Computer editor (new user, old dead horse)

• I'm a new Kemper owner and I've seen that this thread has come up numerous times in my research. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse to death here, however, recent developments with the PositiveGrid Bias Head should make this a serious thing for Kemper to consider.

The Bias Head also does tone matching, and while not exactly like Kemper, it's in the same ballpark and probably attractive enough to many players (and more affordable). The modeling I've heard is very good, but a big selling point and temptation for me and other consumers is the editor. Seems like Bias is definitely gunning for a sort of between Axe-FX and Kemper market featuring a bit of both with a more advanced editing interface. I should also mention that for some time I used a POD XT Live and the editor was a HUGE help to me and became quite reliant on it. When you have a device with so many options, it's way easier to click around instead of having to scroll buttons over hundreds of options and look at a small screen. The fact that Kemper doesn't offer this where lesser devices do is puzzling and from what I've seen it's been something discussed for years.

In past threads I've read responses from older users that talk about how its layout is very easy and an editor is not required. I'm somewhat in agreement, somewhat not. While I will say that the options are laid out in a way that makes sense and is much easier to use than an Axe-FX, I'm also not the kind of person that wants to spend hours or days reading a manual to understand each nuance. I'm learning (and I think it's worth it for the end result), but for a lay-person like me that gets the Kemper because we love the tones you get from it and escapes needing to amass endless valve amps, yet we aren't technically savvy, an editor would be a tremendous asset and could help you grasp all the options in an immediate, intuitive way. Right now I have to scroll from one end to another through hundreds of profiles instead of being able to click a dropdown menu, or better yet sort by type or user.

Perhaps this is just another example to Kemper that they are getting lots of new users, and those users are navigating from a world where computer editors are often used. The way I see it, Kemper and its longstanding users shouldn't be happy saying "we made our device easy to navigate, get used to it or go elsewhere", but should rather seek to be as appealing and inclusive as possible. Plus, for how much these cost, it's an utter shock that it wasn't one of the first options offered.

But like I said, I'm probably beating a dead horse and will inspire the collective eye rolls of the Kemper team and those who have seen this thread before.

Love, love, love my new Kemper by the way. I'll still use it and sing its well-earned praises to other players without an editor, but I can dream, can't I?

Dylan

• About the first. Kemper does not tone match. THe others do (axe FX has a tone match). Tone matching is applying an EQ curve to an existing preset, etc. Not what the KPA does. This is why the kemper beats the others for tone and feel and touch, imho.

On the 2nd, why? Why are you not using Rig Manager to not do what your doing?

• I know it's different than the Kemper, but the point is that it's in the same ball park enough that along with its other features makes it appealing.

Rig manager doesn't allow you to tweak settings, effects, or allow you to assign stomp boxes, etc. It's helpful scrolling through rigs, but that's about it. Kemper offers a lot more that the Rig Manager just doesn't do and that other editors do rather easily and intuitively.

• ...and I should also add that I've seen in other forums comparing products along with the Kemper that when somebody mentions the Kemper has no editor, there's almost an audible gasp. Kemper's still worth it without an editor, but it begs the question of why that's necessary.

• If the Kemper team comes out with an editor just to never hear about it again, I can live with that. ;)

• I know it's different than the Kemper, but the point is that it's in the same ball park enough that along with its other features makes it appealing.

Rig manager doesn't allow you to tweak settings, effects, or allow you to assign stomp boxes, etc. It's helpful scrolling through rigs, but that's about it. Kemper offers a lot more that the Rig Manager just doesn't do and that other editors do rather easily and intuitively.

Just try to stamp out when folks equate the Kemper with tone matching. Cause its not.

I mentioned Rig Manager, because, your OP, what yo wrote sounded like you were paging through profiles on the KPA in browse mode. No need to do that.

• With the new software, a delay has already 6(!!!!) pages with parameters, an editor is extremely overdue.
    Noone can really keep track of all the different settings in system, input, output, rig section + all stomp boxes...

I really wish, Kemper will stop developing fancy stuff Noone needs and concentrate on the important things: less bugs, editor, spring reverb

Noone needs a quad rhythm crystal analog stereo tab delay, which reverses and is frequency cutted. And noone will morph this to a similar called delay with other parameters. Will anyone?

I am guitarist. I don't know what stereo is. I love the nice simulation of good amps. that is what Kemper is good in.

• I mentioned Rig Manager, because, your OP, what yo wrote sounded like you were paging through profiles on the KPA in browse mode. No need to do that.

You're right in that my example could be accomplished with the rig manager, which was shortsighted of me. While the Rig Manager is great for managing the profiles on and off your Kemper, it doesn't make much of a difference if you're scrolling through for sounds already on your Kemper. For that, there's not much difference than just doing it right on the physical unit without hooking it up, which was what I failed to articulate.

Welcome, Dylan!

I've a strong feeling the team has been working on one for a while.

Thanks, Monkey_Man. I have no doubt the team is aware from what I've read here before, just adding another new voice since I'm sure the team values input from new users with different experiences, even if somewhat redundant. Being that I've not seen any update or announcement on a plan for an editor, I thought to add some fuel to the fire.

• You're right in that my example could be accomplished with the rig manager, which was shortsighted of me. While the Rig Manager is great for managing the profiles on and off your Kemper, it doesn't make much of a difference if you're scrolling through for sounds already on your Kemper.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to scroll through the profiles on the Kemper using the front panel when you can use Rig Manager? I do adjust parameters using the front panel (because I have to) but that's independent of my using Rig Manager to scroll through and select stored profiles.

• How do you know about this guy you name 'noone'?
    While I appreciate your personal opinion I don't think you can, or should, speak for anybody else's preferences.

• Sure, you are right. It's probably not noone.
    And also I cannot know this, but I am sure, more people will use an editor than morphing a quad rhythm delay from reversed frequency cutted to forward boosted 1/8th

But yes, you are right, this in only an assumption

• Sure, you are right. It's probably not noone.
    And also I cannot know this, but I am sure, more people will use an editor than morphing a quad rhythm delay from reversed frequency cutted to forward boosted 1/8th

But yes, you are right, this in only an assumption

Hey it's all good. ;)
    I imagine that all the threads demanding an editor will finally lead to
    an editor. ;)

At least I hope so.

• Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you need to scroll through the profiles on the Kemper using the front panel when you can use Rig Manager? I do adjust parameters using the front panel (because I have to) but that's independent of my using Rig Manager to scroll through and select stored profiles.

Rig Manager is fine for selecting profiles, but it's not infinitely different than just scrolling on the unit itself. I find it very useful for importing, exporting, and deleting profiles on the Kemper, but for the sole purpose of simply selecting a rig instead of scrolling, I wouldn't call it a world of improvement.

Let's hope. CPHfx makes a good point though about the increased options and need for the lay-guitarist (like myself) to have a simple editor even if he's wrong that nobody finds the new effects useful. I have a feeling we're both pretty similar in being more meat-and-potatoes with our playing and setup where the million options give us paralysis.

• Rig Manager is fine for selecting profiles, but it's not infinitely different than just scrolling on the unit itself. I find it very useful for importing, exporting, and deleting profiles on the Kemper, but for the sole purpose of simply selecting a rig instead of scrolling, I wouldn't call it a world of improvement.

While it's not on par with an editor, my Kemper isn't within arms reach so it saves me from having to continually lean out of my chair and twirl the browse knob every time I want to change a preset. Likewise, Rig Manager makes it convenient to audition profiles stored on my PC where I'd otherwise have to transfer them to the KPA.