Building performances in Rig Manager and overwriting slots

• Hey fellow Kemper lovers. I've had mine for over a year and have been too lazy to learn how to use it properly. I am trying to build performances with Rig Manger, but it never seems to save right. When I step off of the performance and go back, the rigs are mixed up, Even when I try previewing each one, somehow I seem to overwrite slot 1. I noticed that slot 1 is always enabled. Not sure how that works. Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers,
    John

• Don't feel bad, I've had mine for nearly a year and somehow don't have the basics down yet. I haven't really taken it to rehearsal until recently because I'm just afraid I've done something wrong, I don't blame the Kemper for anything because I've seen the number of people on this forum that somehow have figured it out. I got gutsy and took it to rehearsal this past Saturday and somehow found out I have a 'Crunch' rig in one of my Marshal performances, at home I've been playing this performance for months with no issue. Two days before rehearsal I connected a pedal to the remote so that I could adjust volume during rehearsal. Now during rehearsal I save little tweaks as we go through the set list and by the end of the night my gains (volumes) on all my rigs (slots) are all mucked up.

Just like I was afraid of!

So on Sunday I research and find...
    1. Default volume is set to pre-stomps - explains why my gain was changing with the pedal
    2. Default setting for volume is per rig - did not consider this when saving rig changes therefore this value was being saved also
    3. Rig change in performance I haven't figured out, I don't even know where the 'crunch' rig came from other than a default rig when starting a new performance.

As far is fixing my performance to replace the 'Crunch' with my original 'Marshall' rig. I haven't been able to fix it, slots swap in rig manager, I get it right, save it on the Kemper, change performance, pick a rig, go back to the "Marshall' performance and it's still mucked up.

I know about the Kemper buffer and things are not really as it seems between rig mananger and the Kemper but eventually I'll figure it out, others obviously have.

I would like someone to treat me as if i was in 1st grade and I have the following scenerio, exactly what steps do they take to accomplish this using rig manager connected to Kemper via USB w/remote
    And I mean EVERY step, every copy-paste step, every Kemper button press, every Remote foot press.

Performance
    1. Marshall 1
    2. Marshall 2
    3. Marshall 3
    4. Crunch <------ Replace this with Marshall 4 from Rig Manager pool
    5. Marshall 5

Sorry for the rambling, just had to vent to someone since my wife could care less. I spent 45 minutes Sunday with your same issue and ended with a bigger mess than I started with.

Again, Sorry for the lengthy post :( But I am having fun! :)

• I work with computers for a living. You'd think I'd have this thing figured out by now. ?( Honestly, after tinkering around with computers all day, when I get home and plug into the Kemper, sometimes I just want to enjoy and not have to be technical. I have some performances I created a while back, but I don't recall exactly what I did. I don't believe I used Rig Manager but I find it so much easier to control with my PC.

I think I got a whole performance created right last night. :thumbup: I opened 2 instances of Rig Manager (Ctrl + N) so I can view Rigs in one and Performances in the other. Working in 1 instance, I created a new performance by dragging and dropping rigs from the 2nd instance into the performance slots. Then I took a screenshot of it, and kept that as a "performance/rig reference". I then switched to another performance and then back again using the footswitch to see if it would stick, and sure enough there would always be something out of order or the wrong rig. :cursing: Using the screenshot for a rig reference, I re-dragged and dropped rigs to the performance slots that didn't "take" the first time. I then clicked on preview on each slot, and watched it display in Rig Manager, on the Kemper, and on the Kemper remote. For some reason that worked. I'm gonna mess with it some more tonight. I'll let you know if I come up with a easier way to do this. Probably just one stupid step I'm missing... :P

Edited once, last by riplead: Repeated line ().

• Hey Monkey Man,

Thanks, I appreciate that! Honestly not sure if I ever posted or introduced myself so my bad.

I'm an old-school 80's type of player who just plays at home now for fun. I'm into players like EVH, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, etc. but I like a lot of other types of music too.

I've been jamming with 2 buds most every Saturday night in my basement for probably 15 years now. I am spoiled with a nice man-cave including Roland drums, Presonus StudioLive mixer, etc. Oh yeah, and the really important things like a bar and a bathroom! :D

I love the Kemper, but the only thing I wish it would do would be to get musical feedback like I used to get with my Marshalls. I guess that's hard to emulate as I think that has to do with the positioning of your guitar in relation to where your guitar amp is. Not sure how they could re-create that.

• Hey Paults,

I saw a video where some guy was getting feedback with his Kemper and some studio monitors, but it seemed like it was limited to one note. Is it possible to move your guitar around with the settings suggested and get different notes? Haven't messed with the PureCab functionality yet, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

• I know the pickups are like microphones but are you actually able to swing your guitar around and get different pitches of feedback?

The last time I could get that was when I was plugging into JCM800's through a 4/12 cabinet. I used to have 2 of them and used a TC Electronics chorus between them. Man, what glorious sounds you could get with that.

• I know the pickups are like microphones but are you actually able to swing your guitar around and get different pitches of feedback?

You could use a wah to help guide and focus the feedback frequencies.

• Hey Paults,

I saw a video where some guy was getting feedback with his Kemper and some studio monitors, but it seemed like it was limited to one note. Is it possible to move your guitar around with the settings suggested and get different notes? Haven't messed with the PureCab functionality yet, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Different relative locations can make different notes more prone to feedback, but some guitars tend to feedback mostly at their resonant frequencies. It can be done with studio monitors when you turn them up. Players who make feedback an integral part of their live performance style get used to the onstage locations that make different notes sustain.

• Ok, I kind of got it working. I'm still opening Rig Manager in 2 windows, 1 to view rigs and 1 to view performances. I just have be sure that the slot I want to write to is highlighted and enabled on the kemper. I noticed that when I switch slots with the kemper to where I want to write, it switches back to slot 1 a lot. It seems when I choose the slot with the foot pedal and then select a rig and store, it saves. Probably still doing something wrong but it's working. Figured I'd least provide an update. Ok, got to get back to jamming. Cheers!

Edited once, last by riplead: misnomer ().

• Different relative locations can make different notes more prone to feedback, but some guitars tend to feedback mostly at their resonant frequencies. It can be done with studio monitors when you turn them up. Players who make feedback an integral part of their live performance style get used to the onstage locations that make different notes sustain.

This!
    Steve Vai is a good example for it. You can see him working with this position marks in G 3 vids. Mostly at the end of playing "For the love of god". Satriani also, i saw him several times live . What those guys do on stage is ( imho) impossible with the kpa. Vai uses 2 legacy amp and Joe 3 Marshalls live and they have 4x12 cabs nearby. A lot of power.
    I use sone rigs which create nice feedback on some notes ( i didn't get it with my Strat and the landau pu's, it comes up with my petrucci gits) but it's far away from the feedback feel of my old jcm 800 .

Cheers
    Frank

• It is also possible with the KPA, if you use a similar set up. How many cabinets do you want to use onstage? ;)

Volume-based feedback requires volume. If I were to turn my KPA/DXR10 up to a traditional "stage volume and vocals" level, I could get the same kind of feedback at the same distance as I would using a regular amp.

At the volume I normally use onstage, I turn the face of the guitar toward the DXR (to my right), and can get that kind of feedback at around one meter from the cabinet.

TIP: This is especially true with Pure Cab turned up to around 3.5 (using "non-metal" gain rigs) PC makes the feedback seem to "sing" more easily for me.

At lower volumes, you have to get closer to the speaker, and/or may have to use more gain or amp compression.