Please help me! (surprise... same issue as always... sounding digital and thin and whatever)

• I have a rockcrusher recording. The EQ cab sim stinks but the attenuator is ok. You're not supposed to use a power soak when profiling though. What I did is dial in the tone with the rockcrusher on and turn it off during the profiling process. Just keep in mind that an attenuated tones frequency response is way different than the natural tone. With each stage of the rockcrusher it's smoothing out the frequency response. Meaning you're losing highs and lows.

• Hi,

DI from You. :D Profile refined with DI. Reamped via Kemper and spdif. Real Ubershall also reamped via Kemper in Profiler Mode (works then like a reampbox).

Signal Chain: Bogner Ubershall Rev. Blue > Bogner OS 212 [V30/G12T-75] > Sm57/PR20/AT4040

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

Edited once, last by sinmix ().

• The real amp and profile sounds TOTALLY different :|

The profile has a lot less treble

I would say tho that the profile sounds a bit better to my ears than the real one but still... Aren't Kemper profiles supposed to be near-exact replicas of the real thing? If so, then I dont think this particular profile really succeeded.

Here is my reamp

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe it's just the profile I have no idea anymore... :(

• I have a rockcrusher recording. The EQ cab sim stinks but the attenuator is ok. You're not supposed to use a power soak when profiling though. What I did is dial in the tone with the rockcrusher on and turn it off during the profiling process. Just keep in mind that an attenuated tones frequency response is way different than the natural tone. With each stage of the rockcrusher it's smoothing out the frequency response. Meaning you're losing highs and lows.

But... The rockcrusher has a "high" and "low" boost, buttons or something , right? What I know of, at least.

• There are edge and warm buttons on the rock crusher recording I have. If you are picky about your tone (as it sounds like you are) those buttons are useless. The higher you attenuate the amp, the more the rock crusher is absorbing the signal. From my experience A B maybe C do not need the buttons activated. As the impedance curve does not sound that squashed. Once you hit D E and Studio your tone gets thinner and dull. Hence those buttons on the unit. Think about it, they know that the unit kills the tone and added buttons that boost certain frequencies.

• I reamped with my real 5150 but now it's back to Kemper again! :love:
    And it's not thin and harsch at all.
    It's a TAF - Van \m/ Halen profile coupled with a cab from a SinMix Mesa profile.

I think my issue being I tend to like trebly profiles, or tweak excisting into way trebly and thats what ruins it for me
    It's not Kempers fault, it's my ears :love: I have to bias my ears to not go for full out treble and bassless sounds.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I reamped with my real 5150 but now it's back to Kemper again! :love:
    And it's not thin and harsch at all.
    It's a TAF - Van \m/ Halen profile coupled with a cab from a SinMix Mesa profile.

I think my issue being I tend to like trebly profiles, or tweak excisting into way trebly and thats what ruins it for me
    It's not Kempers fault, it's my ears :love: I have to bias my ears to not go for full out treble and bassless sounds.

External Content www.youtube.com

Heh heh heh... It's a constantly evolving process :) Been there myself (thankfully, I usually realize I am the issue, no the Kemper)

• Thanks!

Yeah, obviously this is just my own fault; I mean, sure, I have a decent ear for music but I'm still learning, and I tend to overdo certain things:

I like 80s downtuned reverby snares, but I remember when I started mixing those; too much reverb, NO mid-range at all, too much bass and treble... those mixes sounds terrible to me now, haha. I've learned a lot since then so I can do it better.

This song is however not an example of exactly that, even tho it's still kind of reverby, and stuff.

• I think my issue being I tend to like trebly profiles, or tweak excisting into way trebly and thats what ruins it for me
    It's not Kempers fault, it's my ears I have to bias my ears to not go for full out treble and bassless sounds.

I've been so tempted to suggest this from the outset, Cederick, but, not being in your shoes, and not wanting to cause possible offence, I held back.

When you showed reluctance to dial the Definition back, I figured, "Well, you must just like thinner, more-scratchy and trebly sounds", but this created a dilemma for me 'cause it was the "harshness" that you wanted to rid yourself of. Catch 22. IMHO, with Definition settings consistently approaching 10, you're asking for "trouble".

All I can say is that I'm stoked for you, mate. Well done!

• I've been so tempted to suggest this from the outset, Cederick, but, not being in your shoes, and not wanting to cause possible offence, I held back.

When you showed reluctance to dial the Definition back, I figured, "Well, you must just like thinner, more-scratchy and trebly sounds", but this created a dilemma for me 'cause it was the "harshness" that you wanted to rid yourself of. Catch 22. IMHO, with Definition settings consistently approaching 10, you're asking for "trouble".

All I can say is that I'm stoked for you, mate. Well done!

I understand, I can be ridicolously stubborn and be hard to take any outside suggestions sometimes haha :rolleyes:

Can be a product of being a "one-man operation" in many cases... Blazon Stone above for example is basically just me recording playing all instruments (guitars, bass drums) and having a session singer. I've done several other similar one-man projects where I just do everything myself.

And yeah, I was obsessed about having my guitar sound as ridicously tight, sharp and precise as possible, which is cool in one way, but it often doesn't work in a mix because it just competes with the cymbals and other high-end stuff :wacko:

• Greetings.

To be honest.. really honest, I just think you are in denial personally. - you produce great work, and think you are just doubting yourself.- we all do it when we are trying to produce something excellent. but the thing you really should be more concerned about is knowing when to STOP!. - then move on, else you end up rinsing and repeating until it starts to get worse..

be happy fella, and move on already... : )

I mean this post in a good way, not a criticism or a bashful post. - just wanted to add that!