Merged Question - For Recording Direct

• Hi all.
    I just bought a Kemper last week and love it. Forgive me if this is a common question - I have tried to search for the answer before asking on the forums and google....
    When recording direct - and using profiles by Top Jimi or M Britt - should I use Merged profiles, or does it matter?
    I can hear a slight difference between merged and non-merged, but what I hear doesn't dictate that one sounds better than the other - it just sounds a bit different.

So I'm real unclear on what is best for direct recording, and the detailed overall differences in profiles.
    Thanks!

• With "cab" activated, there should not be a (big) difference in sound between both - at least in theory. But some sellers may use a di box that colours the tone and influences the amount of gain of the direct profiles they have taken from an amp...

When cab section is turned off and while using an external cab (or impulse response or any other cab from your rigs), the merged profile guarantees you the original / identical sound of the amp. Studio profiles without cab: Kemper is just "guessing" (or calculating) where to separate the amp from the cab.

Try what you like best. No fixed rules. I often like a merged profile combined with cab from a studio profile for example - sounds less muddy sometimes. And some studio profiles work great with external cabs too, some not so well.

Edited 2 times, last by Ibot39 ().

• Merged profiles are designed for playing through a regular guitar cabinet (with the cab off in the monitor out), so if we are talking about direct recordings, then go for studio profiles, they will perform better than their merged equivalent in that scenario.

If done right (including suitable di box and proper refining) a merged profile is the perfect "all in one" solution: direct part for external cab, but also ideal with cab(s) for recording "direct", as Westbrook stated. Guido's merged profiles for example fit perfect in both cases.

• Hey thanks so much fellows for the answers. I greatly appreciate the help.
    It looks like there are some basic guidelines but no hard & fast rules which is fine.
    For example, the Top Jimi profiles I used sounded fine merged or not, so it would just be a matter of taste at that point I gather.
    I imagine it's different depending on the author, so I'll be sure to let my ears be the final judge.
    Thanks again all!

• The differences between Merged and Studio profiles are pretty subtle. I prefer the Studio profiles for recording, but honestly, it'd probably be hard to tell the difference if you heard just the Merged profile. The trickiest part is just finding the profile that works perfectly in the track, whether it's merged or studio would almost be secondary. Happy hunting!

• There is NO sound difference between a Studio Profile and a Merged Profile, if the cabinet simulation is activated. It's exactly the same. So, for recording it doesn't matter, which one you use.

There is only a sound difference, if you connect a guitar speaker cabinet and activate "Monitor Cab Off" for that purpose. And this difference only affects the signal to drive that guitar speaker cabinet. The signal on the MAIN OUTS or SPDIF including the cabinet simulation will still be identical amongst Studio and Merged Profile.