Back again - and some rack newbie questions

• Hi folks,

I previously has the unpowered head and used it at home for practice, really loved the sound and feel but stupidly sold it because I thought it was overkill for my beginner needs. Of course I immediately regretted it and decided I can have nice things after all, even if I'm just a home noodler, so I'm picking up a new one tomorrow.

This time I think the rack model would suit me better because I don't play out and it will help me tidy up a whole mess of cables and I can have the rack unit high enough to see and tweak, whilst also having somewhere to put more rack units in the future if needed. I'll probably also get a rack mixer to easily listen to backing tracks without using up the FX loop inputs on the back of the Kemper, and maybe an audio interface later on.

I'm thinking if I get a nice solid-wood rack it will look like a piece of furniture and the wife won't notice :)
    Thinking of one of these http://www.mixingtable.com/19-racks

Before I do that I have a few questions for anyone with rack experience, as I have never used or bought one before:

1) Weight - seems like a lot of rack gear is very light, but things like the Kemper rack are a lot heavier. Are the front rack screws really enough to take all that weight alone, or do I need some extra rails or something inside the rack itself to support the rear of the Kemper rack unit?

2) I thought it might be handy if possible to bring some of the Kemper rear inputs into a front rack panel, I have seen some pre-cut panels but not sure where or what type of sockets I would need to put into the pre-cut holes. Can anyone point me to some parts to extend USB and audio sockets into a front rack panel?

Thanks for the help folks,

Charlie

• I have a Kemper rack and it's been fine in my rack case for two years. The USB input is already on the front of the Kemper rack.

You could get a rack patch bay, they should have inputs on both front and back.

• Thanks for the answers, puts my mind at rest about the weight anyway.

Had a slight hiccup when picking up the Kemper rack yesterday, the new rack unit I was collecting turned out to be a customer return and it already had a few marks on it, so I said I preferred a new one, they only had a rack+remote bundle available but they offered me a good deal on it so I went for it. It will be cheaper than ordering the remote separately from Kemper anyway.

We opened it in the shop just to check it over before I took it home and a bunch of the coloured LEDs along the top had cracks in them. Probably just a cosmetic issue, but I wasn't happy seeing that in a brand new unit and passed on it.

They have another new one coming in this week, so we'll see what shape that arrives in.