A consideration about expression pedals

• Isn't it weird that an expression pedal can cost up to €150+? It's just a pedal with a pot anyway.... I think that's the most overpriced kind of pedal on the market. Do you agree or is it just me?
    I'm seriously considering building one myself using a broken wah to see how much I end up spending...

• Isn't it weird that an expression pedal can cost up to €150+? It's just a pedal with a pot anyway.... I think that's the most overpriced kind of pedal on the market. Do you agree or is it just me?

I agree in general. Only in a longtime evaluation we'll see If the expensive ones are more sturdy than the cheap ones.
    All I know is I had to send in one of my expensive Dunlop DVP 3's in for repair already (under warranty).

• Brother, you can sing that!!! Stamped steel, pot's, caps and resistors!! I say have a blast, you might come up with some killer Frankinpedal you'll love!! When we were kids in the wagon train era, my buddy and I took an old Fuzz pedal that didn't work, apart and started experimenting with different resistors and caps until we ended up with a pedal that was miles away from a fuzz pedal, but had a wild range of tones once we added a long sweep pot in the mix. Go Crazy!!!

• I had to send in one of my expensive Dunlop DVP 3's in for repair already

For real? I have 2 of them, no issues at all... 'yet.'

A very nice pedal I use with my synth is the Yamaha FC7 and it's only $50 USD @Soloist74. It has a larger sweep, but is built like a tank.

Gary ô¿ô

• 150E you say? Recently I have bought two Proel GF16L pedals. Each at the price tag of 22Euro. I tried it before I made a purchase. Having not used expression pedals in past, I hooked this cheapest of cheapest plastic thing to Kemper. It has calibrated, works as WAH, Volume pedal, morph. Will it live long? I have no idea. It's under warranty. Does it look nice? Well it's not a girl, it's a thing to step on.

When I opened it and saw nothing inside I think 22E was good price So I bought an expression pedal - Proel GF16L review (with pictures)

I will report if it breaks or stops working.

• I wouldn't really recommend the Roland EV-5. It's lightweight plastic, not very durable, hard to keep stationary. Just my humble...For a few bucks more the FC7 is much more solid.

Gary ô¿ô

• Agreed.
    I had one of the most populars and expensive expression pedals and I still have one of the smallest and pretty expensive (even if no as the first) expression pedals in the market.
    Sold the first one and will be selling the second one.
    Now my way to go are Zoom FP02M.
    Metal made, lightweight and size matched with the remote.
    €37 for each one.

• One thing I have noticed is that if your pot, whether from a recycled wah or something else, does not move through the full sweep range of its mechanical limits you will have to recalibrate EVERY time you connect or disconnect the device. What I perceive as a flaw in the KPA but Kemper tell me is an intentional design is that the KPA does not store the calibrated values for such devices and is constantly in calibrate mode whether it appears so on that page or not. I have requested this from Kemper but they indicate that this is how it will remain.
    3.3 demo here but also applicable on 4.06

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 150E you say?

No, I say up to €150+. :D Just check out the price of any Mission Engineering pedal to know what I mean.

Recently I have bought two Proel GF16L pedals. Each at the price tag of 22Euro.

I'm aware of the cheaper options. Honestly I'd prefer something a bit more rugged, plus the attached cable is a show stopper for me, mainly because I need a twisted cable to make it work correctly with my Rocktron All Access (which also has no calibration, so it's very specific about the pot range), but also because a fixed length cable it's not the best option if you want to embed it in a pedalboard.

• I wouldn't really recommend the Roland EV-5. It's lightweight plastic, not very durable, hard to keep stationary. Just my humble...

I agree. Tried one once, feels like a toy.

For a few bucks more the FC7 is much more solid.

With that long excursion it's probably good to control volume or pitch, don't think it would feel comfortable as a wah. Anyway the attached cable rules it out for me.
    On another pedalboard I have two Boss FV-500. Those things are built like a tank. Got them for 50 bucks each used.

• I have one of these Zoom FP02M , it a good pedal but it's very small compared to the big yamaha FC7 and lt looks less sturdier.

the course on the FP02M is also quite short and fast , which is not an issue for wah but it's a different action than the FC7 (which is more precise and a bit more slow due to it's weight)

I keep the FP02M in my kemper bag, for travelling.

I can recommend the FC7. the only issue I fount on this one is that it's pretty high , a bit more uncomfortable than the FP02M

• @waraba, i have the same opinions about the FP02M. Consider that my foot is 43 (eu size) so it feels just right.
    Imho it is simply great for the , while I'd love to have a bit "harder" sweep for the volume.
    i'll find a way to mod it a bit ;)

• The large sweep of the FC7 IS a problem with wah, great for volume or morph. I prefer my Dunlops though over priced indeed. The Hex suggested by @michaelmellner looks good on paper and is cheaper. If I need another I might go that way. The Boss's are huge, too big for my rig.

Gary ô¿ô

• A large sweep pedal can work for wah, too. I program mine to have my main wah sound during the part of the sweep I typically use for wah. Above and below the "normal" wah range are two other useable wah ranges (with different sounds than the main range).

Sounds like you need a very precise foot for that. :D