Anyone else using a patchpanel to save the Kempers own connectors (rack version)?

• Hey all!

I'm using a 1U Patchpanel in the back of the Kemper (see attachment) for the midi and in/outputs
    I do this so the connectors of the patchpanel can remain connected on the Kemper. There is still plenty space for any heat to leave the case.
    This way the connectors on the back of the Kemper will stay in good condition.
    In case someone pulls one of the cables it won't hurt the Kemper but the patchpanel instead.

Am I paranoid or are there more Kemper-ers out there doing the samen and if so, what's your backpanel looks like?

Just wondering if sharing each others solutions will give me some more ideas on this....

• Im not sure about saving the Kemper connectors is relevant, but....if I were gig I would do something similar just so they are easier to get to and identified better in the dark !

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• Thats pretty sweet. My current method is running any cable that will be under feet underneath my cab with its weight on it. This way any tugging happens at that point rather than the back of the Kemper.

How much is a patchpanel like that?

• Thats pretty sweet. My current method is running any cable that will be under feet underneath my cab with its weight on it. This way any tugging happens at that point rather than the back of the Kemper.
    How much is a patchpanel like that?

To be honest I can't remember anymore, I had it laying here around for years and never used it until now. But I think it's only 10 or 20 bucks. Just keep in mind you buy it without any cables or connectors. So you need to think about how to use it beforehand. So it needs some soldering as well.

• I use a patch panel for XLR and USB. I did the XLR not to save the connectors but its easier at a gig rather than routing around inside my rack case. I put the USB in as it made it easier when conencting Rig Manager.

I bought a punched panel and then ordered the panel connectors...dead easy.

I have also mounted a pick holder and spare batteries for my wireless....my other tip of the week is to get Li-Ion AA rechargeable, so much better than NiCD's!

• I am using a Patchpanel since the first day put the KPA inside the rack. Every connection is routed to the front. I didnt want to open the back lid every time i was using the KPA, thats the main reason for me.
    [Blocked Image: http://c-philipps.com/front.jpg]

I've put my patchpanel in the back.
    Interesting point you bring up here, Because isn't it bad for heat to leave the backlid closed?
    Even though the Kemper doesn't get really hot, it still needs airflow to cool down.
    Am I right?

• As others have said, I use a patch panel, but for the purpose of rapid setup on stage.

2 XLR's for output to the FOH, 1 1/4" for monitor output, USB, 2 MIDI, Ethernet for foot controller (Ethercon for durability).

It makes doing setup a breeze. Best money I ever spent. I'll see if I can get a picture later. I use this panel: https://www.parts-express.com/…panel-for-ep-xlr--262-295.

I had to custom drill holes for the MIDI conectors since they are not standard holes like on this plates.

The big holes are powercon cables that I don't use.

• I've put my patchpanel in the back.
    Interesting point you bring up here, Because isn't it bad for heat to leave the backlid closed?
    Even though the Kemper doesn't get really hot, it still needs airflow to cool down.
    Am I right?

I don´t think that it will cause any problems with overheating. If i am gigging with the rack i open the back because i need to access my spare batteries for my wireless.

[Blocked Image: http://c-philipps.com/back.jpg]

But when i have the rack at home or in the rehearsal room i leave the lid on. Its more convenient to plug everything in that way.

But i don´t think that the KPA will ever get a heat problem inside. Time will tell.... :whistling:

• I was just wondering what would you advice.
    I actually want to make a patchpanel that covers the following

• Alternate input
    • Return input
    • Direct output
    • Monitor output
    • Speaker output
    • Main output L/R
    • Midi In

However, when I search for instance at thomann,I see this: https://www.thomann.de/nl/thon…+afdekplaat_107402_1Those panels only have the same size of drilled holes, whereas the MIDI and jack need different hole sizes to say so.
    There is no 1U panel that exactly is prepared for the connectors mentioned above.
    I can imagine I need to go for the standardized setup (so, 1 type of drillhole fits for every type of connector),is that the so-called D-standard ?? Can anyone clarify.

So what would be the best for me to use?

Looking at all replies in this thread (for which I'm grateful) I think the solution @Franne500 used seems the best match for my needs, correct?

Then of course I need to order the desired connectors and cable.
    Could this also be ordered at Thomann?

Please advise, thanks in advance.

• I usually run cables through the handles on the side of a 4x12 cab to stop them getting tugged. I'm not sure making a live setup more complex is that good of an idea. More cables means more possible issues.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Anyone please?

• You are right, if you use that panel then you can use the D mount ones. I sourced a usb and XLR as these are the ones I regualrly use. I have my speaker lead permanatly connnected inside my flight case so don't use a 1/4 Jack.

This is an example for a 1/4 jack so not sure why that requires a different drill hole?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/14-i…e-socket-in-d-mount-a34qt

There are some midi chassis mount sockets on ebay but unsure they will fit - should do...

BTW - I'm confused way you want ALL of these connectors, you really gonna use them all ? Anyway its just a case of searching for the panel mounts...