Tonewoods are going extinct. So now what?

• Eat this for Mahogany/Rosewood twang :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have a pau ferro fingerboard on my suhr. It's a lovely piece of wood. Tbh I'm not and never have been convinced about how much effect tonewoods have on an electric. I think the pups, amp and number of effects you go thru have a much much bigger impact. I'm sure lots of people feel the same.

I'm perfectly happy without a rosewood or ebony fingerboard ;)

I have Pau Ferro on my Suhr as well. I really like it.

agree also on the electric tonewoods comment.

• @lightbox

Nice..though my custom LesPaul has even better "twang" when I play both golden 50s "coiled" together..

Still for me it is "something like twang" but far from the twang I want to hear from a "good" strat..

But again it is just me and "my ears"..

• I do not care too much because:

I really think that that is no problem ... i have old 100 year old guitar here with all kinds of native woods, like cherry and apple tree and it sounds good ...

imo many sound properies of tonewood come by the quality of the wood and not only which type of wood it is ... i heard so many different sounding mahagony bodys and ash bodies that i really do not care too much by now

the other thing is: do you remember when fender had to made poplar bodys? They sounded different but not bad

and last but not least some woods come with a kind of fetish ... in a blindtest people often would not know the difference but how it looks and feels is important ... but yeah ... i think other woods make great instruments too ... or even carbon ...

• I don like to offend anyone but are we really that strange as musicians;

Would a cook claim that his "basic" means like meat or vegetables "do not have such a big influence on taste like the sauce and the spices";

Would any car maker ever claim that the material of the chassis and the engine are "not as important as the paint and the electronics";

I would like to say that we maybe should care more about "basics" and "roots"..and what else is more "basic" than tonewoods & hardware (I mean bridge,mechanics,nut etc) on a guitar;

I would also like to bring the discussion more on the "chain"..an expensive vintage-guitar will indeed not sound "as pure" if we drown it in highgain and fx..would anyone pay that lot for handmade japanese noodles which have been made just a moment ago by the "star-cook" with mastergrade in a fancy japanese restaurant in little tokyo in duesseldorf only to put some ketchup on it;You can try this if you like.. ..but dont forget that the japanese cook has the knives and not you.. :/

Only a musician will put a ton of sauce (highgain) and cheese(fx) on his handmade noodles aka custom made guitar which would sound great just with a top class amp with a little bit of overdrive and just a bit of spring reverb...just like the japanese cook uses hot water and a few vegetables/spices to underline the taste of his handmade noodles..

• To be fair, all the examples you gave are all integral to the outcome. There is still a scientific debate as to whether wood has any effect on a solid body electric guitar.

As per the video by @lightbox, you can make what is thought of as a "dark" wood in mahogany sound every bit as bright and chimey as a alder/poplar strat. That itself doesn't disprove anything, but it does demonstrate how changing around the components on the body has a dramatic effect. So the question isn't always how much effect wood has, but if wood has any at all (for electrics, that is).

Not trying to fan the flames here, just correcting what I feel is a mischaracterization of the debate.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• you yourself said, "There is still a scientific debate as to whether wood has any effect on a solid body electric guitar", but there really isn't a scientific debate at all, as a matter of fact, science would clearly indicate that any two pieces of wood will never have the same identical tonal response even with guitar pickups.

Just because you snuck that last little bit in there doesn't make it so. There actually is a great matter of physics involved that people more qualified than myself have taken the time to examine. There still exists some ambiguity, so I'm not even saying no such thing exists.

Instead of the face palm, I would appreciate if you can you point me anywhere that any scientific debate or test have shown that there's zero effect of wood type on electric guitar sound or tone.

Well, the burden of proof rests on those making the claim. And plenty of people have done videos, though nearly all of them aren't very scientific, even if interesting.

Regardless, I'm not here to debate this tired mouse wheel that ultimately leads to nowhere, as it always has, only responding to the idea that there is none and mischaracterizations.

• Personally wood is the last thing I think about.

Especially if for people kemper profile is close enough to amp, I don't see how different woods (or other materials) could be an issue.

If it comes down to whether differences exist at all -- I don't know enough to be certain. My phd in physics friend says it does not and laughs at me for asking him; another person of expertise I know say it does.

I can only say that I doubt anyone here would be able to identify when woods change if I put up a test where other parameters, from particular pots to bridge, ect, ect stay the same. If it does happen and someone gets it consistently right, consistently enough to think he's hearing the difference of the wood itself, I'd be inclined to think it'd only happen with guitar DIs or super clean tones.

Even pots advertised as of similar value are not really the same value -- there's variance and it can play a role too, especially with guitar DIs. So even the pots would have to be the same.

And ideally we'd need a robot that strums exactly the same way too.

Edited 2 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• If there's something that can matter to me, it's the following...

You do have an acoustic difference between woods that is easy to feel and hear when playing unplugged.

If I'm playing at home through monitors I can usually hear some of this. It adds to some impression I have of the guitar and hence can influence the way I play.

I'm sure some of it is a mental bias of some kind -- but I believe part of it is also differences in how woods sound from the guitar itself, not considering pickups.

• One question;

Which other woods/guitar/PUs than a "classical LesPaul" would you guys use to achieve the same(!!) solo sound like this(1:20-1:45)

Just curious..

• So this individual is a scientist? 8o:D come on Dimi.I browsed around to see his credentials but noticed a video with high view count. I'm not sure if those views we're repeats of the first 10 seconds where Natalia introduces the video. Any white papers on the subject?

He does have university degrees in physics and is a guitar builder, but no, man, not saying he's a scientist. Just the video was interesting.

I'm not aware of "white papers" on the subject either way.

• One question;

Which other woods/guitar/PUs than a "classical LesPaul" would you guys use to achieve the same(!!) solo sound like this(1:20-1:45)

Just curious..

I have a strat with les paul scale length, humbuckers, alder body. If I record it against my Gibson I can hardly tell the difference -- and that is with different pickups (ok very similar, but different brand per se).

Had the scale length been different I would expect a bigger difference.

• If you can make any guitar sound like you want with "the right PU,the right amp & fx" then why did Mr Strat himself played the LP to record this song:

I call this a "distinct tone" and no player of this earth can change these distinct characteristics..not even a Mark Knopfler..but since he is a true master of tone he uses these distinct tones of wood to paint his beautiful pictures..