DI & re-amp question

• Hey!

I've read a few guides, but I can't seem to figure out how to record the main out and DI simultaneously, so I need someones help...
    My setup is Kemper -> Line6 UX1 -> Cubase 5, using all analog cables. Is it possible to record two signals with this interface? Or should I get one that has SPDIF inputs? Or is it possible but should I get a different one anyways cause the UX1 sucks?
    Help is appreciated!

• Hey!

I've read a few guides, but I can't seem to figure out how to record the main out and DI simultaneously, so I need someones help...
    My setup is Kemper -> Line6 UX1 -> Cubase 5, using all analog cables. Is it possible to record two signals with this interface? Or should I get one that has SPDIF inputs? Or is it possible but should I get a different one anyways cause the UX1 sucks?
    Help is appreciated!

Main output jack to line input 1 jack input.
    Direct output jack to Line input 2 jack input.

• @kizzer Thanks! I've got that set up, with the monitor jack to stereo monitor input. Still not working for me, could you help me through the Cubase input settings?

I'm not sure about Cubase settings as I am a Pro Tools user, but the theory should be the same. Check your i/o settings within Cubase, there will be a menu to do this, and make sure you route the correct input to the correct track. If in doubt search youtube for a cubase routing video, I'm sure you'll find one.

I'm only going by a picture of the UX1 on google, but it looks like its only a 2 mono or 1 stereo input device, so if your taking an output from the Kemper to the stereo input jack that takes up 2 inputs meaning you can only record the main output or the direct output. Instead, use 2 leads and route it like this:

Kemper Main Output Left jack > UX1 Line input 1L > Cubase track 1
    Kemper Direct Output jack > UX1 Line input 2R > Cubase track 2

• Also, you may have to set the Direct Output's signal (in the Output Settings menu - hold the Output button for a second or two) to "Studio" or whatever it is. If it's set to "Analogue", you'll be passing the straight guitar-level signal to your interface, which may not be able to accommodate it.

Some interfaces (and desks) have an "instrument input" option, usually brought about by pressing a button with a guitar symbol on it, that sets the associated input to be able to accept the very-low level of direct guitar. If your interface doesn't have this option, set the Kemper's Direct Output level as I indicated.

Welcome, Merijn! I get it, BTW - Mary Jane. LOL

• I'm not sure about Cubase settings as I am a Pro Tools user, but the theory should be the same. Check your i/o settings within Cubase, there will be a menu to do this, and make sure you route the correct input to the correct track. If in doubt search youtube for a cubase routing video, I'm sure you'll find one.

I'm only going by a picture of the UX1 on google, but it looks like its only a 2 mono or 1 stereo input device, so if your taking an output from the Kemper to the stereo input jack that takes up 2 inputs meaning you can only record the main output or the direct output. Instead, use 2 leads and route it like this:

Kemper Main Output Left jack > UX1 Line input 1L > Cubase track 1
    Kemper Direct Output jack > UX1 Line input 2R > Cubase track 2

Thanks a lot for explaining! This worked, now able to record the two. :):) Time to dive into re-amping

Haha, nice! Never saw that one before. It's my real name though ;)

Thanks for the heads up about the 'studio' setting, it was on analog by default.