not mono balanced then. Since the KPA has two single mono outs by design, it is obviously not intended to have stereo outs via TRS. That was why what you said above made sense to me. They could have used the ring for mono balanced though, right.

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/f…_MONO_AND_STEREO_TRS.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/swee…etween-ts-and-trs-cables/

• >> Fireloogie...a short question here: Can I run the left xlr output along with the right trs output?

Even I was not asked I try to answer. ;)
    I would say yes, but maybe have different signal strength. If in phase ( in mono) I can not say.
    I believe that they are electronical decoupled and not hard wired parallel.

• Even I was not asked I try to answer.

Gizmo only quoted me, the initial question was mine :) . So yes, after some more research this should work with same levels after proper adjustment :thumbup: .

• Correction: Their support has just stated that they can't guarantee that the Scarlett Solo takes the XLR signal from the KPA without taking damage due to differences in input impedance. So if someone had the same intention, be aware of that.

Edit (to avoid misunderstandings): For mono operation via the instrument/line input the Scarlett Solo will be a good choice of course.

Edited 2 times, last by Fireloogie ().

• Correction: Their support has just stated that they can't guarantee that the Scarlett Solo takes the XLR signal from the KPA without taking damage due to differences in input impedance

As far I've seen now the "scarlett solo" has one Mic input with XLR and one 1/4" input with switch for line/instrument.
    To connect the main of KPA main to the MIC input of scarlett indead can cause a problem.
    Would need very much attention to set the output volume very low .
    I would even dare to use but I do not recommend it. It has not clip-LED ;)

• Exactly, 'Loogie. That's why I said what I said, mate.

Was just my way of thinking since both my Tonelab ST and my little Zoom only provide one single stereo out - therfore TRS. By the way, it is apparently questionable if balanced has any noticable impact on T(R)S jacks among technicians. I can't tell, but would explain the TS decision for the KPA outs...

Cheers, mate 8)

• I’m guessing they were referring to performance in ideal (EM-field-free) environments; there’s no practical difference there.

As you’d well know ‘though, and I’m assuming that this is where you’re coming from, GianfrancBro’, our setups are far from ideal in this regard!

‘Loogie, the difference is that the interference is cancelled out by the fact that it hits two wires in the cable at the same time, one of which is 180º out of phase with the other.

The take-home message for we mere mortals, I think, is to try to keep the cable runs from our KPAs to our desks or interfaces as short as possible, and to, as best we can, clear the immediate area surrounding the leads of transformers and the like.

EDIT: FWIMBW, I'll be using the XLR main outs for monitoring at a (monitoring!) desk, and super-short TS leads from the KPA to an interface a couple of rack spaces below it for recording. IMHO, if you're only travelling a couple of feet to somewhere else in a rack, there'd, theoretically at least, not be a problem. You just might want to ensure that the leads don't rest on other gear's power transformers - look at where their power receptacles are and use the opposite side, for instance.

EDIT 2: Removed a sentence that was factually-incorrect.