Stereo vs mono question

• We never play gigs with just one FOH speaker. There is always a set of speakers on both sides, but that doesn't mean the system can handle stereo. Having speakers on both sides of the stage doesn't mean the system is in stereo. So those are the systems I'm worried about. When we use those, it's basically like having one speaker (even though there is one on each side). So I'm worried that in those instances, I'll get that garbage room/slapback/phasing sound.

Like i said, the mimiq is mono compatible. It will not gain you any bigger sound on a mono system but it will not destroy your sound either.

• Like i said, the mimiq is mono compatible. It will not gain you any bigger sound on a mono system but it will not destroy your sound either.

Awesome, I think it's worth giving it a shot. But I'm still confused on how you've got it hooked up. So if you're just putting it in the effects loop, doesn't that mean you're just using one of the outputs of the Mimiq and sending that back to the Kemper? Wouldn't you need to send both outputs of the Mimiq back to the Kemper to send a stereo signal? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I've never used the loop section of the Kemper because I've been happy with the onboard effects.

• On most digital mixers you can delay channels. What I've done some times, when asked for widening, is to just route the mono input from a guitar to two channels on the desk and add some milliseconds of delay to the second channel. You may also add some additional processing to that channel, but for a very simple setup just cloning and adding delay will do.

• On most digital mixers you can delay channels. What I've done some times, when asked for widening, is to just route the mono input from a guitar to two channels on the desk and add some milliseconds of delay to the second channel. You may also add some additional processing to that channel, but for a very simple setup just cloning and adding delay will do.

But that doubles the guitars TOO exact and just becomes a detune sounding effect. See my question from the previous post about how to hook the Mimiq up to the Kemper's loop. I'm still confused about that last piece.

• But that doubles the guitars TOO exact and just becomes a detune sounding effect. See my question from the previous post about how to hook the Mimiq up to the Kemper's loop. I'm still confused about that last piece.

No detuning in delaying the signal. It will definitely widen the guitar for those in the audience that hear both sides. One may also send each channel to its own effect (ambience etc).

Yeah, you'd need to use stereo return on the Kemper with the Mimiq.

• Since i run 2 stereo FRFR cabs/2 kempers and a Mmiq i can say that Stereo certainly makes a difference LOL.

IF YOU HAVE ONE GUITARIST RUN STEREO
    IF YOU HAVE 2 GUITARIST lIVE NOT SUCH A BIG DEAL.
    My 2 cents (that i dont have left after buying 2 kempers and all that lol)

To hook up Mimiq to Stereo its can be the same as the Ditto X4
    check my thread (slot X, alternative inputs, return, direct output etc)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Thanks guys. I finally got a chance to look at the manual and I see now that the alternative input can also act as another return for stereo loops. So that answered my question.

I'm in a one-guitarist band, so I'm going to give the Mimiq a shot and see how it sounds. Could be a great effect for a small amount of money. And considering I'm not using anything in my effects loop right now, nothing to to lose.

• Great, just on the mimiq, just make sure you experiment with the effect and Dry signal (keep them on the same settings together or the same ) that pedal needs a few tweaks, try just one guitar to start and experiment with the dry/effect settings(tur them up high both on same settings), keep the tightness knob below noon.

For mono, the 4 guitars may not be the best, soon as you turn up the effect and dry signal your mono signal will have a boosted sound, (tightness always just BELOW noon not after) Try one guitar then 2. Hope it helps man :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Thanks guys. I finally got a chance to look at the manual and I see now that the alternative input can also act as another return for stereo loops. So that answered my question.

I'm in a one-guitarist band, so I'm going to give the Mimiq a shot and see how it sounds. Could be a great effect for a small amount of money. And considering I'm not using anything in my effects loop right now, nothing to to lose.

That´s right use both outputs of the mimiq into both the return and alternative input. Set the mimiq to "1 dub", with tightness between 11:00 and 13:00. The levels for dry and effect need to be fully turned up, but the levels were not exactly equal in my setup. So i need to reduce one of the levels a little bit. Also make sure you update to firmware 1.1. This requires a special procedure as listed in the manual. Simply connecting it to your PC will not work.

• Having speakers on both sides of the stage doesn't mean the system is in stereo.

