Recorded Kempertracks sounding bad - help!

• Hey together,

i have a problem with my recording sound.. it just sounds crappy, thin, (digital!?). i am trying since 3 days to get it, but it doesnt work.
    The sound when i am playing is so nice, tight, organic. Recorded it just sounds like 45% of it..

Do you have any ideas?

Here some information:
    Routing: Kemper Mainouts -> Scarlett 2i4 -> PC -> Cubase 8.5 - I am recording every take on 2 Tracks to get the Sound of both sides. i am always recording 2 or 4 takes and split them 100% LR

Here a Soundfile:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9r5…e5nk1/Kempertest.wav?dl=0

And 2 Pictures attached

If i´ve forgotten something, just tell me..!

Michael

• why are you using one TRS and one TS cable? The TS outs of the Profiler deliver an unbalanced signal.
    I would suggest you use two good quality TS cables to connect the Profilers main outs to the interface.

• Sounds like the phase is pretty messed up, it might be the cabling (probably phase out caused by mixing unbalanced and balanced) or some faulty output jack on the kemper. Have you checked with different cables?

• Thanks guys for the answers so far, I will try after work!

To be honest, i wasn't thinking about the cables and don't know much about that - but i will try that out!
    Before I buy new cables i´ll gonna "mix" your ideas - Mainout set to Mono with only a TS Cable.

PS. Shouldn't sound the non recorded / livemonitored sound like this too, when its the cable?

..Hope it works.. I let you know!

Edited once, last by kerazy ().

• That's sounding amazing already! Is it a factory preset?

• That's sounding amazing already! Is it a factory preset?

I´m happy to hear that! I stopped it yesterday to get my ears a break, i will hear it after work again!

The Profiles name you hear is called "Menace" with a Ownhammer - Heavy hitters Cabinet (bought it last days, its really nice!
    I love that sound!

Do you own the heavy hitters?

• I'm not sure the sound is hugely different from clip 1 to clip 2. The second is a key up and louder, so that influences the opinion. The main difference for me is you play the second time with much better tuning. These kind of profiles will always sound a little thin on their own and then improve a lot in the mix when bass and drums are added.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• PS. Shouldn't sound the non recorded / livemonitored sound like this too, when its the cable?

In my experience the cause for this kind or problems almost always has to do with a loud signal being clipped somwhere in the signal chain. If the monitored sound is good then levels are good up to that point. If the monitor sound comes direct from your profiler, then the cause could be either cables or clipping in the 2i4. If you take monitor sound from the 2i4, then clipping has to occur later, which probably would mean in the recording software. Clipping in the audio-interface and/or in a DAW should light up some indicators.

Does the 2i4 auto-sense TS vs TRS? If it does it could be expecting a much weaker TS-signal, like from a directly connected guitar, as the connected KPA's output is TS while the KPA deliver line-level. I've seen autosensing interfaces make such mistakes before and if you can't override and lock the input to accept line level you are left with lowering the KPA output until you reach a level the audio-interface can handle. The same thing happens with some audio-interfaces if you use XLR and the audio-interface is designed to assume that XLR is synonymous with a mic-level signal. The profiler should have had switches for the main output to force the signal to line-level or mic/instrument-level depending on what equipment you connect to. It is possible to work around the problem by adjusting the output level, but I think physical switches would have eliminated much of the confusion.

• In my experience the cause for this kind or problems almost always has to do with a loud signal being clipped somwhere in the signal chain. If the monitored sound is good then levels are good up to that point. If the monitor sound comes direct from your profiler, then the cause could be either cables or clipping in the 2i4. If you take monitor sound from the 2i4, then clipping has to occur later, which probably would mean in the recording software. Clipping in the audio-interface and/or in a DAW should light up some indicators.
    Does the 2i4 auto-sense TS vs TRS? If it does it could be expecting a much weaker TS-signal, like from a directly connected guitar, as the connected KPA's output is TS while the KPA deliver line-level. I've seen autosensing interfaces make such mistakes before and if you can't override and lock the input to accept line level you are left with lowering the KPA output until you reach a level the audio-interface can handle. The same thing happens with some audio-interfaces if you use XLR and the audio-interface is designed to assume that XLR is synonymous with a mic-level signal. The profiler should have had switches for the main output to force the signal to line-level or mic/instrument-level depending on what equipment you connect to. It is possible to work around the problem by adjusting the output level, but I think physical switches would have eliminated much of the confusion.

I've noticed this, and was wondering if the S/N ratio changes when you lower the Output signal of the Kemper, or is the S/N ratio constant no matter how low you set the Output level? Obviously I'm not gonna set the Output level of the Kemper extremely low, since that would introduce noise from the preamps if they are being pushed farther than they should. I simply would like to understand what Output level would yield the best S/N ratio when recording the Kemper into a preamp/audio interface.

Thanks!

• Thank you guys for all the answers and help!

Finally, I found the problem! It was Cubase, i must have chenged a setting. Dont ask me what..
    Anyway - i've started a new project and tried to recorded something, everything was fine.

Such a simple mistake..

Made a completly new template, no i can work:)

I will upload a mix tomorrow!

• It wasn't clipping, it was something else. I don't know exactly what.. maybe i´ve changed something while working or so.. after these 4 days of trying I am not motivated to search the problem - especially when its working now.

• Yea I understood why you asked.. :)

So for all those people who are reading this, the first thing you should try:
    - open up a complete new project
    - just add 2 tracks for the guitar tracking

...if it works, the problem is in your DAW - ..do not start like me checking out at the Kemper / Cables / Guitar etc...

Thanks for the replies anyway!