RESOLVED!!! A Software Error Occurred see addendum to initial post

• ** ...Being that its the weekend, I didn't expect to hear anything from Kemper Support until next week and since I don't know if I could screw My Kemper up any further I decided to take a leap into a world I usually try my best to avoid. Flash etc..Freaks me out because I don't truly understand it. Since I have a second functional Kemper I decided to go for it.

From a post I located somewhere on the web. I performed the BOLD section then restored a previous back up from a few days ago and IT WORKED!!!!:

"Flash memory erase\updateIf the Profiler’s memory has been messed up by a defective profile\maxed out and the unit doesn’t boot properly any longer, try this ([burkhard]. NOTE: all the rigs will be erased during this procedure):push and hold soft button 1 (top left above display) while switching on the unit into Tuner Mode;keep pushing the button until the Booting Maintenance Mode message appears;in Maintenance mode push Maintenance, Memory, Init Flash, Yes, Ok, and shut down;start Profiler normally, enter your owner name at the end of the welcome sequence, then enter System Menu and push the Factory Rigs button. This will restore the factory rigs.The initialization of the flash memory was only necessary after a bug in 1.0.5 where a memory corruption bug could also mess up the flash memory organization. We've all heard about flash memory failures resulting from too many writes, but the Profiler’s flash can be definitely updated several hundred times. In those cases when a flash memory reset is advisable, and the operation doesn’t bring the expected results, you can try and update it more than once: the firmware flash has several partitions and the update process will try them one after another. Before you do that, turn off the unit by leaving it on and pulling the power cord. Then wait 1 minute. After that, connect the stick, press and hold the Page buttons and turn the unit on.timowas editing some delays. Saved my performances after. suddenly the Kemper freezes".

** I WILL FORWARD MY UPDATE TO SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY ** But still hope they investigate the cause.

*********************_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________*********************

Short version:

Rebooted to find Software error message

Tried holding RIG while booting up. Same
    Tried holding <> while booting from USB. Same

Wiped USB, reformatted from my other Kemper currently running 4.0.6 . Opened on mac, made sure none of the folders had any info. EMPTY. Dragged 4.0.6 KAOS bin onto the drive NOT into the folder

THEN PRESSED <> to boot from thumb drive again. SAME

Opened a Ticket with Kemper just now.

Something went wonky. I was using version 3.??? something with no issues for the last 8 months or whatever it has been. Recently updated to 4.?? but my Kemper didn't like it so went back to 3.???

I have Two Kempers. Kemper 01 is pooched at the moment - Kemper 02 seems fine. I did notice that last upgrade, Kemper 2 had the Pederson stobe tuner Kemper 01 didn't even running on the same update. THAT is where my first issue began. I wiped Kemper 01, copied all files from 02 WITH back up and installed into Kemper 01. Seemed to work fine unitl last night.

So Kemper 02 now runs 4.0.6 with no issues, all backed up on multiple USB drives and on my mac. As soon as I get Kemper 01 fixed, I'll re-install my rigs Of which I only use 5.

Is ANYONE able to offer something in terms of a fix I may have overlooked while I wait for Support to get back to me?

Here is the initial error message before I attempted any resolutions:

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/chester_the_jester/Kemp%2001_zpsafew2tlh.jpg]

When I boot up the Kemper, it appears want to load and I see it going through the usual start up motions. Screen shot:

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/chester_the_jester/Kemp%2002_zpswwftnfcf.jpg]

Followed by this message:

[Blocked Image: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/chester_the_jester/Kemp%2003_zpsnmrpsrs4.jpg]

tia

matty

• Hey Matty, that's shockin' mate.

AFAIK, you've jumped straight to the last-resort measure, that of forcing a FW uptake via USB. Well done.

I believe that there's nothing more you can do without guidance from the support team. If you're able to take a snapshot of the error screen, if it's still appearing, you might want to send that in if it hasn't been requested already. My guess is that this is the only remaining avenue for troubleshooting as there's no other data to go by, and that it can only be interpreted and acted upon by the team.

I'm sure you'll keep us posted, so thank you, and sorry I can't be the bringer of good news, mate.

• Ah yes, BD will look after you.

Well done for sending the pic/s mate; that's your ticket right there... apart from the support ticket, that is.

Funny, I don't know how to post pics or video (PooToob etc.) either!

One thing that does work, although the pic will have to be clicked on in order for folks to see the full size (I'm not even sure about this, but I think this is how it works), is to hit "More Options" below the post / edit window, and choose "Add Attachment" or whatever it's called. It's a very-quick process and provided it's below 1mb in size, it'll work.

Something to try anyway. I find it quite liberating, this adding-attachment thingy; it's all very new to me. LOL

• Ah yes, BD will look after you.

Funny, I don't know how to post pics or video (PooToob etc.) either!

Oh, I just uploaded to my Photobucket account and copied the links into the window that pops up when you click on the Image button in the reply header. Looks like a postcard with little mountains on it. Give it a try.

No word yet, weekend starts in Germany about 9 hours before here in Vancouver BC. LOL

Looking forward to getting it up and running asap. Thank God the band is on a summer break. Otherwise - YIKES!!

• Dang. I've clicked that icon before and nothing happened. I can't believe that it's working now! Thank you Matty!

Yup, that's great timing as far as the band's concerned. You might've copped quite a ribbing from your peers when you revealed that your new baby, what with all the hoopla surrounding it (I assume!), has "let the team down". Wouldn't have gone down too great I imagine.

You never know, someone from the Mothership™ might respond over the weekend. I don't think this is unheard of.

• The procedure as you describe it is outdated and works differently in the current version of the software. However it is not recommended to enter System Maintenance mode without being advised so explicitly by support.

• Here on forum are still many advices from users about resetting KPA. Some of them are maybe totally wrong, so it would be nice if Kemper GmbH write sticky article about many resetting procedures with short explanation.

Thank you very much in advance.

Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
    Laurence J. Peter

• Actually there are only a few reset options available and most of them are described in the trouble shooting section of the reference manual. The ones that are not mentioned there should only be used after contacting support.

• Here on forum are still many advices from users about resetting KPA. Some of them are maybe totally wrong, so it would be nice if Kemper GmbH write sticky article about many resetting procedures with short explanation.

Thank you very much in advance.

I agree, would be nice to have some clear reset procedures clear, contacting support is a good thing and fine when playing at home, but when youre havving problems five minutes before a live gig its nice to know how to do a quick reset

Edited once, last by Dorrus ().

• I agree, would be nice to have some clear reset procedures clear, contacting support is a good thing and fine when playing at home, but when youre havving problems five minutes before a live gig its nice to know how to do a quick reset

a reset is a last resort and it is not necessary in most cases. and resetting the Profiler five minutes before a gig is a bad idea. and frankly, because sitting back and reviewing the changes one made beforehand yields a better result. from what we can see many cure an unexpected behavior with a reset. but this remedy equals taking antibiotics for the wrong reason: it might help but you wipe out your other (user) settings as well.
    of course, if the amp crashes constantly you need a solution but fortunately this happens very, very rarely.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here