It depends on what amplifier you use.
    It was in the beginning of the 70ies the last time I used mixer with amplifier or powermixer without a pan controller for setting a mono channel in a stereo panorama.

I would be surprised If you use monomixer with only one output channel.

• Since the beginning of the 70's?
    That means @Sharry has been playing even before i was born whoa.. :D
    You must be good at licks and chops by now ^^

Ash

• Okay, so, I bought the Mimiq pedal tonight. Hooked it up to the Kemper using the stereo loop and tossed on my headphones. Let's just say that I wish I had put on an adult diaper because I'm pretty sure I spooge-stained my favorite pair of jeans. This pedal along with the Kemper's internal effects is an UNREAL combination. I've got a gig this weekend and will test it out in full stereo at gig volume using the PA. If it sounds as good as it did tonight, I'm divorcing my wife, moving to Utah, buying a 2nd Mimiq pedal and marrying them both!

I've never been able to get that old school Zakk Wylde sound from songs like Mr. Tinkertrain, but with this doubler in stereo, with a little micro pitch for a chorus effect, it was as close as I've ever heard without actually layering multiple tracks in a DAW. The idea of having that sound live in a one-guitar band and oh . . . oh. . OH. . . dammit. . . . there goes another pair of jeans!

Thanks to all who recommended this thing!!

• I'm feeling pretty confident it will. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. I'm running it in stereo, so there shouldn't be any phase issues. I'm not generally easy to impress, but man, this thing is badass through the headphones. Even if it doesn't sound great through the PA, I'm keeping it because it sounds that good and is that much fun to use in through the headphones. I'll update again after my gig.

• Okay, so, I bought the Mimiq pedal tonight. Hooked it up to the Kemper using the stereo loop and tossed on my headphones. Let's just say that I wish I had put on an adult diaper because I'm pretty sure I spooge-stained my favorite pair of jeans. This pedal along with the Kemper's internal effects is an UNREAL combination. I've got a gig this weekend and will test it out in full stereo at gig volume using the PA. If it sounds as good as it did tonight, I'm divorcing my wife, moving to Utah, buying a 2nd Mimiq pedal and marrying them both!

I've never been able to get that old school Zakk Wylde sound from songs like Mr. Tinkertrain, but with this doubler in stereo, with a little micro pitch for a chorus effect, it was as close as I've ever heard without actually layering multiple tracks in a DAW. The idea of having that sound live in a one-guitar band and oh . . . oh. . OH. . . dammit. . . . there goes another pair of jeans!

Thanks to all who recommended this thing!!

Great, have fun :thumbup:

If Christoph and his team could replicate this pedal as an internal effect i would be over the moon. It seems to process the audio very differently compared to other ADT devices. When you slightly touch your guitar you can hear each touch shift the doubled sound. I got the impression it has some sort of transient recognition going on.

By the way the mimiq also prodocues very interesting results when used on vocal tracks. Since i have my KPA hooked up via SPDIF i recently tried routing a dry vocal track through the KPA with everything disabled but the mimiq and recorded the stereo output.

• Great, have fun :thumbup:
    If Christoph and his team could replicate this pedal as an internal effect i would be over the moon. It seems to process the audio very differently compared to other ADT devices. When you slightly touch your guitar you can hear each touch shift the doubled sound. I got the impression it has some sort of transient recognition going on.

By the way the mimiq also prodocues very interesting results when used on vocal tracks. Since i have my KPA hooked up via SPDIF i recently tried routing a dry vocal track through the KPA with everything disabled but the mimiq and recorded the stereo output.

One more question. When I've put this in my "x" slot and I'm using the stereo loop. When I'm in the parameters for the stereo loop, I have an option to set it for "pre" or "post". Which is the best place for this? I didn't really hear any difference when I toggled them. I think it MIGHT have sounded a LITTLE better when set to pre, but that could have just been in my head.

• One more question. When I've put this in my "x" slot and I'm using the stereo loop. When I'm in the parameters for the stereo loop, I have an option to set it for "pre" or "post". Which is the best place for this? I didn't really hear any difference when I toggled them. I think it MIGHT have sounded a LITTLE better when set to pre, but that could have just been in my head.

This is only important if you really use the mix function of the fx loop. Can be useful for spillover effects. Since you are sending the the signal completely through that FX loop path, it is of no concern here.