Recently purchased used Kemper profiler

• Hello,
    I am new to a recently purchased used powered head (less than a year old). After listening to many youtube reviews and commercially made profiles, I was blown away by the authenticity of what I was hearing and had to have one. I bought a slightly used head locally and brought it home excited to dig in. I do realize that the profiler is meant to sound like a recorded amp, or a mic'ed amp running through a moniter. My issue is that all of the profiles (former owner added lots of professionally made ones) I've gone through, to my ears, sound thin and "digital". Nothing like what I was expecting ?( . I know that is poor description, but I am wondering what I can do or undo to help it sound more like I believe it was meant to. I am running it through a marshall 4x12. Please take it easy on a noob,

• Hello,
    I am new to a recently purchased used powered head (less than a year old). After listening to many youtube reviews and commercially made profiles, I was blown away by the authenticity of what I was hearing and had to have one. I bought a slightly used head locally and brought it home excited to dig in. I do realize that the profiler is meant to sound like a recorded amp, or a mic'ed amp running through a moniter. My issue is that all of the profiles (former owner added lots of professionally made ones) I've gone through, to my ears, sound thin and "digital". Nothing like what I was expecting ?( . I know that is poor description, but I am wondering what I can do or undo to help it sound more like I believe it was meant to. I am running it through a marshall 4x12. Please take it easy on a noob,

Were you listening to the YouTube videos that you were impressed with through your Marshall 4x12?

• I found out very quickly that just because someone has started a business and sold their profiles it does not mean they did a good job. IMHO most do a terrible job.

Michael Britt IMO is the king of profiles.

• I've tried it with the cabin Sims on and off. There were several Andertons videos where they profiled through a marshall 4x12 and played it back through same cab. Sounded good to me. I have tons of m. britt, top jimi, amp factory profiles. Some definitely sounds better than others but none great.

• I do have no experience with the Kemper in front of a real guitar cabinet.

But: with my trusted FRFR in a treated room and just the factory profiles I had instant success. After adjusting the input and the noise gate it went awsome.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• More often than not I reduce the treble more or less on profiles when used through my cabinet. Or presence, or both. If you find that all profiles sound edgy through your cabinet, you may use the EQ on Monitor Out instead.

• Thank you for the replies. Added some bass in the output section and that helped a little. I notice it more with the "gainy" profiles. Almost sounds like its in a can or something. I'm not great at describing it but I know what I'm hearing. Reminds me of my past experiences with low end processors. The more effects I add the worse it gets. Have since tried it with 2 other amp cabs with same results. Am going to bring it along to practice and try it through the p.a speakers. I really want to like this thing!

• Have you tried through headphones yet? Lots of posts on here from new owners claiming the same thing when they first start out. Factory reset maybe in order also, just to start from scratch since you might not know what the original owner was routing through and to. Patience, the sound you seek is definitely in there.

• Thank you for the replies. Added some bass in the output section and that helped a little. I notice it more with the "gainy" profiles. Almost sounds like its in a can or something. I'm not great at describing it but I know what I'm hearing. Reminds me of my past experiences with low end processors. The more effects I add the worse it gets. Have since tried it with 2 other amp cabs with same results. Am going to bring it along to practice and try it through the p.a speakers. I really want to like this thing!

Turn off all the effects and focus on getting the amp block part sorted out, once you get over that hump things are much easier to deal with.

• If all else fails, factory reset.

Yep. However, I would first try to simply reintialize the factory default settings...especially since you have purchased your Kemper as a used piece of equipment. The previous (owner) could have messed with any number of different Output settings, which may be negatively affecting your KPA experience.

Note -- Reinitallizing the KPA's Output settings is not the same as a complete Factory Reset, and you will not lose any stored or modified Rigs/Profiles. That is why I recommend you try this method, first...before going with the nuclear option.

From page 175 of the most recent Reference Manual:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Unexpected behavior
    In case any inputs or outputs don’t operate as you would expect, or you experience any other unpredicted behavior,
    the soft button “Init Globals” in the System Settings will reset most global parameters in the System Settings and
    Output Section as well as all Lockings to their default state. This way, you are always able to recover a defined state
    of settings. Your stored Rigs, Presets, Performances, and Slots won’t be impacted by this reset.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
    John

• a 4x12 cab is not perhaps the best thing at home volume, 4x12's are designed to be really pushed before the sound becomes pure. - 4x12's also cover a lot of resonance that can interrupt the original tone, and also some cabs ,are just frighteningly bad sound wise.

The end of the day, your guitar tone will always only be as good as your speaker outputs. this is where it matters, so its finding the right combination to express the correct sound, and I would start here. getting the right speakers. perhaps try FRFR speakers and see where you go from there.

Record a few phrases into your computer and see if you like the sound, audition with headphones etc. - process of elimination.

And do people still use 4x12's these days ? : )

• Sounds way worse with head phones. Did reinitialize output settings. Everything just got a few dB louder. Am going to try some flat response speakers, hopefully that'll do the trick.