Powerhead/passive or unpowered/active

• Thinking of price and performance...
    Is it better to go for an unpowered kemper with active monitors (down the lines of dxr10)?
    Or a powerhead with passive monitors?
    Suggestions and advice welcome
    Trying to figure it all out before I place an order

• Thanks Ingolf ;)
    Is there such a thing as active monitors that are good as studio monitors at low volume, but also loud enough to take one with you for rehearsal and a gig?

• Actually I have an powered (Rack) and I like it for versitality. At home I am using it to my Studio Monitors, some DXR 10s or one of my guitar cabinets. Thinking of a powered Head as a Backup. ;)

Is there such a thing as active monitors that are good as studio monitors at low volume, but also loud enough to take one with you for rehearsal and a gig?

I often use 2 active QSC K8 speakers with my Powerhead. Sound great, for rehearsing at home as well as for monitoring or doing small gigs

• I use two AA's CLRs.
    Linear cabs don't typically suffer from their response depending on the output volume. So just be sure you get something linear, transparent and able to output 120 undistorted dBs... and you're good to go :)

• Thanks.
    So I'm set on getting the unpowered head. For the time being i can use it through an old pair of Samson Resolv 65a studio speakers and a pair of Sennheiser HD580 headphones.
    But I'm sure I'll get the craving for pushing air as I do with my H&K Triamp mk1 through 4x12 cab, but I'll be selling that to partly fund the kemper.
    80% of the time I'll be practising, recording and playing for fun.
    The other 20% will be jamming with friends so would have to hear it while playing next to the hard hitting drummer.

• Thanks viabcroce.
    I'm hoping to sell the amp n cab. That's why I'm looking at an alternative smaller solution.
    There's someone near to me offering a cheap Alto sxm 112a wedge. Would this be a worthy purchase?

• I've got the Powerhead and I love it. I bought it because I was 100% convinced I was going to use my guitar cab with it. but after a couple of months, I bought a passive Matrix FRFR cab. There's no going back to a guitar cab for me now.

Whilst I like the fact I could take my Kemper anywhere and use someone else's cab, I know the sounds I've use won't sound right even with the cab switched off on the Kemper. So even though I am completely happy with my setup, I do believe it comes down to whether you need a guitar cab form monitor. If you're happy to use PA style wedges etc then the answer is definitely passive Kemper, active monitor.

• There's someone near to me offering a cheap Alto sxm 112a wedge. Would this be a worthy purchase?

Some like it, some don't. I've not used one in person.
    FWIW, I'd try and not go cheap with the amp\cab, since you spent a lot on your Profiler. IMO, it's like investing on a 100,000 € Persian carpet and then let the kids eat on it... :evil:

:)

• Thanks viabcroce.
    I'm hoping to sell the amp n cab. That's why I'm looking at an alternative smaller solution.
    There's someone near to me offering a cheap Alto sxm 112a wedge. Would this be a worthy purchase?

I have a powered rack and have been using it with a regular 4 x 12 and really pleased with the sounds. Just making the move to FRFR and bought a passive monitor purely because it was cheaper - with the powered stuff at least you have that option. I also will probably continue to use the studio 4 x 12's for rehearsals, so its more convenient.

I did some head to heads for monitors and the Yamaha DXR 10 sounded the best to me but not enough to warrant buying one over the passive monitor (yet), plus incredibly portable!

I did also try the Alto 112a and initially it sounded good but started to sound harsh at higher volumes/certain frequencies. So my advice, is to try as many out as you can, but Yamaha DXR 10's are a safe bet to me and although more expensive than a regular cab, much cheaper than the Atomic type alternatives...

• Thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll go unpowered playing through studio monitors to begin with. Then look for a dxr10 when I'm after the power.

Side thought: what is the touch response like? Would you be able to tell the difference between the kemper and a tube amp with a blindfold on? That is one big worry that I have. All digital gear I've used in the past has no life in the fingers and truly uninspiring.

• Side thought: what is the touch response like?
    Would you be able to tell the difference between the kemper and a tube amp with a blindfold on? That is one big worry that I have. All digital gear I've used in the past has no life in the fingers and truly uninspiring.

To me the Kemper's touch response is as good as any tube amp I ever played.

• So I have a Powerhead and have been using it with a Bose L1 Model 2 and 4 X 12 Eminence (Jet City) Cab. If I use an Eminence Cab sim, Bose sounds similar. However, I have the electronic drums and the vocals going through the Bose as well, so considering buying a separate FRFR speaker for the Kemper. Reading between the lines on this forum, the more experienced of you seem to be advocating an active FRFR speaker irrespective of whether the Kemper has the power amplifier.

Am I correct?

:thumbup: