"Performance Building Strategies" How do you go about it?

• Paults suggested this topic for discussion.

What format do you use, to create your performances?

Personal, coming from a long list of tube amps and just as many pedalboard configurations I struggle with the thought of basically having the option of five different amplifiers onstage behind me and all those pedalboards accompany each.

I tend to have a hard time not using the same amp profile for all five slots. Again, I think in my mind I'm trying to stay traditional with the configuration.

Do many of you run multiple different amp profiles within one performance?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Less is more!

• I use 3 sounds per performance ... use the remote as well ! so an unused switch between the slots: clean , lead & rhythm (some fx buttons, wah standard)

I have performances called : rock , crunch , classic , heavy & 80's , so each performance has the same button lay-out only the sounds correspond with the song era we play

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I use 3 sounds per performance ... use the remote as well ! so an unused switch between the slots: clean , lead & rhythm (some fx buttons, wah standard)

I have performances called : rock , crunch , classic , heavy & 80's , so each performance has the same button lay-out only the sounds correspond with the song era we play

Raf

Thanks Raf!

I failed to mention above that I'm also using the remote.

What happen if you accidentally hit one of the unused switches during a live show? Mute, no sound?

Although I'm just starting to really think deeply about how to create performances on the remote, my original thought was that I might prefer a flip-flop of the two rows. Amp profiles I-IIII and Stomp/FX switches X five across the lower level. Just for fear of accidentally hitting a loud or clean profile in the middle of a song.

Less is more!

• Great thread. As a newb I'm going through the same thing. I havent used my Kemper and remote live yet...just in practice. First gig in 2 weeks. But it IS a struggle to figure out what to do when you have so many options.

For now for my first pass at this, what I'm trying to do is come up with 3 different performances that have everything that will cover all my needs. For example I figured out my "basics performance" is as follows with a goal of my tone getting dirtier as my rigs move from left to right :

Clean
    Slightly overdriven
    Medium gain
    Heavy gain
    Solo

Thats probablya pretty basic rig format that would work for most people. So I have these basic rigs in performance 1. I'm also building in a "morph" for each of these rigs that gives me a 4-6 db volume boost (still figuring out what works) by pushing the rig button twice. Next, I can add in pedals in the effects buttons for each rig so they can be turned on and off as needed.

Peformance 2 is for some alternate rigs that I need. For example, I need a nice clean with a slapback delay for the song Girl Crush. I need a nice medium gain with lush delay for the solo on that song. I also need a nice "funk" type Nile Rogers tone for some funk songs we do (with medium gain solos'). So I set up my Performace 2 rigs as follows:
    clean/slapback
    funk clean
    medium gain (with lush delay I can turn on and then morph to volume boost for solo tone)
    heavy gain
    Solo

The goal is that even though this rig is more for "one off's"...I want to have some of my standard rigs in it so I dont have to switch back and forth between performances.

Then Performance 3, which is a work in progress, will be more for heavier drive heavier delay things.

This is where my head is at now with setting this up. I'm sure i'll change my mind as I learn what works and what doesnt or get inspiration to do things better. Just going through practice and trying this has been a good learning experience. one thing I may change already is if I can set up 2 different delays for one rig...I can eliminate a whole Rig. (and then maybe a whole performance.)

FWIW, I hate foot tapping and changing performances between songs. We try to go very fast between songs.

Also, may be helpful to say what style of music you play. I play in a cover band so I need to cover tones from pop to rock to modern country. So lots of different sounds needed.

• Good question! I'd like to hear how others do it as well.

I usually go about it with one amp profile per performance. But I'll vary the gain of that amp in 3 slots, clean, crunch, dirt.

I don't like switching up amps within one gig, I worry the mix will change too much for the FOH to handle. If I do change amps, I try to make sure it's voiced similarly. Seems like a more failsafe way.

• I don't like switching up amps within one gig, I worry the mix will change too much for the FOH to handle. If I do change amps, I try to make sure it's voiced similarly. Seems like a more failsafe way.

I think this is a very sensible approach. Only bands that work hard with their own soundman should deviate from this.

• I have tried lots of approaches and continue to experiment and tweak but generally here is what I do:

1) Each performance is normally (but not always) based on the same amp, generally the same channel, config
    2) From left to right usually starts clean with increasing gain to a heavily distorted
    3) morphing is setup mainly to boost the volume 3-4 db
    4) Stomps/effects are saved as section presets so that if I go vertically up/down to other performances, the stomp/effect sections are mostly the same slot to slot within the current performances in rotation. (in other words, if I am in Slot 2 of Performance A, and my Stomps are Phase Shifter and Clean Boost and I switch to Performance B, Phase Shifter and Clean Boost will also be available in Slot 2)
    5) I generally start out/stay with one performance bank (and there for one amp) within a gig but will sometimes switch through others as a quick attempt to find something that might sit better in the mix or fit a particular song

This is still not quite perfect. I am hoping and holding off for some improvement in the way the Kemper manages/handles/allows you to use and implement presets (both individual and section) so eventually I forsee having 'sections' of performances that the slots going left to right are the same, but vertically different Stomp/Preset sections and these 'patterns' repeat themselves for different amps. Hope that makes sense.

• Thanks Raf!
    I failed to mention above that I'm also using the remote.

What happen if you accidentally hit one of the unused switches during a live show? Mute, no sound?

Although I'm just starting to really think deeply about how to create performances on the remote, my original thought was that I might prefer a flip-flop of the two rows. Amp profiles I-IIII and Stomp/FX switches X five across the lower level. Just for fear of accidentally hitting a loud or clean profile in the middle of a song.

Nothing happens it's unused , I also disabled the looper , so hitting that no problem either
    Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I have a similar setup to some stated above. I use a Kemper foot controller now, but used to have the FCB1010 with the Uno4Kemper chip.

• All performance levels go from clean to heavy on a left to right basis (usually)
    • A couple performance levels are set aside for very specific song usage. These generally aren't used all night long, but rather once in a particular song (like U2 "Streets have no name").
    • My top right efx button is ALWAYS a pure boost of 3 db.
    • My top left most efx button is ALWAYS either a green screamer, or a pure boost of 2.5db for more gain.
    • The second to the most right button is only used for turning on/off the delay in a rig
    • The second to the most left button is used for special efx in a rig (auto-wah in I'm just a girl lead for example).

I have heard some here say they have a performance level per song. For me, that is too much to remember and to work with live as our set list constantly changes (especially since music for me is a hobby ..... ok an addiction that is supported by my day job ;) ).

Hope this helps.

• Same amp.. clean, pushed , rock , lead , and last is always an ambient effect rig for volume swells or perhaps heavy reverb rig for tremolo picking etc.. (I am a worship Artist) I also tend to have multiple delays or reverbs available on a flip flop basis on clean and pushed channels. I even tend to have multiple performances with some variations of the same next to each other in the profiler. I cover a lot of ground as a worship artist.