Need some in-ear help

• Hi Guys,

I'm looking to make the move to in-ears and need some help. I'm looking for recommendations on what will give me the best overall sound for $500 or less. Most reviews that I find, just review what the in-ears sound like for general listening of MP3s. I'm only concerned about how good they sound live, on stage in modern rock settings. I obviously play guitar, but I'd like to have something that gives me a good mix of everything (drums, vocals, bass, etc.,) with the guitar being priority #1. Keep in mind, I've already got the Sennheiser G3 transmitter. So I've got $500 to spend on just the in-ear buds.

I have a cheap pair of $50 Audio Technica ATH-M30x over the ear headphones that actually sound decent. So I'd like to find something at LEAST as good as those. I was looking at Westone W40. Is this my best bet? Or is there something better that I should be considering?

Thanks!

• I just switched to Stagediver SD-3 In Ears. These are a compromise of universal and custom fitted inears. I had custom in ears before and the SD-3 fit just as perfect as customs do. The 3 drivers provide a great sound and i am totally satisfied. You could say "custom quality for universal price"...

http://www.inear-monitoring.eu…monitoring-stagediver.htm

• Custom molds aren't an option due to a $500 budget. I bought the Westone UM Pro 30. We'll see how they sound this week. I was advised against getting the Westone W40 by my Sweetwater rep. He said for guitarists, that 4th driver won't make a huge difference. He said its more important for bassists and drummers, and I may in fact not like the 4th driver very much because it can mud up the low end just a tad. So he advised me to go with the triple driver option that was $100 cheaper. Was able to get them brand new for $299 (using a $100 off coupon code). Fingers crossed that they sound good. You can't test in-ear buds due to health reasons.

• I had a pair of the Westone UM Pro 10 $150 USD), and really didnt like them. They distorted horribly at moderate volume. Lost them somewhere.

Had a pair of Shure 315 and liked them, but stepped on one of the drivers and crushed it. ($180 USD)

Have a friend who has used the 64 Audio U2 pair (universal fit) for over a year. He loves them ($399 USD).

Have heard lots of good things about the Westone universal fits. I have no doubt you will like the UM Pro 30's. I'm wondering if the UM10's I had were faulty in some way? Please let us know what you think of them after you've used them for awhile!

I have 1964 v6 and they sound great, it might be worth finding a dealer that stocks several IEMs and try them all out

Agreed. I've been using 64 Audio A6's for about a year. Custom molded and not cheap, but damn.. Love Love Love them.

I lost and broke the cheaper ones, and would be seriously pissed at myself if I did that to the A6's - but as they are expensive I find I treat them a lot better and make sure I put them back where they belong :) So far so good!

• Just as a follow up, I got my Sennheiser EW300 G3 unit and ordered the Westone UM Pro 30 earbuds. Tried them together for the first time last night and they sound AMAZING! The Westones sound better than my AudioTechnica headphones. And the fact that I got the Sennheiser and the Westones brand new for $1,027 made it even better. The other guys in my band heard what they sound like and now they're going the same route. I couldn't believe how clear everything was. It sounded like listening to a loud CD.

• i have found that trying to get a stereo sound field really helps with the kemper/iem. monitor out of our board (presonus) has 6 outs and there is 4 of us so i can take 2 and feed them into each channel or most times i take a xor splitter and feed that into both channels. i use an akg 4500 with some internal space settings. (that is even if running the kemper in mono and the pa in mono, to me it decompresses the kemper sound)