Noise gate update plans?

• Just got myself a Kemper and iam blown away by the sound quality and all the possibilities.

However for modern style metal the lack of control for attack/release on the noisegate realy disapoints me, the gate works very well but to me it falls short on the way you can set it up.

It doesnt make sense to me to leave these settings out.

I hope there are some future plans for a gate update that includes the most normal settings you get from a noisegate: threshold, attack, release?

Best regards Anders Vohs.

• Hi and welcome!

As @DaanJM mentioned, the Noise Gate stomps are what you should use if you want those short, percussive notes for modern metal. The global noise gate, which has its own hardware knob, is more of a noise suppressor (to fight signal hiss/hum) than a gate. From your question, I'm not sure which of these options you're referring to (as neither have adjustable attack/release settings).

For both the 2:1 and 4:1 stomps, the attack time is fixed at 50 microseconds and the release time at 50 milliseconds, "the shortest possible times without introducing any signal degradation" according to the manual. This is kind of "the Kemper way": instead of offering a lot of complicated individual controls, they often aim for the optimal configuration for real-life use, or a single knob that goes through different useful configurations.*

If you need more granular control, it doesn't hurt to ask, but to have any chance of swaying Mr. Kemper you'll have to explain what settings you want to use that aren't available now. :)

* An example of this is the "Stereo" parameter in the pitch shifter effect: instead of individual panning settings for each voice, you get a single knob that intelligently pans the original signal and the two pitch-shifted voices, taking into account the current balance settings, to create the stereo setup you probably would have chosen anyway if you had three individual knobs. The Kemper team really like this kind of well thought-out simplicity, so to add extra knobs usually takes some convincing.

• Yes i did try 2:1 and 4:1 they work very well. But for the more "percussive/mechanical" style metal i do the gate does not close fast enuff.

It would just be nice to have the possibility deciding for one self what specefic gate setting you want.

• Robrecht

I agree with you. its easy to go. and i also like the simplicity in that work flow for sure.

But when you think about it. off all the possibilities the Kemper has. and thats alot. not being able to control the gate as you want seems odd. and i realy miss that option.

• Enyways Thanks for the answers guys. :)

I hope you don't misinterpret what i meant. i Really dig the Kemper :D

I guess the optimal thing for me "besides the two stomp gates allready there" would be an extra Gate that has the option to control the parameters as you please. :)

• Yes i did try 2:1 and 4:1 they work very well. But for the more "percussive/mechanical" style metal i do the gate does not close fast enuff.

It would just be nice to have the possibility deciding for one self what specefic gate setting you want.

For a while I still preferred my Isp g string II, having a loop in it was like 2 gates in one. Since then I've learned to live without it. I use to use 2 very tight gates when I had my Pod Hd500 for those same styles. (They were set wayyyyyy over the top and at times was too much)

Two things since then, 1. I've changed my playing style a little bit while I've adjusted my ears. 2. I found that I can get a super tight gate sound if I use more than one gate on the Kemper both with high thresholds 5.0 or higher along with the built-in the front gate set at about 7.2 on average.

I wouldn't mind having the extra controls though, the pod did when they upgraded their firmware and added the Hard Gate. Pod life before the Hard Gate seemed almost barbaric in a 1st world problems sense lol

Anyway, hope this helps and/or inspires! Cheers :D

• I avoid the main noise gate completely. It kills so much of the tone even when set to minimal values of over 1... completely unusable gate IMO.

I find the stomp 4:1 gate works well for heavily distorted sounds with the treshhold set to anything from 1 to 3. Everything above 4 again kills sound...

• +1 for multiple Gates

I'm using 3 Gates in total for my HI-Gain Sound. The first, fixed Gate as described in the manual only for removing noise. In the Stomp section i use a Gate, a GreenScream an ohne more Gate. I tried a few different settings, with the Gate types an thresholds and finally I'm happy. More than before with my Analog Rig.

But I used the isp decimator and mxr NoiseClamp before, so they had only ohne knob too...

• Awesome_Elvis

Yeah, I also used the hd500 (4 cable way with my Framus Cobra) with multiple gates. It was also insanely tight. (like you say, maybe too much) but still the option of settings on the gate really did the trick for me to finetune what kinda feel it had. (also at what volumes and settings)

Timbo6

I tried that at first and it didnt convince me. Maybe i didnt put in the right amount of time :) I will for sure give it another go with multible gates.

the main thing i had a problem with on the kemper gate (i can only talk for my self) was that i felt/heard a kind of "swell" in the end of the stopped note that didnt trancelate well for the goal of the sound. that said i think the kemper gate is really forgiving and does all the right thing. but for the agressive tight stuff i can't get it quit right yet.

its only micro stuff but still something that puts aside what i wanna achieve with the tone.

Cheers guys! :)

• I cannot see a point of making these parameters adjustable.
    You would set them to the extreme anyway, and this is what we did for you.

The perceived release time is not only dependent of the time, but also of the intensity (treshold).
    I am sure the 4:1 Gate with appropriate intensity will make it for you , as it made it for the others.

You are probably right on that one. I set the parameters on my gates for my Pod HD to ridiculously unnecessary amounts and still didn't get them right( in some cases they were too tight AND they still fed back at times).

The 4:1 is not the same as my pod but I'm pretty sure that's a good thing. It's a more, naturally smooth sounding in the decay and feels better on the release , I think. I also use less gain the louder I get and that helps a lot.

On a kinda related note, if you made a Gated Reverb , would those kinds of gate parameters be useful and applicable in the context of a Gated Reverb? Thank you in advance :)

The perceived release time is not only dependent of the time, but also of the intensity (treshold).
    I am sure the 4:1 Gate with appropriate intensity will make it for you , as it made it for the others.

I cannot see why not, there's been so many threads like this in the past about this same issue. A bedroom player who uses just a tiny bit of gain might have zero issues, but a guy who plays metal with super loud drummer in a practice room/venue is a whole another story.

i'm currently using 4 gates on my rig (knob + 3stomps) and it's close, but still not enough. Knob gate is around 3.5 and stomps 7.5 each. I'm using sinmix uberschall profile for my rhythm and my gain is set to 6.0 (around 12.30/1o'clock). There's still some noticable squeling between palmuted riffs. My chain only has gates and a graphic eq, no green screams or anything. i've also tried 3 different guitars and it's not about pickups having microphonic feedback.
    I also come from line6 pod and only thing i miss about it is the hard gate, it's a shame that it's not included in the kemper, it would resolve alot of noise issues.

• for me the Kemper gate is perfekt...even on extreme Highgain settings.
    Its as good as my ISP Decimator G-string..if not even better....

Global Gate 5....4:1 Stompgate treshold 4 works perfekt for me live (even gain 8-9).
    If you still have feedback on fast short chuggs you may stand to close to the cab