Can we have a Kemper modelling guitar?

• Hello,

Is it possible to have a Kemper modelling guitar? A guitar that can simulate any other guitar sound at least something that works in accordance with KPA. Or, maybe some software patch that can make your guitar sound like any other guitar.

I know that it is not as same as profiling amps but still, someone who can provide such a technology might also provide innovation in another field and provide a product that can rival products like Line6 variax.

I am so amazed with the Kemper technology even though I don't have enough money to buy one yet.

P.S.: possible product should also have a sustainer.

Thanks.

• Hi seckin, and welcome, mate.

The problem here is that one cannot Profile a guitar using the Kemper Philosophy™ 'cause guitars don't accept audio input and transform it into something else, so the changes the Kemper would normally map just aren't there. The L6 method, AFAIK, involves clever use of convolution coupled with various techniques, resulting IMHO in very-authentic-sounding models. It's easy to say that the Strat, Tele or whatever model doesn't sound like "the real thing", but one must understand that every Strat and Tele sounds different, and the real-world guitars used in constructing the various models are therefore represented in the preset banks.

IMHO the L6 modelling has come a long way, and is very-good these days, so it's tough to see how it's gonna be Trumped™ by any significant margin by anyone.

• Hi seckin, and welcome, mate.

The problem here is that one cannot Profile a guitar using the Kemper Philosophy™ 'cause guitars don't accept audio input and transform it into something else, so the changes the Kemper would normally map just aren't there. The L6 method, AFAIK, involves clever use of convolution coupled with various techniques, resulting IMHO in very-authentic-sounding models. It's easy to say that the Strat, Tele or whatever model doesn't sound like "the real thing", but one must understand that every Strat and Tele sounds different, and the real-world guitars used in constructing the various models are therefore represented in the preset banks.

IMHO the L6 modelling has come a long way, and is very-good these days, so it's tough to see how it's gonna be Trumped™ by any significant margin by anyone.

It is true that a guitar doesn't accept audio input. But it does accept inductance changes. A signal is a signal.

If Amp-profiling is possible, which i wouldn't have dreamed it was before, maybe a guitar profiler is too. A pedal perhaps? Where i can capture my frriend playing his tele...and then play "him with his tele" on my les paul at a gig :)

• I would prefer a more general solution: a guitar playing robot. It would play in my Style, just without my flaws. I would meanwhile sit in the audience and have a couple of beers. AFAIK this has been done already by Kraftwerk. No guitars, though and hence no punk.

Ne travaillez jamais.

• Not sure they could do profiling

What they could do though...is create such a guitar similar to a variax, call it a "Kempax". Give the Kempax give it an standard guitar jack and a digital one.
    This digital jack could send the audio from the guitar (digitally at least) allow the guitar to send and receive midi messages, as well as transmit midi notes, so you could use it to play one of the Roland devices.

Pair the Kempax with an external mini pedal sized communication box that has a "Kempax" input that powers the guitar, but that also doubles as a wireless and communicates with a paired Kempax, so you could use your Kempax wirelessly, or with a digital cable connected to the little box. All the same info sent to and from the digital jack could also be sent wirelessly communicating with the box.
    The communication box should have a s/pdif out so that it can send a digital signal to the Kemper, and analog out, so you could use your Kempax with a regular amp, or the Kemper's analog input if you prefer (which you could already do anyway with the Kempax guitar's standard guitar jack, but this way you could still utilize the wireless ability plus midi). The connection box should have standard midi in and out jacks so that it could communicate back and forth with the Kemper or any other midi device.

The combination of the Kempax and it's dedicated control box would allow you to:
    1) have the sound of a plethora of guitars and tunings similar to the Variax
    2) use the Kempax to change rigs, turn on and off slots, or send other midi messages to whatever devices you have
    3) have the sounds and tunings built into the Kempax accessed through midi and rig changes and perhaps other messages the Kemper could send without changing rigs (if they ever get around to improving midi capabilities like they hinted at in the past) And for that matter, any midi device, such as s third party controller could send guitar or tuning change messages to the Kempax.
    4) Use the Kempax as a midi guitar to play synths, like one of those Roland ready guitars and play any midi controlled soft synth or sound modules.
    5) be able to do all these things wirelessly or though the digital cable that's connected to the communication box.
    6) ability to simply use the Kempax with a regular guitar amp, either with just the sounds of the Kempax through it's analog guitar output, or even wirelessly with the connection box's analog out connected to a regular amp.
    7) If a Kemper II ever comes out, build all the features of the connection box into the Kemper II.

Finally, make non-ugly guitars, as opposed to most of the Variax line.
    It's like taking the best features of the Variax, fishman triple play, Roland ready midi guitar, and combining them into one instrument that could be equally at home with a Kemper amp or any other setup.

• Thank you all for your replies and thanks to Monkey_Man for his welcome message.

One can use an apparatus such as an electromagnetic transducer which you can place on top of the strings and it will induce certain vibrations on the properly tuned strings, then the output would be analysed and the characteristics of the guitar will be defined. This can be considered as a profiling (I believe this is what project_grudge trying to say). Then you can place this profile on a "modelling guitar". It doesn't have to be a modelling guitar by it's own, maybe it can work in accordance with KPA and use the signal processing power of KPA.

Grooguit's idea seems interesting but I am not sure If I understood it correctly.